Main Menu

Beholder

Started by curtis, August 24, 2015, 08:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtis

I've always liked this mare but until Saturday, I probably underrated her.  She's easily the best mate I've seen since Azeri and may prove to ultimately be better than some others I saw before that.  Very, very impressive.

Senator L

I misjudged her too. Didn't think she would get the distance

Raven

I was in the same camp.
But i have never seen a move like that in a GR1 race by a horse that i didn't thing that had a chance in the race.
I'm a big fan now!!
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Man o Taz

I thought she would win, but not like that. No way like that. This was a good field. Perhaps not a great field, but a solid one.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

Saturday @ Santa Anita
7th Race. (C9) Vanity Mile (Grade I)
$400,000 Guaranteed
STAKES
Purse $400,000 Guaranteed One Mile
FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLDS AND UPWARD.
1 STELLAR WIND (L) '12 F 121 Espinoza, V Hronis Racing, LLC John Sadler
2 BEHOLDER (L) '10 M 123 Stevens, G Spendthrift Farm, LLC Richard Mandella
3 DIVINA COMEDIA (FR) (L) '11 M 121 Talamo, J Marsha Naify Simon Callaghan
4 TARIS (L) '11 M 121 Prat, F Magnier, Smth or Tabor Simon Callaghan
5 LOST BUS (L) '12 F 121 Perez, F Terry C. Lovingier Gary Sherlock
6 ALL STAR BUB (L) '12 F 121 Bejarano, R Gatto Racing, LLC, Campbell or Hollendorfer Jerry Hollendorfer
7 FINEST CITY (L) '12 F 121 Baze, T Seltzer Thoroughbreds Ian Kruljac

Dusty

Ohhh I am torn - do I try to beat her or just sit back and enjoy the race?
May they run with the wind

Kennedy

This should be a good test for all involved. Beholder is certainly the class but Stellar Wind and Taris are nice fillies too. It'll be a good race for all of them. I think Beholder will win but I can see the case for those who would want to oppose on the off chance that the old champ is not the same as she was.

Interesting fact: The 89 BSF that Beholder got in her last race was the lowest BSF she has EVER earned in a dirt route race.

peeptoad

Taris is in career form right now (or just about at that peak). I'd say she's a bit better around one turn, but she's won at 8.5 at SA against G2 company and since this race was shortened by a furlong she might be able to beat Beholder, if anyone here can. I think Stellar Wind might need a race. Not sure how she normally performs off the layoff.

curtis

Beholder looked a little overweight for her comeback so I wouldn't put too much stock into the BSF. From a straight wagering standpoint, if you go against her your banking on her having lost a couple of steps. She's worked her way into my top 5 mares--at least those I've seen. She's fragile, but she's something else when Mandella has her right.

WarBiscuit

Really looking forward to this race. Must admit I have a soft spot for Lost Bus here - she's been racing well this year, but in over her
head against Beholder and Taris.  Going with Beholder for the win over Taris...

WarBiscuit 

sweettalk

taris is being pointed for a race against the boys this weekend, have they not decided which they want yet?

Flanders

Quote from: sweettalk on June 03, 2016, 03:39:29 PM
taris is being pointed for a race against the boys this weekend, have they not decided which they want yet?
They were thinking about entering her in the Triple Bend on June 25th.  I would guess if they entered her here they must have chosen the Vanity.

stark

RE: Stellar Wind...

Trainer John Sadler is on a 0-for-50 winless streak (last win 3/9/13) with runners returning from 180+ days layoff.

stark

Brad Free
‏@BradFree1
Taris will not run G1 Vanity (r7) at Santa Anita, per trainer Simon Callaghan Saturday morn.

sweettalk

Quote from: Flanders on June 03, 2016, 07:38:11 PM
They were thinking about entering her in the Triple Bend on June 25th.  I would guess if they entered her here they must have chosen the Vanity.
they could have cross entered her, which appears to be the case. sorry i asked.

Print
User actions