Charismatic To Old Friends

Started by afleetphil, October 26, 2016, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afleetphil

Great news. Charismatic heading to Old Friends end of November. Never forget the photo of jockey Chris Antley holding Charismatics injured front leg after the 1999 Belmont. Chris you are a hero. Thanks.

Senator L

That's really great to hear  :chickendance:

CA_Chrome

I don't even have the words to say how much this means to me. Thank you Old Friends, Mrs. Lewis and all the people who are making this happen. I was heartbroken about Chris and often wonder if his life would have been different if Charismatic had not broken down while leading that Belmont Stakes.

curtis

Quote from: CA_Chrome on October 26, 2016, 04:58:48 PM
I don't even have the words to say how much this means to me. Thank you Old Friends, Mrs. Lewis and all the people who are making this happen. I was heartbroken about Chris and often wonder if his life would have been different if Charismatic had not broken down while leading that Belmont Stakes.
The Chris Antley death was very sad.  I always wondered if maybe he was bi-polar and his choices for self-medication were the worst possible substances he could have chosen.  What was further interesting was that Lukas first offered the mount on Charismatic to Laffit Pincay Jr. but because Pincay was closing in on Shoemaker's record, The Pirate declined and chose to stay home.  So in essence, Antley got the mount because Pincay decided to ride some claimers for Bill Spawr at Hollywood Park instead of a live Derby mount.  You can't blame Pincay, he and Charismatic were beat pretty handily by General Challenge in the Santa Anita Derby.  That was before we found out you couldn't haul General Challenge across the street and expect him to run.  Odd how things work out.  I'm glad Charismatic is going to live out his days in KY where his US fans can have easier access to him.

Print
User actions