Nasal Strips - What's the big deal?

Started by Man o Taz, May 19, 2014, 06:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

It seems like the NYRA is taking a much more relaxed approach to the nasal strip issue than they did with I'll Have Another two years ago.

I think the NYRA is between a rock and a hard place given that they want to put their product - Belmont Park - up for sale in 2015.

For them to do that - giving away the attendance figures that would come with a Triple Crown being on the line vs. a Triple Crown not being on the line could severely damage their product's attractiveness.

Attendance would likely be at least 30,000 more for a TC possibility vs. a non-TC possibility.

The handle would likely be a lot bigger too.

It seems some have tried to suggest that nasal strips are like performance enhancing drugs. I think such a comparison is misplaced.

This is from one site...
http://voices.yahoo.com/do-breathe-right-nasal-strips-improve-athletic-performance-7442974.html

Do Breathe Right Nasal Strips Improve Athletic Performance?

Some small studies show that wearing Breathe Right nasal strips reduced the amount of recovery time sprinters needed after a sprint, while another study in cyclists showed they increased oxygen consumption during the recovery period after cycling - but these studies have been criticized for being poorly designed. Other studies have shown no benefits of Breathe Right nasal strips for most athletes in terms of greater oxygen consumption or a quicker recovery.

On the positive side, one study showed that wearing Breathe Right nasal strips reduces brain temperature when athletes work out in hot environments, thus giving them some advantage - but this still needs further testing. They may also be helpful for athletes who have chronic allergies or asthma and are forced to exercise outdoors in hot temperatures where they're prone to overheating. Breathe Right nasal strips might also slightly improve athletic performance due to the psychological benefits of believing they work, a sort of placebo effect.

Does Breathe Right Work for Athletes: The Bottom Line?

There's not a lot of good evidence that Breathe Right nasal strips improve athletic performance, but they may give athletes a psychological boost. They may also be helpful to athletes who have chronic allergies or asthma or even athletes who are trying to compete with a cold. The good news? They're harmless, and if it makes an athlete feel good to wear them - so much the better.

References:

Physiology of Exercise: Theory and Application to Fitness and Performance. Powers and Howley. 2009. page 226.

Allbusiness.com. "Manufacturer of Breathe Right Nasal Strips Cautions Athletic Performance Researchers"

Here is another article...
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/nasal-strips-do-breathing-techniques-improve-performance-111

It seems that the strips offer a psychological boost - and for a horse - this means no advantage at all...since its unlikely the horse is going to feel less confident without them - except to the extent that the horse would feel uncomfortable if he had another piece of equipment used that the regularly won with...

On the equine end - while Breathe Right has cautioned against buying into the improved performance for athletes by the use of nasal strips...Flair which sells equine nasal strips suggests that there is a benefit to performance...

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/11310/humans-and-horses-sport-nasal-strips-in-sydney
http://www.horsetackreview.com/article-display/472.html
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/for-these-olympic-athletes-breathing-easy-isnt-horseplay-72995397.html

And here is an article on the NYRA ban on I'll Have Another using equine nasal strips.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/Jun/04/new-york-racing-thumbs-nose-ill-have-another/

I would hope before a ban was issued that the NYRA vigorously studied the issue...and if so - then their report, findings and ban on nasal strips should stand in the absence of contradictory evidence. An agency should not issue bans on any substance or material without evidence to support its action. Otherwise, it diminishes its credibility.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

California Chrome has now won six straight races, all with jockey Victor Espinoza and all while using a Flair nasal strip, whose use was denied for I'll Have Another two years ago by Belmont Park stewards when he was scheduled to bid for the Triple Crown before being scratched with a career-ending injury. It is not a state board rule or even a Belmont Park house rule. It's solely up to the stewards' discretion.

Sherman said he hoped California Chrome would be able to use the nasal strip.

"That's a bogus type of thing," he said when informed about the policy in New York. "All over the country, they let you run with it. Why wouldn't they in New York?"

Sherman said Perry Martin, who co-owns California Chrome with Steve Coburn, first suggested using the nasal strip. He said Martin might go so far as to withdraw the colt from the Belmont if the policy was still in place.

http://www.drf.com/news/california-chrome-tired-healthy-after-preakness
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

His BSF also went up to a 105 for the Preakness from a 97 from the Derby.

