G3 Illinois Derby

Started by Man o Taz, April 18, 2014, 07:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

This should be a points race.

Race 9 - Illinois Derby (Grade III)

Purse $500,000. For Three-Year-Olds. By subscription of $100 each Early Bird nomination made by Friday, February 14, 2014 or $500 each, which shall accompany the nomination made by Saturday, April 5, 2014. A Supplementary nomination of $10,000 may be made on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 which includes entry and starting fees. Original nominees to pay $2,500 to pass the entry box and $2,500 additional to start. All fees to be paid to the Horsemen's Bookkeeper prior to the start of the race. The entry and starting fees for the 2014 Illinois Derby will be refunded for any horse that has previously finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any Grade/Group I, II or III race and is an official starter in the 2014 Illinois Derby. $500,000 guaranteed with 60 percent to the winning owner, 20 percent to second, 11 percent to third, 6 percent to fourth and 3 percent to fifth. Weights: Colts and Geldings, 122 Lbs.; Fillies, 117 Lbs. Starters to be named through the entry box by the usual time of closing. Early Closing, Friday, February 14, 2014 with 112 ($100 Fee). Late Closing, Saturday, April 5, 2014 with 11 ($500 Fee). 1 Supplementary - Time of Entry, Wednesday, April 16, 2014. A trophy will be presented to the winning owner. One And One Eighth Miles.
P#   PP   Horse   Virtual
Stable   A/S   Med   Jockey   Wgt   Trainer   M/L
1   1   Dynamic Impact (KY)   3/C   L   M Mena           122   M E Casse           6/1
2   2   A Step Ahead (IL)      3/C   L   C A Emigh           122   C M Block                 20/1
3   3   Midnight Hawk (KY)      3/C   L   M Garcia           122   B Baffert                   4/5
4   4   Irish You Well (KY)      3/C   L   C Hill                   122   W M Catalano         20/1
5   5   King Cyrus (KY)      3/C   L   R Napravnik   122   T A Pletcher           8/1
6   6   Emmett Park (KY)      3/G   L   L A Wydick   122   R J Pincins              20/1
7   7   Global Strike (KY)      3/C   L   T Thornton   122   T A Pletcher            15/1
8   8   Class Leader (KY)      3/C   L   J Graham           122   N J Howard           5/1

Owners: 1 - John C. Oxley; 2 - Virginia H. Tarra Trust (Virginia H. Tarra); 3 - Hill 'n' Dale Equine Holdings, Inc. (J. G. Sikura), Kitchen, Pegram, et al; 4 - Donegal Racing (Jerry Crawford); 5 - WinStar Farm, LLC (Kenny Troutt); 6 - Gore Range Stable (Richard Emmett & Rudy F. Vogt); 7 - Stonestreet Stables LLC (Barbara Banke); 8 - Lane's End Racing (W. S. Farish)

Breeders: 1 - Blue Heaven Farm, LLC; 2 - Virginia H. Tarra Trust; 3 - Michael E. Pegram; 4 - Dell Hancock & Bernie Sams; 5 - Robert Muir, Des Scott & Sam Klein; 6 - Universal Thoroughbred Services, LLC.; 7 - Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC; 8 - W. S. Farish

Equipment Changes: 5 - King Cyrus - Blinkers On

I'll be cheering for King Cyrus and favorite Midnight Hawk because I would like to see them both in the Preakness and Global Strike because I saw him win at Gulfstream Park and he looked like a nice horse.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dusty

IT SHOULD BE a points race = and what is the reason it is not????????
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

Quote from: Dusty on April 18, 2014, 08:51:21 AM
IT SHOULD BE a points race = and what is the reason it is not????????

Politics...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84430/midnight-hawk-brings-illinois-derby-intrigue

QuoteThe Illinois Derby, mostly due to politics over racing dates between Churchill Downs and Hawthorne, was not included when the new system was put into place by Churchill last year, nor does it award points this season. For that reason and because of the timing of the race, run two weeks before the Kentucky Derby, it is considered more of a logical prep for the May 17 Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84430/midnight-hawk-brings-illinois-derby-intrigue#ixzz2zGPuYrMp

Man o Taz

Well, Midnight Hawk did not distinguish himself losing another lead in deep stretch in a 9 furlong race.

His owner at the Illinois Derby did not sound to hopeful about him going to Churchill which I think is a good thing.

He is not ready now if he ever will be to get 10 furlongs.

So, that will create another entry for Harry's Holiday...

I am hoping for Commanding Curve to make it which means one other horse would need to opt not to contest the Kentucky Derby...which I think is unlikely, but I never expected Cairo Prince and the many other horses to go out that have so far...
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions