Hoppertunity scratched from Derby

Started by peeptoad, May 01, 2014, 07:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

http://www.drf.com/news/hoppertunity-scratched-kentucky-derby-pablo-del-monte-can-run

...no sooner than I post him as my top pick. I'm really bummed... thought he had an excellent chance. :(

Man o Taz

Too, too bad.

Apollo is winking up in heaven - saying see.

So perhaps Baffert will have two or three for the Preakness.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

Too bad, he was one with a chance

peeptoad

Hoppertunity   is entered to run on October 29, 2014 at SANTA ANITA PARK.

Your comments for this horse were:

Purchase the Official Equibase® Race Program

Race: 7 Distance:Seven Furlongs Surface:Dirt Age:3  – Colt
Race Type:Allowance Optional Claiming Purse: $ 60,000
Jockey:Mike E. Smith
Trainer: Bob Baffert
Race conditions: FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $10,000 TWICE OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING, STARTER, OR STATE BRED OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON THREE RACES OR OPTIONAL CLAIMING PRICE OF $62,500. Three Year Olds, 122 lbs.; Older, 124 lbs. Non-winners Of TwoRaces Other Than Maiden, Claiming Or Starter Allowed 2 lbs. A Race Since August 11 Allowed 4 lbs. Claiming Price $62,500 (Maiden And Claiming Races For $50,000 Or Less Not Considered In Allowances).
Last Raced: 04/05/2014 at SANTA ANITA PARK in Race 8
Finish Position: 2nd
Last Reported Workouts:
10/21/2014--Six Furlongs-Dirt Fast-1.13:20 Handily
10/15/2014--Six Furlongs-Dirt Fast-1.12:00 Handily

Senator L

:celebrate:

Man o Taz

Fantastic.

Now we just need Cairo Prince and Honor Code back and maybe...maybe they can target the Hal's Hope (for the Donn Handicap which I hope to be at this year).  ;D

I have never had the privilege of seeing Hoppertunity yet - so I am very excited about his return.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Hopper was a fine 2nd in his comeback race... the 3rd betting choice (Pimpernel) won, and that horse was the pick of some of the pundits due to the recency edge and his relative class level. Hopper closed from off the pace; I would hope he improves off this one. I did notice he wore front wraps, which I'm not sure is the norm for most Baffert runners. Maybe see him in the Malibu next?

serenassong

Not sure if it is the norm for Baffert - but perhaps they were trying to give some protection in the first run back?  Think that he did nicely.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Man o Taz

Quote from: Man o Taz on October 27, 2014, 09:11:00 AM
Fantastic.

Now we just need Cairo Prince and Honor Code back and maybe...maybe they can target the Hal's Hope (for the Donn Handicap which I hope to be at this year).  ;D

I have never had the privilege of seeing Hoppertunity yet - so I am very excited about his return.

Great news about Hop.

Cairo Prince was retired.  :(

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88339/cairo-prince-retired-to-airdrie-stud-in-2015

peeptoad

Hoppertunity is nominated to (and according to Baffert, being pointed to) the Clark Handicap. I thought he might go to the Malibu. Seems the Clark will come up relatively weak, and he might be better around 2 turns, so...

Man o Taz

Great for him.

Really interesting that Bayern and Shared Belief are pointing to the Malibu rather than the Clark.

Seems bizarre to me.

peeptoad

Hoppertunity
Your Comment:

Date: November 23, 2014
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:00 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

Man o Taz

Sounds like he's turning in sharp works for this Friday...

Print
User actions