It seemed Social Inclusion would be short and he was which surprises me why they felt he might do well in the Belmont Stakes.

I added General a Rod to my exacta and trifecta and SI blew it up...oh well.

Delamont

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 19, 2014, 06:04:57 AM
California Chrome has now won six straight races, all with jockey Victor Espinoza and all while using a Flair nasal strip, whose use was denied for I'll Have Another two years ago by Belmont Park stewards when he was scheduled to bid for the Triple Crown before being scratched with a career-ending injury. It is not a state board rule or even a Belmont Park house rule. It's solely up to the stewards' discretion.

Sherman said he hoped California Chrome would be able to use the nasal strip.

"That's a bogus type of thing," he said when informed about the policy in New York. "All over the country, they let you run with it. Why wouldn't they in New York?"

Sherman said Perry Martin, who co-owns California Chrome with Steve Coburn, first suggested using the nasal strip. He said Martin might go so far as to withdraw the colt from the Belmont if the policy was still in place.

http://www.drf.com/news/california-chrome-tired-healthy-after-preakness

If you lived in NY, you wouldn't have to ask.   :evil:
Somebody bet on the gray!

Man o Taz

Now that is both funny (or perhaps sad) and true.

Kind of how the new administration is being "fan friendly" with all their efforts to raise prices for admission and build more edifices and policies that limit fan accessibility more and more.

The Tin Man

New York should get rid of wraps and blinkers while they're at it ...

Totally bogus BS ... Why allow those things if you don't allow nasal strips?

How about some consistency? Why pick and choose?

Guess it will make it all the sweeter when Junior wins The Triple Crown. Even taking away his preferred equipment while allowing others to run with theirs isn't going to stop him.

But it's still BS.

Delamont

Quote from: The Tin Man on May 19, 2014, 08:45:21 AM
New York should get rid of wraps and blinkers while they're at it ...

Totally bogus BS ... Why allow those things if you don't allow nasal strips?

How about some consistency? Why pick and choose?

Guess it will make it all the sweeter when Junior wins The Triple Crown. Even taking away his preferred equipment while allowing others to run with theirs isn't going to stop him.

But it's still BS.

And that's NY spelled backward. 

serenassong

Once upon a time, you couldn't run a horse on Lasix in NY- and that got changed.  It's bad enough that the Belmont is the red headed stepchild of the TC races-

Derby- hoping to see who will have a chance at the TC
Preakness- seeing if Derby winner has a shot at TC
Belmont- nation at large only cares if TC is on the line.

Only time of the year that Belmont Park can expect to pack those ginormous stands to the rafters- which is sad, because it can be quite a lovely place.

On the bandwagon  :celebrate:
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Man o Taz

Well, the NYRA woke up and decided to put this controversy to rest ASAP.

In doing so, they avoided losing a potential Triple Crown bid and sold out seating on the eve of their wanting to sell the property.

It was a smart move for them.

However, it also highlighted how arbitrary their prohibition against I'll Have Another was.

Man o Taz

Are they really serious at Sports Illustrated?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140519/california-chrome-nasal-strips-scandal/

I see no damage that has been done to horse racing by the nasal strip issue with regard to the general public.

Most people probably were unaware of it, and the public with its short attention span will quickly forget.

It was the NYRA making much ado about nothing.

And now SI is trying to make much ado about the much ado about nothing. (Roll eyes)

The Tin Man

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 23, 2014, 06:41:47 AM
Are they really serious at Sports Illustrated?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140519/california-chrome-nasal-strips-scandal/

I see no damage that has been done to horse racing by the nasal strip issue with regard to the general public.

Most people probably were unaware of it, and the public with its short attention span will quickly forget.

It was the NYRA making much ado about nothing.

And now SI is trying to make much ado about the much ado about nothing. (Roll eyes)

I eagerly await their expose about the horses wearing leg bandages, tongue ties and blinkers ...

Delamont

O noz...not teh BLINKERZ!

Man o Taz

On that humorous note...I'll wish you all a happy Memorial Day weekend.

Man o Taz

I guess this is the only controversy that they can find...

California Chrome Controversy on Nasal Strips
http://www.newsday.com/sports/horseracing/california-chrome-controversy-highlights-that-opinions-differ-on-nasal-strips-1.8297975

Delamont

:rhrse:

Print
User actions