Steven Crist: Eclipse votes

Started by peeptoad, January 02, 2014, 03:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

I would have voted Lava Man in 2006 had Invasor not been there.

Even if Invasor had lost to Bernardini in the Breeders Cup Classic, I still would have selected him first. 

But as an older male in 2006, I think that Lava Man was the second best horse running.

The fact that it has been done twice I think gives us few comparisons to make...

I am glad we share the same opinion regarding Game On Dude for the award, but I certainly understand those people who suggest that his inability to win the BC Classic on his home turf is defining for his campaign. I would say there was a bias against geldings, but we know Wise Dan is a gelding as well.

I am hopeful Game On Dude will win the award at some point, but agree that he is running out of time. The BC Classic will be particularly challenging for him given that no horse has ever won it at 6 or older. I still think it was a mistake to have him sit out the Goodwood Stakes. I know the connections saw that as an excellent opportunity for him to enter the Classic rested and sharp, but th Goodwood win (particularly over Mucho Macho Man) would have probably cemented him as champion older male...and made the Classic less determinative in the year end awards.

For myself, I hope they campaign him more in the Northeast. I think he's an excellent fit for the Woodward Stakes, but I understand the money is not as much as the Pacific Classic. Then how about the Jockey Club Gold Cup...I know his performance in the Belmont Stakes was nothing to write home about, but that was before he reached his peak. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on January 29, 2014, 06:01:22 AM
I would have voted Lava Man in 2006 had Invasor not been there.

Even if Invasor had lost to Bernardini in the Breeders Cup Classic, I still would have selected him first. 

But as an older male in 2006, I think that Lava Man was the second best horse running.

The fact that it has been done twice I think gives us few comparisons to make...

I am glad we share the same opinion regarding Game On Dude for the award, but I certainly understand those people who suggest that his inability to win the BC Classic on his home turf is defining for his campaign. I would say there was a bias against geldings, but we know Wise Dan is a gelding as well.

I am hopeful Game On Dude will win the award at some point, but agree that he is running out of time. The BC Classic will be particularly challenging for him given that no horse has ever won it at 6 or older. I still think it was a mistake to have him sit out the Goodwood Stakes. I know the connections saw that as an excellent opportunity for him to enter the Classic rested and sharp, but th Goodwood win (particularly over Mucho Macho Man) would have probably cemented him as champion older male...and made the Classic less determinative in the year end awards.

For myself, I hope they campaign him more in the Northeast. I think he's an excellent fit for the Woodward Stakes, but I understand the money is not as much as the Pacific Classic. Then how about the Jockey Club Gold Cup...I know his performance in the Belmont Stakes was nothing to write home about, but that was before he reached his peak.

I don't know if this is still a possibility--given most connections disdain for having their horse beaten it probably isn't--but at one time the connections of both Mucho Macho Man and Will Take Charge were talking about the Big 'Cap.  If Game On Dude could beat them in that race it would go a long way towards finally shutting a few people up.  The Santa Anita track, I always believed, plays differently in the Winter than in the Autumn as the weather is much different.

Man o Taz

That would be a great race - like the Big Caps of old which featured the top horses in the country.

Mucho Macho Man has proved he likes the surface with two G1 wins over it last fall.

But your point about connections not wanting to get their horses beat might be what keeps Mucho Macho Man away from the race...

I think Mr. Lukas has not fear and might consider that race if Will Take Charge is successful in the Donn Handicap...which means a top finish...

HRN for whatever its worth has the three of them being featured in that race...

http://www.horseracingnation.com/race/2014_Santa_Anita_Handicap
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on January 30, 2014, 07:15:09 AM
That would be a great race - like the Big Caps of old which featured the top horses in the country.

Mucho Macho Man has proved he likes the surface with two G1 wins over it last fall.

But your point about connections not wanting to get their horses beat might be what keeps Mucho Macho Man away from the race...

I think Mr. Lukas has not fear and might consider that race if Will Take Charge is successful in the Donn Handicap...which means a top finish...

HRN for whatever its worth has the three of them being featured in that race...

http://www.horseracingnation.com/race/2014_Santa_Anita_Handicap

We can always hope! 

Print
User actions