HORSE RELATED TRIVIA

Started by Raven, October 30, 2013, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtis

Looks like it's time for a clue or two.  The horse was imported by a famous race announcer.  The horse became very popular and attendance increased every time he was entered.  He went on to sire a Kentucky Derby winner.

curtis

Some more clues.  The jockey who inspired the HOF horse's name was famous for riding a particular horse who had to make three attempts to garner one of his signature victories.  The HOF horse, who inspired this trivia question,  also had to make three attempts to win the same race.  This same horse had a very high, climbing action as did his KY Derby winning son.  His owner once infamously switched his jockey before an important race without the knowledge of the horse's HOF trainer which resulted in one of the most memorable moments in the history of Hollywood Park.

Catalina

Well, this one is a toughie.  Just as soon as I come across a horse that matches two criteria, it doesn't match the remainder. 

curtis

The horse in question is the first foreign bred to earn a million dollars.  He had many quirks but a generally docile personality.  One of his quirks was he would not allow the use of a lead pony.  He would try to bite it.

Flanders

Cougar II

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Flanders on December 07, 2013, 12:24:35 AM
Cougar II

You're on it!  Says so in the following article ...

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/racinghub/archive/2013/09/23/marlboro-cup-of-champions.aspx

>Adept at racing on turf and dirt, Cougar II had won that year's Santa Anita Handicap. In May of 1973 he became only the 11th equine millionaire in racing history, and the first foreign bred horse to earn $1 million, upon winning the Century Handicap at Hollywood Park. He had been in-the-money in 28 of his prior 29 starts, all stakes.<

The jockey part was misleading ... to me.   ???

A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Raven

Cougar was a nickname! So it was misleading!
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Raven on December 07, 2013, 07:28:21 AM

Cougars are common in South America .... including Chile.  I don't think the horse was named for a Canadian jockey who was at one time nicknamed
"Cougar" but more famous as "Red" Pollard.  Of course, I could be wrong!  ;D

A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Flanders

Quote from: Raven on December 07, 2013, 07:28:21 AM
It took a lot of research to come up with Cougar II, but it was fun finding it.  :)

curtis

Quote from: Blue Jeans on December 07, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
Cougars are common in South America .... including Chile.  I don't think the horse was named for a Canadian jockey who was at one time nicknamed
"Cougar" but more famous as "Red" Pollard.  Of course, I could be wrong!  ;D

Cougar II was named, raced in Chile and subsequently imported by the original Santa Anita announcer Joe Hernandez.  Hernandez was a good friend of Red Pollard and wanted to name a horse after Pollard who could run and so he did.  There may be three cougars for every person in Chile but Hernandez named the horse for Pollard's boxing nickname.  There was a recent book written about Joe Hernandez that speaks of this.  The Seabiscuit book makes reference to Pollard's nickname as a boxer.  The answer was not obvious which is what makes it trivia.  I have considered writing a book about Cougar II lest he always be thought of as the impetus of a crass contest held annually at Del Mar.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: curtis on December 07, 2013, 04:09:27 PM
Cougar II was named, raced in Chile and subsequently imported by the original Santa Anita announcer Joe Hernandez.  Hernandez was a good friend of Red Pollard and wanted to name a horse after Pollard who could run and so he did.  There may be three cougars for every person in Chile but Hernandez named the horse for Pollard's boxing nickname.  There was a recent book written about Joe Hernandez that speaks of this.  The Seabiscuit book makes reference to Pollard's nickname as a boxer.  The answer was not obvious which is what makes it trivia.  I have considered writing a book about Cougar II lest he always be thought of as the impetus of a crass contest held annually at Del Mar.

Your trivia question certainly contained obscure facts, which is good ... now we all know more about Cougar than some of us did a couple of days ago. 

I had kept the article (link posted earlier) ... and rooted for Cougar to win the '73 Marlboro Cup every time I read it.  What a horse!  Hope you do write a book about him, 'cause he's most interesting.   :)

Catalina

Famous European jockey of yesteryear, who was often referred to by a nickname derived from a physical attribute.  His biography (published in 1986) , that could probably be considered especially insightful, was written by a well known author more at home in a different genre.  Name the jockey, and the "nickname" by which he was often referred to.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Catalina on December 10, 2013, 08:18:58 AM
Famous European jockey of yesteryear, who was often referred to by a nickname derived from a physical attribute.  His biography (published in 1986) , that could probably be considered especially insightful, was written by a well known author more at home in a different genre.  Name the jockey, and the "nickname" by which he was often referred to.

Lester Keith Piggott .... "The Long Fellow"

Lester: The Official Biography, Dick Francis, Michael Joseph, London, 1986

>Famously tall for a jockey (5 ft 8 in/1.73 m), hence his nickname of "The Long Fellow", Lester Piggott struggled to keep his weight down and for most of his career rode at little more than 8 stone (112 lb/51 kg). He pioneered a new style of race-riding that was subsequently widely adopted by colleagues at home and abroad and enabled him to become Champion Jockey eleven times.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Piggott

Catalina

Quote from: Blue Jeans on December 10, 2013, 11:46:22 AM
Lester Keith Piggott .... "The Long Fellow"

Lester: The Official Biography, Dick Francis, Michael Joseph, London, 1986

>Famously tall for a jockey (5 ft 8 in/1.73 m), hence his nickname of "The Long Fellow", Lester Piggott struggled to keep his weight down and for most of his career rode at little more than 8 stone (112 lb/51 kg). He pioneered a new style of race-riding that was subsequently widely adopted by colleagues at home and abroad and enabled him to become Champion Jockey eleven times.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Piggott

That was fast!  Yes, Lester Piggott, the "The Long Fellow".  Well done, BJ!

curtis

Name the horse, race and year in which the fastest 10f on dirt was achieved by an American three-year-old. 

Print
User actions