Suddenbreakingnews - picks up Mike Smith. It helps having
a jock that has ridden there before. Looks like the only one
with low odds will be Exaggerator

stark

Quote from: Senator L on May 29, 2016, 07:06:43 AM
Suddenbreakingnews - picks up Mike Smith. It helps having
a jock that has ridden there before. Looks like the only one
with low odds will be Exaggerator

Well, there's that jockey upgrade PLUS a new definition for the ultimate equipment change.....they found 'em!

Sold for $72,000 and listed since then as a gelding, the Kentucky Derby's fifth-place finisher was recently found to have two undescended testicles, making him a ridgling potentially able to breed — though not likely — after his racing career ends. That won't change trainer Donnie Von Hemel's immediate plans, however, to work the son of Mineshaft on Sunday or Monday toward the June 11 Belmont.

"He looks like a gelding. He acted like a gelding. I had no reason to think otherwise, and that's the way it was," Von Hemel said. "I think there were a few other times I said, 'Boy, you might wish you hadn't of gelded this horse.'"

Owner Samuel Henderson ordered that after purchasing Suddenbreakingnews. But as the horse emerged as a prospect for the Triple Crown series, representatives of the farms where he was raised and learned to race corresponded and discovered the operation never happened.

Von Hemel said a recent ultrasound showed the testicles to be small, and in Suddenbreakingnews' abdomen, resting at a temperature too high to reproduce. And so his career will continue on as planned, with retirement not in sight.

stark

After a 4 hour van ride EXAGGERATOR arrives @ Belmont this morning looking good!

afleetphil

He does look good. Wonder where he goes after the Belmont.

stark

peeptoad

Exaggerator looks excellent in that photo. Seems he had a pretty good gallop yesterday at BEL.
Wild About Deb is now also likely for the Belmont:

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/29287

the definite > probable field:

Brody's Cause
Cherry Wine
Creator
Destin
Exaggerator
Governor Malibu
Lani
Stradivari
Suddenbreakingnews
Wild About Deb

DRF also reports that Gun Runner's next start will be the G3 Matt Winn at CD.

Man o Taz

Quote from: afleetphil on May 29, 2016, 11:32:05 AM
He does look good. Wonder where he goes after the Belmont.

I bet he heads for the Jim Dandy and Travers after a break. This is the route they wanted for Texas Red last year that just did not work out.

Now, whether he ships home to SoCal is another story. I should think he will get time off. And Swipe is at Belmont, too. So they may ship their horses to Saratoga post-Belmont and ship Swipe down for the Dwyer. I do not know if Texas Red went home to Cal after Dwyer or up to Saratoga, but I think since the plan is for Saratoga with Exaggerator they will get him there too.

I do wonder what is up with Texas Red. He had been working well in March and April and then 4/11 was his last work so I hope they did not have a set back. I do not know if he is in NY.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

afleetphil

That would be perfect. Already got my Jim Dandy day tickets July 30th. Saw Texas Red last summer win the Jim Dandy.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 31, 2016, 09:44:50 AM
I bet he heads for the Jim Dandy and Travers after a break. This is the route they wanted for Texas Red last year that just did not work out.

Now, whether he ships home to SoCal is another story. I should think he will get time off. And Swipe is at Belmont, too. So they may ship their horses to Saratoga post-Belmont and ship Swipe down for the Dwyer. I do not know if Texas Red went home to Cal after Dwyer or up to Saratoga, but I think since the plan is for Saratoga with Exaggerator they will get him there too.

I do wonder what is up with Texas Red. He had been working well in March and April and then 4/11 was his last work so I hope they did not have a set back. I do not know if he is in NY.
Texas Red is out until next year. I heard Keith Desormeaux mention it in an interview after the Preakness. He was asked about Texas Red--who he volunteered was a better horse than Exaggerator--and spoke about the latest setback.

peeptoad

Lani is apparently looking good so far at BEL and made a pretty good appearance this morning, galloping almost 2 miles before commencing a 5f work. Stamina will be no issue. Maybe he can get it done this time around...

curtis

Quote from: peeptoad on June 01, 2016, 05:42:43 AM
Lani is apparently looking good so far at BEL and made a pretty good appearance this morning, galloping almost 2 miles before commencing a 5f work. Stamina will be no issue. Maybe he can get it done this time around...
Lani probably thought it was a race, given how he usually gallops most of the way before running a little bit and then passing whatever tired horses don't get in his way. His type usually aren't playable in the Belmont, for me,because they get overbet. The idea being he can get the distance when others can't.  He could get lucky, I guess, but I think he needs a pace meltdown that most likely won't materialize. But hey if you like him....

peeptoad

I don't actually like him myself, but hey, who knows. Maybe he can get it done this time. Likely won't be on my tickets tho.

Dusty

Lani does seem to be moving up = maybe hits in the top three???
May they run with the wind

stark

Governor Malibu goes five furlongs in 1:00.29 from the half-mile pole with Joel Rosario aboard in his final work.

Maintenance type half-mile works with strong gallop outs on training track in separate sets for both Destin and Stradivari this a.m.

Rain starting to pick up at Belmont Park. Exaggerator, Cherry Wine, Brody's Cause expected to gallop on main track after the break.

stark

Print
User actions