Belmont Stakes

Started by Man o Taz, May 13, 2016, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

And now it seems that there may be rain again in the Belmont Stakes.

How many times have all three Triple Crown races in a single year been contested on wet tracks?
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

Quote from: stark on June 05, 2016, 09:00:08 PM
Good read from LA Times, Phil D'Amato---Wild About Deb

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-horse-racing-phil-damato-20160605-snap-story.html

Well he has the karma part down. I hope his horse runs well

peeptoad

As of today here are the expected entrants:

Brody's Cause             
Cherry Wine             
Creator                         
Destin                         
Exaggerator               
Forever d'Oro           
Gettysburg                   
Governor Malibu         
Lani                             
Seeking the Soul             
Stradivari                     
Suddenbreakingnews   
Trojan Nation       

If Gettysburg runs that'll likely ensure an honest pace.

peeptoad

http://www.drf.com/news/dozen-set-face-exaggerator

Well, Wild About Deb is out. And Gettysburg will be entered to provide pace for both Creator and Exaggerator.

Man o Taz

A nice size field.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

sweettalk

Quote from: Man o Taz on June 06, 2016, 05:32:24 AM
And now it seems that there may be rain again in the Belmont Stakes.

How many times have all three Triple Crown races in a single year been contested on wet tracks?
the derby wasn't wet this year tho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZstnjDJjP0g

Man o Taz

Yes it was.

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/news/brisk,-damp-morning-greets-kentucky-derby-hopefuls

Temperatures were in the upper 40s with a light, steady rain falling when the track opened at 5:45 (all times Eastern) with the track condition labeled as "wet-fast" by Churchill Downs clockers. The rain stopped at 6:30 but by the time the track reopened at 8:30 after the renovation break, conditions were downgraded to "good" as a light drizzle began to fall along with a biting breeze.

It was pouring in Louisville just a few minutes ago, meaning the 142nd Kentucky Derby could be a sloppy one. A wet track will have a big affect on the race, as many 3-year-old horses haven't run in the rain and that could affect the odds.

Thunderstorms are expected to continue sporadically throughout the evening and up until the Kentucky Derby begins at 6:34 p.m. ET, but Derby hopefuls may catch a break since the storms may go just northeast of Louisville and don't muddy up the track too much. There are always a handful of horses better-equipped to handle the rain — Exaggerator, Outwork and Suddenbreakingnews have all fared well on wet tracks in their young careers.

BaroqueAgain1

From DRF:
Clocker: Exaggerator's behavior raises concern
All eyes were on Exaggerator Tuesday morning at Belmont Park, with the Preakness winner turning in his final major prep for Saturday's Belmont Stakes. He worked five furlongs in 1:00.92 over a very fast main track after the renovation break.
http://www.drf.com/news/preview/clocker-mixed-reactions-exaggerators-work
Since the rest of the article is behind the paywall, I don't know what sort of "behavior" is concerning the clocker. Anyone know?

peeptoad

I didn't see in the article that there was any sort of concern,  just mixed reactions to the work. Apparently he bore out 5 or 6 paths on the turn and then was under urging to finish, with his ears pinned and tail out straight. The clocker indicated he looked much different (read: better) in his final derby work.

peeptoad

sweettalk

i have no idea why i don't remember that at all. just remember sun and no reflecting/standing water on the dirt (as seen in the video). even equibase has it labeled as "fast", same for the humana distaff earlier that day. sorry. *shrug*

peeptoad

Quote from: sweettalk on June 07, 2016, 06:52:03 PM
i have no idea why i don't remember that at all. just remember sun and no reflecting/standing water on the dirt (as seen in the video). even equibase has it labeled as "fast", same for the humana distaff earlier that day. sorry. *shrug*

FWIW I recall reading a post-Derby article somewhere (I think DRF) where the writer stated the track was labeled fast, but there was standing water in spots and it probably was on the "good" side of fast, rather than outright fast. (that's paraphrasing because I can't find the article anywhere of course now).

peeptoad

Yet another piece about Exaggerator's last work, this one with a bit different tone than the other DRF piece:
http://www.drf.com/news/exaggerator-works-well-gallops-out-wow

stark

Quote from: peeptoad on June 07, 2016, 12:41:56 PM
I didn't see in the article that there was any sort of concern,  just mixed reactions to the work. Apparently he bore out 5 or 6 paths on the turn and then was under urging to finish, with his ears pinned and tail out straight. The clocker indicated he looked much different (read: better) in his final derby work.

While some are reporting he "bore out 5 or 6 paths" Bruno of Works fame tells that KentD intentionally moved the horse to a better path on the track and will do so in the Belmont again.

Racingwithbruno ‏@Racingwithbruno  16h16 hours ago
Kent went looking for good ground, found it, others report he bore out, Kent will be 1st 2 tell you,moved the colt himself for that lane

This morning, Kent D did same on Exaggerator moving out several lanes to find lane he could have the colt level off, switch leads properly

He also shared with us that on the dirt specifically that he would find a tire track or a path especially on wet main.

Man o Taz

Brothers Keith and Kent Desormeaux, trainer and rider, respectively, of GI Belmont S. favorite Exaggerator (Curlin), were in a jovial mood Tuesday morning after the GI Preakness S. winner and GI Kentucky Derby runner-up turned in his final breeze for Saturday=s ATest of the Champion. With Hall of Famer Kent in the irons, the dark bay was clocked in 1:00 4/5 for five panels.

The best I can say is, in comparison [to his work before the Derby and Preakness], it was the same. All systems go,Kent offered at a press briefing trackside.

Kent continued to describe the work, and older brother Keith took to asking the questions.
Kent: Good energy.
Keith: He wasn't stronger?
Kent: Lots of fluidity.
Keith:I'd prefer him to be stronger. Was he stronger?
Kent: No, he was the same.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pdf/tdn/tdn160608.pdf

Print
User actions