Jockey Nicknames

Started by Man o Taz, March 14, 2016, 12:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

I thought it might be nice to compile a list of North American jockey nicknames...

Eddie Arcaro - Banana Nose
Jorge Chavez - Chop, Chop
Patient Pat Day
Channing Hill - The Nebraska Kid
Johnny Longden - The Pumper
Lester Piggott - The Long Fellow
John Pollard - Red
Randy Romero - Ragin' Cajun
Bill Shoemaker - The Shoe
George Woolf - The Iceman

These are all I could come up with, but I am certain there are others out there.

And let us try and keep it clean/nice. :)
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on March 14, 2016, 12:45:42 PM
I thought it might be nice to compile a list of North American jockey nicknames...

Eddie Arcaro - Banana Nose
Jorge Chavez - Chop, Chop
Patient Pat Day
Channing Hill - The Nebraska Kid
Johnny Longden - The Pumper
Lester Piggott - The Long Fellow
John Pollard - Red
Randy Romero - Ragin' Cajun
Bill Shoemaker - The Shoe
George Woolf - The Iceman

These are all I could come up with, but I am certain there are others out there.

And let us try and keep it clean/nice. :)
I've been known to refer to more than one as the Pin Headed Little Thief but you wanted nice and I digress.........

Pat Day-Pat Wait All Day
Patrick Valenzuela-PVal
Eddie Delahoussaye-Eddie D
John Red Pollard-The Cougar
Laffit Pincay Jr.-The Pirate
Corey Nakatani-CNak
Russell Baze-Russell the Muscle
Gallyn Mitchell-Booger
Bill Shoemaker-Silent Shoe
Fernando Toro--The Bull
Edwin Maldonado--The Candy Man

Not a jock but when Sandy Hawley was winning races in bunches there c.1975-'77 Hollywood Park--known to the locals as Hollypark--was temporarily rechristened Hawley Park.

Raven

Steve Cauthen  The Kid
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Senator L

Ted Atkinson - had two the slasher and the professor
Eddie Arcaro was also known as "the master" or "the old master" besides Banana Nose
Calvin "Bo-rail" Borel
We had one at Woodbine/Greenwood Dave Penna - Lord of the Grass

Man o Taz

These are all great. Thanks a lot.   :D
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

I also remembered that Ralph Neves was nicknamed the Portuguese Pepper Pot.

curtis

More stream of consciousness.....Jerry "Beetle" Bailey.

curtis

Garrett Gomez--"Go-Go"

Because he could be a bit of a wild card, some of us used to refer to HOF jockey Don Pierce as the "Joker" but I'm not sure how widespread that became.

Man o Taz

I forgot about "Go-Go". That's another good one. Miss him.

Man o Taz

Perry Ouzts "Scoot 'N Boot"
Gary Stevens "Weak Knees"
Edward R. "Snapper" Garrison
Marion Cornwell "Stick Man"

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on March 18, 2016, 08:49:34 AM

Kent Desormeaux  El Desarmador "the Screwdriver"

I'm not sure referring to Kent as the Screwdriver is politically correct.  Besides, I don't remember ever seeing him drinking anything colored orange.  I would nickname him the Stiff-arm as I've seen him use one far more often than most NFL players.

Man o Taz

OK - I deleted it. It is was in an article on a blog so I did not think it was derogatory, but I will pull it.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on March 18, 2016, 12:03:17 PM
OK - I deleted it. It is was in an article on a blog so I did not think it was derogatory, but I will pull it.
He's had a pretty well documented drinking problem so that's probably just as well.  I've heard him referred to as Meaux or Meaux Money.  He's probably one of the most talented jocks I've come across.  He's supposed to be quite a basketball player as well.

Man o Taz

He is certainly talented. I hope he gets things straight with Exaggerator.

I knew about his problem, but in the article it seemed like the nickname was meant more affectionately than meanly. But I could be wrong.

Print
User actions