NYT Story On HP

Started by Vic in Chicago, December 15, 2013, 05:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 21, 2013, 08:26:01 AM
I wish so too. It is truly a gem. Best track, best paddock, best winner's circle, traditionally safest track(most important), most beautiful gardening and infield and backside in SoCal IMO.

Background scenery goes to Santa Anita. Love Clocker's Corner too!

Del Mar ... Meh ... I've nothing good to say about it ...

What?  NOTHING good to say about Del Mar?

I'll say three good things about it!

First, its racing in 70 degree temps with the sun shining.

Second, ten to twenty five thousand people routinely attend the races there, especially on weekends, unlike the three-four thousand people crowds that usually attend at HP and SA.

Third, the people that go to the races at Del Mar are primarily young, and are obviously having a great time.  Unlike the primarily old, sad, down on their luck crowds we see at HP (especially) and at SA.

Come on, Tin Man.  NOTHING good to say about Del Mar?

Blue Jeans

Taz, thanks for posting the wonderful visit you and your wife had recently at HP.   Felt like I was there! 

Wish 60 Minutes/ CBS Sunday Morning Show would feature the closing of HP this weekend.  Of course, I wished that last weekend, but I'll stay tuned just in case.   :(
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Dusty

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 21, 2013, 08:26:01 AM
I wish so too. It is truly a gem. Best track, best paddock, best winner's circle, traditionally safest track(most important), most beautiful gardening and infield and backside in SoCal IMO.

Background scenery goes to Santa Anita. Love Clocker's Corner too!

Del Mar ... Meh ... I've nothing good to say about it ...
I so agree with Tin Man - I do not "do" DelMar - not comfy - not friendly and too dang small - once it is no longer a boutique meet we shall see how the attendance goes
May they run with the wind

Blue Jeans

Switched channels just in the nick of time last time (from NBC to CBS) for the last half of the evening news, and the closing of HP was featured!  Cheers to CBS!

Who knows?  All the main news shows might mention the closing sometime today.
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Man o Taz

Glad you all enjoyed.

It was a very special visit.

The people were so friendly everywhere. I will treasure the acquaintances.

The horses are among the best in the country.

And the facility despite its age was wonderful to witness.

I do wish we could have stayed longer or that we had made the trip sooner. 

I do not know if HRTV was doing anything on the track, but TVG had its 90 minute special narrated my Mr. Stauffer and then showed clips throughout the last weekend.

The horse racing community in the United States, nay even the world, will be less for its loss. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions