Belmont Derby/ Oaks

Started by peeptoad, July 06, 2016, 09:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

... this Saturday at the Stars & Stripes festival at Belmont. Fields draw in this afternoon, but here are the likely entrants:

Derby
Airoforce
Applicator
Aquaphobia
Beach Patrol
Call Provision
Camelot Kitten
Deauville
Highland Sky
Humphrey Bogart
Long Island Sound
Ralis
Surgical Strike
Toughest 'Ombre

Oaks
Auntie Joy
Ballydoyle
Catch a Glimpse
Coolmore
Decked Out
Harmonize
Land Over Sea
Last Waltz
Magnanime
Noble Beauty
Pricedtoperfection
Secure Access
Time and Motion

Plus the Suburban is also on Saturday: expected are Eagle, Effinex, Mubtaahij, Noble Bird, Samraat, Shaman Ghost and Turco Bravo.

Seems like a nice day of racing on Long Island!  :thumbsup:

BaroqueAgain1

The Derby looks pretty wide open, but in the Oaks it's hard to see past Catch A Glimpse. Interesting that a certain Irish outfit has both Ballydoyle and Coolmore in the race. Ballydoyle was highly thought of (hence the name) and had some success as a two-year-old, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her do well.
Hard for me to learn much about Coolmore the horse, because every search I do on Bloodhorse just gives me Coolmore the breeding/racing business.  ;)

Man o Taz

I wondered if Mark Casse would run Catch A Glimpse against the boys after her last race where he finished 1-2. I hope he would put them in two different races. Have to cheer for Airoforce.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Freespool

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 06, 2016, 11:03:08 AM
Hard for me to learn much about Coolmore the horse [...]
Coolmore's Racing Post profile.
"I tried to clock him, but I might as well have been using a sundial." - Ted H. West on Jet West's workout at Nad Al Sheba before the 2006 Golden Shaheen

BaroqueAgain1

Thanks for that. Interesting that both of these Galileo fillies are out of Storm Cat mares.

BaroqueAgain1

The field has been drawn:
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/213066/catch-a-glimpse-needs-to-be-mighty-in-oaks
Besides Catch a Glimpse and the two Ballydoyles (just imagine the fun writers will have if one of them wins), I'm curious to see if the classy Land Over Sea will do well back over the green.

Dusty

The Oaks field is very interesting as a the morning line odds which i think will shift dramatically - Auntie Joy is a question but I think offers value - just wish they had a different jock - hmm time to over think!
May they run with the wind

Senator L

The Oaks seems really wide open. Don't know what to do
with Land Over Sea
Bellamy Road seems to be siring some winners on the turf lately

Man o Taz

I think the Derby is wide open, but have to give the edge to Catch A Glimpse in the Oaks. She has been stellar this year.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

Catch A Glimpse is the one to catch. I don't know why their is
so much chatter about her getting the distance though. It happened
last year with Lady Eli too.

Senator L

It looks like Catch A Glimpse will have plenty of company at the front
so I'm going with the #4 Time and Motion
Good luck

peeptoad

Both of these are great betting races...
Probably going with Beach Patrol in the Derby, though I also like Deauville (ugh, that post), Highland Sky, Long Island Sound, and Call Provision.

IMO Catch a Glimpse is a huge bet against in the Oaks. She'll definitely get pace pressure, she's never run this far and at 2-1 from the 12-hole I can't use her. Definitely respect that she's undefeated on turf, but no thanks here.
I had Noble Beauty tagged as a bet back after the Regret, regardless of where she wound up,so she is my top pick here and I love her price. Decked Out is also a good price, and has proven herself on the west coast, Ballydole appears to be the best of the Euros. Probably box those three and bet Noble Beauty separately.

good luck

peeptoad

Nice race by Catch a Glimpse... she sure proved me wrong, although both horses whose post I was concerned about ended up winning, so...  :o

ElPrado

Nice little win for Twilight Eclipse in that allowance. Confidence builder, probably, after the not quite get goings in the stakes he's been in this year.

Man o Taz

Catch A Glimpse was nice in her win - just enough to get it done...Deauville the class of that field. Do not know what happened to Airoforce. Maybe he likes to go shorter.

And kudos to Twilight Eclipse.

Print
User actions