Sex Restriction: Open
Distance: One And One Half Miles On The Dirt
Chart Replay
Program #   Horse   Jockey   Win   Place   Show
Creator   Irad Ortiz, Jr.   $34.80   $14.60   $9.40
Destin   Javier Castellano      $9.40   $6.20
Lani   Yutaka Take         $6.60
Winning Time: 2:28.51

Also Ran: 1 - Governor Malibu,  5 - Stradivari,  12 - Brody's Cause,  3 - Cherry Wine,  6 - Gettysburg,  4 - Suddenbreakingnews,  9 - Trojan Nation,  11 - Exaggerator,  7 - Seeking the Soul,  8 - Forever d'Oro

Exaggerator really faded.....
May they run with the wind

Flanders

I thought he was being pulled up the way he slowed in the stretch.  He practically walked across the finish line.

BaroqueAgain1

From what the TVG guys said while showing a replay of the race, once Kent knew that Exaggerator was done, he wrapped up on his horse. Maybe, if he had kept after the colt with strenuous urging, they'd have finished 7th or 9th instead of 11th...but IMHO, there was no good reason to be that hard on him.
Kent has always been good about taking care of his mounts, and I admire him for that.

Dusty

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 11, 2016, 07:20:13 PM
From what the TVG guys said while showing a replay of the race, once Kent knew that Exaggerator was done, he wrapped up on his horse. Maybe, if he had kept after the colt with strenuous urging, they'd have finished 7th or 9th instead of 11th...but IMHO, there was no good reason to be that hard on him.
Kent has always been good about taking care of his mounts, and I admire him for that.

As do I - thanks
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

Governor Malibu is a horse to watch coming out of this race imo. He's improving leaps and bounds and he would have been a lot closer to the top two had Gettysburg not shut him off mid stretch. He was making a move on the rail and the rabbit drifted right over on him causing Rosario to check and alter course. Hopefully we see him up at the Spa; I think he could make some noise in the coming months.

Flanders

Creator and Gettysburg will be getting a break at WinStar.  WinStar tried to move Gettysburg back to Todd Pletcher but he refused to take him back.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212422/asmussen-basks-in-belmont-afterglow

And now the big thing in the comment section on Bloodhorse is that WinStar essentially cheated because they used Gettysburg as a rabbit.

BaroqueAgain1

Whether you use the term 'pacemaker' or 'rabbit,' it has often been common to use one horse to set an honest pace in a race, to perhaps benefit a stablemate. It's hardly "cheating."

sweettalk

sometimes it's annoying but it's def not cheating - if the other riders know the horse is the rabbit (and let's face it, they do), what are the odds they send their horse with him and burn their mount up? i'm sure it happens, but a good rider knows what they're doing and knows the field.

CA_Chrome

Actually rabbits seem to be less common now than in the past. A famous example occurred when Frank Whitely used champion sprinter Hedevar as a rabbit in the 1967 Woodward in which the three greats, Damascus, Dr. Fager and Buckpasser were entered. The sole reason Hedevar was entered was to keep Dr. Fager "honest." Damascus won that race by 10 lengths after Hedevar and Dr. Fager battled through 6F in 1:09 1/5. Buckpasser was 2nd and the Doctor was 3rd.

BaroqueAgain1

I wonder if it's possible for Tapit's fee to go even higher.
He sired the winner Creator and third-place Lani in the Belmont. Before that, Tapit sons Frosted and Anchor Down went 1-2 in the Met Mile.
I can't wait to see the new ads from Gainesway.

Flanders

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 12, 2016, 03:55:38 PM
I wonder if it's possible for Tapit's fee to go even higher.
He sired the winner Creator and third-place Lani in the Belmont. Before that, Tapit sons Frosted and Anchor Down went 1-2 in the Met Mile.
I can't wait to see the new ads from Gainesway.
Sure.  His foals race and sell extremely well.  Winchell uses quite a few of the breedings for their own broodmares.  They lowered his book of mares this year and I think have no intentions of increasing it.  If he jumped up to $500,000 next year, it would be warranted and breeders would pay it.  We aren't halfway done with the year and he has over $10 million in progeny earnings for 2016.

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 11, 2016, 07:20:13 PM
Yeah, I've seen him finish third when he could have been second, fourth when he could have been third many times. Expect it?  Sure, admire it?  Not so much.

Man o Taz

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 12, 2016, 10:44:49 AM
Whether you use the term 'pacemaker' or 'rabbit,' it has often been common to use one horse to set an honest pace in a race, to perhaps benefit a stablemate. It's hardly "cheating."

Exactly.

I never liked it when Hedavar was used against Dr. Fager, but there was nothing unfair about entering a horse, and more than one so-called "rabbit" has ended up running away with a race.  :D
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions