Main Menu

DelMar

Started by Dusty, July 23, 2016, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Quote from: stark on July 25, 2016, 08:38:47 PM
Trying my best to follow the logic with regards to protests and unhappy people......Mr. Mandella thought it not safe to work his prize mare one day BUT IT WAS OKAY TO SEND HER OUT THE FOLLOWING MORNING EVEN THOUGH THE TRACK MANAGEMENT SAID WE DIDN"T TAKE ANY CORRECTIVE ACTION.

Huh?

From what I hear that is not exactly - true - they "firmed up " the portion of the track that seemed loose... why they would say they did nothing --well decide for yourself
May they run with the wind

Dusty

The "news " is not good - I am still not sure the surface change was a wise idea - go back a few years - DelMar is where the turf meets the surf - very challenging to keep a surface consistent - the synthetic seemed to work but they never invested in the experts = say what you will but Hollywood Park had one of the safest and fairest synthetic tracks in America - sorry but the crew at DelMar is lacking - for them to say all is well is is to me an offense

Dusty

More on Saturday = Duchessa and another in race 2 the injuries and breakdowns continue

curtis

Quote from: Dusty on July 26, 2016, 10:48:41 PM
The "news " is not good - I am still not sure the surface change was a wise idea - go back a few years - DelMar is where the turf meets the surf - very challenging to keep a surface consistent - the synthetic seemed to work but they never invested in the experts = say what you will but Hollywood Park had one of the safest and fairest synthetic tracks in America - sorry but the crew at DelMar is lacking - for them to say all is well is is to me an offense
Del Mar has been fighting a sink hole near the quarter pole since a storm in 1980. Given the usage that the facility gets, it will probably never be fixed properly--surely not in the midst of a meet. They seemed to get the synthetic track figured out, to an extent, but they were always going to be limited by it, so hence the change. Don't expect anything more than a lot of spinning when explanations are given.

stark

Did you know....
Del Mar regular maintenance - digs up the main track every Friday and Monday after training.

There's a good explanation why the track plays different (slower) on Fridays than Thursdays!

stark

Chubasco, unstarted Mandella 4yo Tapit colt who cost $725k as yearling, euthanized this am after fracturing pastern following 5f gate work

CA_Chrome

So sad regarding Chubasco. In the case of a horse unraced this late in his 4-year-old year suggests the colt had problems that indicate this one should have been given a chance at a different career than racing.

stark

Jay Privman

Del Mar: Grim, sobering start to Pacific Classic Day

A horse broke down badly during a workout and  her rider was transported to a hospital during training on Saturday morning at Del Mar, just hours before Del Mar is to present the biggest race of the summer, the $1 million Pacific Classic, featuring Beholder, California Chrome, and Dortmund.

Shortly after the first renovation break at 7:45 am, a horse identified by clockers as the 3-year-old filly Alicanto, trained by Eddie Truman, broke down just past the finish line while working six furlongs from the five-furlong pole.

Her rider was thrown to the ground and did not move until being placed on a backboard by paramedics, who arrived quickly and transported him to a hospital.

Further information on both horse and rider will be reported when confirmed.

Training was halted when the incident happened, and the track is now being renovated anew.

stark

Del Mar set an all-sources handle record of $25,060,204,

stark

All the Marbles, a promising turf runner trained by Marty Jones, had to be euthanized on Sunday morning shortly after suffering a catastrophic ankle fracture just as he was completing a workout on the turf course.

All the Marbles was nearing the finish line when he was stricken and fell immediately to turf, throwing his rider, the former jockey Corey Black. Black scrambled out of harm's way. He was checked out at track first aid and was later reported to be ok, according to track stewards.

All the Marbles got to his feet, but the extent of his injury was severe.

All the Marbles was a 3-year-old colt by Lonhro out of the Belong to Me mare Miss Houdini who won the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante in 2002. He had won once in three starts and earlier this meet was second by a nose in an allowance race on turf going 1 1/16 miles. He was bred and was owned by Bo Hirsch.

All the Marbles became the 15th horse euthanized, either racing or training, since the meet began July 15. There are still two weeks to go.  There were nine horses euthanized from racing or training injuries last summer.

Of the 15 fatalities, 12 have occurred on dirt, three on turf. The two prior grass fatalities came in races. Of the 12 dirt fatalities, eight came in workouts, four in races. At least two of the fatalities were from suspected sudden heart or lung ailments, not fractures. All horses euthanized undergo necropsies at the University of California at Davis.

BaroqueAgain1

Aw...a Lonhro.  :'( Not that all the horses aren't special, but I'm a fan of that Aussie black stallion's offspring.
   I have a morbid, how-does-that-get done question, if anyone here has the answer.
   UC Davis is up north. How does the track and/or owners transport a deceased 1000+ lb. animal there...and prevent decomposition during the long trip?

Catalina

Or do they maybe not always ship the whole horse to autopsy, only the pertinent parts?  Refrigerated truck, one assumes, that maybe makes the rounds of all the state tracks?

BaroqueAgain1

I would think that, if the necropsy is going to be thorough, all the horse is 'pertinent.' You need the body to study the organs, like the heart and lungs, and the legs to examine fractures or tendon/ligament injuries.
   Since most of the fatalities were euthanized, UC Davis isn't really trying to find cause of death. I presume that they're studying the whole horse to gather data on why a horse broke down. And if the horse collapsed and died suddenly, they probably want to look at its cardiovascular system.

Catalina

Sending the whole horse undoubtedly would be better.

stark

Print
User actions