G2 Los Alamitos Derby, 9 furlongs, July 5

Started by Man o Taz, June 19, 2014, 07:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

Quote from: peeptoad on July 02, 2014, 04:42:30 AM
Looks like Mike Smith will ride Shared Belief and the projected field will be short: Can the Man, Candy Boy, Friendswith K Mill, Top Fortitude, and Tonito M, in addition to SB.

I've been hearing Bayern also ... but who knows? Guess we'll know soon!

If he makes it ... a field with Shared Belief, Bayern, Top Fortitude and Candy Boy, while kind of small, looks quite impressive to me. I see the win contention being with Shared Belief, Bayern and Top Fortitude. 

peeptoad

Quote from: The Tin Man on July 02, 2014, 08:07:07 AM
I've been hearing Bayern also ... but who knows? Guess we'll know soon!

If he makes it ... a field with Shared Belief, Bayern, Top Fortitude and Candy Boy, while kind of small, looks quite impressive to me. I see the win contention being with Shared Belief, Bayern and Top Fortitude.

That info came from DRF... yeah, we will know soon if Bayern is to run. His inclusion would really strengthen the field imo. As it stands Shared Belief should go off heavily favored, despite the fact that he will be making his dirt debut.

The Tin Man

Quote from: peeptoad on July 02, 2014, 08:55:52 AM
That info came from DRF... yeah, we will know soon if Bayern is to run. His inclusion would really strengthen the field imo. As it stands Shared Belief should go off heavily favored, despite the fact that he will be making his dirt debut.

Top Fortitude is on fire ... he's got a real shot at the win here regardless.

peeptoad

Quote from: The Tin Man on July 02, 2014, 09:16:06 AM
Top Fortitude is on fire ... he's got a real shot at the win here regardless.

He has a respectable record... and if Bayern doesn't freak he's a multiple stakes winner. I think he has a shot, but I think the public makes SB the favorite, unless Bayern runs. Two turns is the question for TF. No reason he can't get 9F, but he does seem to have a rather sprint oriented pedigree.
Of course, SB needs to be at his best 2nd off a long layoff as well, and in his first try on dirt.
I don't really think it's disputable that Bayern running would make this field a LOT stronger though.

The Tin Man

Quote from: peeptoad on July 02, 2014, 09:38:10 AM
He has a respectable record... and if Bayern doesn't freak he's a multiple stakes winner. I think he has a shot, but I think the public makes SB the favorite, unless Bayern runs. Two turns is the question for TF. No reason he can't get 9F, but he does seem to have a rather sprint oriented pedigree.
Of course, SB needs to be at his best 2nd off a long layoff as well, and in his first try on dirt.
I don't really think it's disputable that Bayern running would make this field a LOT stronger though.

Entries are in ... no Bayern.   :(

The 3 best are all together ... posts 5, 6 and 7

peeptoad

Too bad Baff didn't send one. Bayern is being saved for the Haskell, and Hopper isn't ready yet, I guess.

edit: because I am an idiot.

Man o Taz

And no one posted the entries...  :D

Ms. Stra is a sentimental favorite for me since I like her a lot, but I'll be cheering for Shared Belief to take it.

Race 8 - Los Alamitos Derby (Grade II)

Purse $500,000. For Three Year Olds. Original nominations close on Thursday, May 1, 2014 by a payment of $500 each to accompany the nomination. Supplementary nominations due at time of entry by a payment of $10,000 each. All horses shall pay $2,500 to enter and an additional $5,000 to start with $500,000 guaranteed. The winner to receive $300,000, $100,000 to second, $60,000 to third, $30,000 to fourth and $10,000 to fifth. 122 Lbs. Graded or Group winners have first preference. Horses with the highest earnings in non-claiming races second preferred. Starters to be names through the entry box by the closing time of entries. A trophy will be presented to the winning owner, trainer and jockey. One And One Eighth Miles.
PP   Horse   Virtual
Stable   A/S   Med   Jockey   Wgt   Trainer
1   Eddie's First (CA)      3/C   L   E Trujillo   122   D F O'Neill
2   Tonito M. (KY)              3/C   L   V Espinoza 122   J Hollendorfer
3   Can the Man (KY)      3/C   L   M Garcia   122   B Baffert
4   Friendswith K Mill (KY)   3/C   L   T Baze   122   D F O'Neill
5   Shared Belief (KY)      3/G   L   M E Smith   122   J Hollendorfer
6   Top Fortitude (AZ)      3/C   L   K Stra   122   R K Owens
7   Candy Boy (KY)      3/C   L   J Talamo   122   J W Sadler

Owners: 1 - Reddam Racing, LLC ; 2 - M Racing Group, LLC ; 3 - Kaleem Shah, Inc. ; 4 - Haymes or Kenney or Wonderland Racing Stables ; 5 - Jungle Racing LLC, Hollendorfer, or Todaro, Et Al ; 6 - Triple AAA Ranch ; 7 - C R K Stable, LLC

Breeders: 1 - J. Paul Reddam; 2 - Hilbert Thoroughbreds, Inc. & MenardThoroughbreds, Inc.; 3 - Malibu Farm, LLC; 4 - Kathy Herbener & Heather Herbener Ford; 5 - Pam and Martin Wygod; 6 - Triple AAA Ranch; 7 - Lee Searing & Susan Searing
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions