HORSE RELATED TRIVIA

Started by Raven, October 30, 2013, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Catalina on November 17, 2013, 08:43:07 AM
Jay Silverheels, of Tonto fame.

"Scout" would be mighty proud of you!   :D  You're a winner!   :)

>Silverheels was born Harold J. Smith on the Six Nations of the Grand River First Nation, near Brantford, Ontario, Canada, one of 11 children of a Canadian Mohawk tribal chief and military officer, Major George Smith.  Silverheels excelled in athletics and lacrosse before leaving home to travel around North America.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Silverheels
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Catalina

Name the horse:

This horse, a multiple Grade 1 Jump Racing winner, won his last  major steeplechase with a bit that had broken early in the race,  and successfully fought off a late challenge in spite of a bowed tendon.  He was retired after this race.

Edited to add:  Past winner of Hennessy Gold Cup and Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Edited to add:  Our mystery horse was retired before Arkle's first win of the Cheltenham Gold Cup.  To my knowledge,
                              they  never competed against each other.
Edited to add: Red Rum wasn't even born when our mystery horse was retired from racing.   

Edited to add:  Like Mill House, he was trained by Fulke Walwyn.

Edited to add:  Our mystery horse's last race was the French equivalent of the Grand National.

Edited to add:  In his last race (the French equivalent of the Grand National), our mystery horse was ridden by
                              Fred Winter, and that ride (with a bit that broke at the fourth fence) was deemed
                              Fred Winter's most famous victory. 

Catalina

I added another clue to the original post.

BaroqueAgain1

Arkle?

Catalina

Good guess, but no, not Arkle.  Our mystery horse was retired before Arkle's first win of the Cheltenham Gold Cup.  To my knowledge, they never competed against each other.

BaroqueAgain1

Red Rum?

Catalina

No, not Red Rum.  Red Rum wasn't even born when our mystery horse was retired from racing. 

And another clue:  Like Mill House, he was trained by Fulke Walwyn.

Catalina

Our mystery horse's last race was the French equivalent of the Grand National.

Catalina

In his last race (the French equivalent of the Grand National), our mystery horse was ridden by Fred Winter, and that ride (with a bit that broke at the fourth fence) was deemed Fred Winter's most famous victory. 

mchorseracecall

Quote from: Catalina on November 19, 2013, 05:32:06 PM
In his last race (the French equivalent of the Grand National), our mystery horse was ridden by Fred Winter, and that ride (with a bit that broke at the fourth fence) was deemed Fred Winter's most famous victory.

The name of the horse is Mandarin, who won the inaugural running of the Hennessy Gold Cup in 1957, and the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1962.

Catalina

Quote from: mchorseracecall on November 19, 2013, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: Catalina on November 19, 2013, 05:32:06 PM

The name of the horse is Mandarin, who won the inaugural running of the Hennessy Gold Cup in 1957, and the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1962.

YES!!!  We have a winner!  Congratulations, Mchorseracecall!

For the story of Mandarin's famous last race, see http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fred+Winter%3A+Mandarin+and+an+amazing+steering+job+in+the+Grand...-a0114957101  What a feat for both horse and rider to win a Grand National without the aid of reins.

mchorseracecall

Here is my next trivia question:

The horse gave Australian champion jockey Damien Oliver one of his three Melbourne Cup wins, and it was also a story in the 2011 Australian Horse Racing Movie starring Stephen Curry as Damien Oliver?

(Hint1: It's not happening in 2013)
(Hint2: This horse is not based in Australia)

Flanders

Media Puzzle.  I actually just added "The Cup" to my Netflix queue recently.  I just didn't get a chance to watch it yet.

mchorseracecall

Quote from: Flanders on November 20, 2013, 01:20:27 AM
Media Puzzle.  I actually just added "The Cup" to my Netflix queue recently.  I just didn't get a chance to watch it yet.

Media Puzzle is the correct answer to my trivia question. This Melbourne Cup victory by Damien Oliver happened few days after the death of his older brother, jockey Jason Oliver in a training race (barrier trial) accident. For Damien Oliver, it was a very emotional win for him, he won the 2002 Melbourne Cup for him, and he won the 2002 Melbourne Cup for his brother Jason.

Blue Jeans

New trivia question...

Name the 2007 Kentucky Derby contender owned by Merv Griffin that defected shortly before the race.  It would be the second year in a row for one of Griffin's horses to defect before the KD.

Name the other horse.
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Print
User actions