Hope it's a mistake

Started by Diver52, July 04, 2016, 01:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diver52

Equibase reported a work yesterday at Los All for an UNRACED 9 yo named Freight Runner. :-\

Catalina

Probably not an error.  He also shows a 6/25 and a 5/29 workout.  And I don't like that any better than you do.

Diver52

Well, there's the old joke ending "We couldn't catch him until he was eight," but you've got to wonder what they're thinking.

BaroqueAgain1

Nine-year-old Little Mike is being brought back after a two year layoff, so I have a hard time figuring out what anyone is thinking.  ::)
You'd think a horse like LM would have earned a happy, safe retirement.

Catalina

Or who's the trainer.

Catalina

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 04, 2016, 02:41:30 PM
Nine-year-old Little Mike is being brought back after a two year layoff, so I have a hard time figuring out what anyone is thinking.  ::)
You'd think a horse like LM would have earned a happy, safe retirement.

Clearly some people don't think that three and a half millions in earnings are enough to assure a 9YO gelding of a safe retirement. 

BaroqueAgain1

Well, this explains their thinking and it sounds like he's been rehabbing like the millionaire that he is.

"Since May of 2014, the horse went to WinStar Farm, then to Dr. Bramlage at Rood & Riddle, then to Ocala Stud," said Vaccarezza. "He's been in the best places you can think of, the equine version of the Mayo Clinic or the Cleveland Clinic. He's been pampered. We put him in a hyperbaric chamber and an equine saltwater spa. At Ocala Stud with Mike O'Farrell, he would swim every day for a couple of months. I finally got him back in December 2015."
    Vaccarezza said the time was needed to treat tendonitis. "There was no tear and no need for surgery," he said.
    Little Mike has had eight recorded workouts since April, including a series of mile breezes.
    "If you saw him, you'd think he's a 3-year-old," said Vaccarezza. "His coat is incredible and he looks very happy. I know he's not going to be running against the best competition and there's a big difference between breezing and running in a race, but he's ready for Saturday.
    Elivis Trujillo, who rode Little Mike is his last start, will be aboard.
    Little Mike has won 14 of 29 starts and earned $3,543,012.

Read more: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/little-mike-set-for-return-saturday/

Catalina

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 04, 2016, 03:16:21 PM
Well, this explains their thinking and it sounds like he's been rehabbing like the millionaire that he is.

"Since May of 2014, the horse went to WinStar Farm, then to Dr. Bramlage at Rood & Riddle, then to Ocala Stud," said Vaccarezza. "He's been in the best places you can think of, the equine version of the Mayo Clinic or the Cleveland Clinic. He's been pampered. We put him in a hyperbaric chamber and an equine saltwater spa. At Ocala Stud with Mike O'Farrell, he would swim every day for a couple of months. I finally got him back in December 2015."
    Vaccarezza said the time was needed to treat tendonitis. "There was no tear and no need for surgery," he said.
    Little Mike has had eight recorded workouts since April, including a series of mile breezes.
    "If you saw him, you'd think he's a 3-year-old," said Vaccarezza. "His coat is incredible and he looks very happy. I know he's not going to be running against the best competition and there's a big difference between breezing and running in a race, but he's ready for Saturday.
    Elivis Trujillo, who rode Little Mike is his last start, will be aboard.
    Little Mike has won 14 of 29 starts and earned $3,543,012.

Read more: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/little-mike-set-for-return-saturday/

And as always, if the horse comes back sound and in the money, then Vaccarezza is right.  But if he's wrong?  Sorry, IMO it's an unjustifiable risk.  Same as Red Cadeaux was IMO an unjustifiable risk.

Raven

Or Wake at Noon
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Catalina

Print
User actions