Notes On A Scorecard

Started by stark, June 23, 2016, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaroqueAgain1

Drefong, a three-year-old colt by Gio Ponti, just won a 6 1/2 furlong AOC at Santa Anita so easily that I'm pretty sure that Bob is going to be stepping this talented colt up in both class and distance for his next out.

stark

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 04, 2016, 03:11:17 PM
Drefong, a three-year-old colt by Gio Ponti, just won a 6 1/2 furlong AOC at Santa Anita so easily that I'm pretty sure that Bob is going to be stepping this talented colt up in both class and distance for his next out.

1:08 flat out in 1:14-3 for 6 1/2 and he'll get better the longer they go, what's not to like! :celebrate:

BaroqueAgain1

I didn't think that a Gio Ponti would be so frelling fast, but I see that Drefong is out of a Ghostzapper mare. That could add some speed.  ;D

stark

103 Beyer for Drefong

peeptoad

BaroqueAgain1

The colt has been off for nearly 14 months, so it makes sense to me that his first back would be something a bit easier than throwing him in with 'Chrome and Dortzilla would be.  ;)

stark

Power Jam set a track record in R9 for 5 1/2 furlongs (1:01.71), breaking the old record set by Kona Gold in 1999 @ SantaAnita.

Dusty

Quote from: stark on July 10, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
Power Jam set a track record in R9 for 5 1/2 furlongs (1:01.71), breaking the old record set by Kona Gold in 1999 @ SantaAnita.

DID NOT see that one coming....OUCH
May they run with the wind

stark

A winner of 68 stakes races in his Del Mar career, 10th most ever, veteran jockey Patrick Valenzuela was denied reinstatement by the California Horse Racing Board. Valenzuela, 53, can re-apply in one year, at which time he will be advised to present evidence of rehabilitation, including the results of alcohol and drug testing performed on a regular basis, not less than once a week. The ruling is another sad chapter in the saga of the sometimes brilliant but also troubled career of Valenzuela, who started in 1980 as an 18-year-old and won 764 races at the seaside oval, a mark eclipsed by only Hall of Famers Laffit Pincay Jr. (1,011), Bill Shoemaker (889) and Chris McCarron (849).

Catalina

Quote from: stark on July 21, 2016, 10:14:38 AM
A winner of 68 stakes races in his Del Mar career, 10th most ever, veteran jockey Patrick Valenzuela was denied reinstatement by the California Horse Racing Board. Valenzuela, 53, can re-apply in one year, at which time he will be advised to present evidence of rehabilitation, including the results of alcohol and drug testing performed on a regular basis, not less than once a week. The ruling is another sad chapter in the saga of the sometimes brilliant but also troubled career of Valenzuela, who started in 1980 as an 18-year-old and won 764 races at the seaside oval, a mark eclipsed by only Hall of Famers Laffit Pincay Jr. (1,011), Bill Shoemaker (889) and Chris McCarron (849).

That was pretty much the only ruling CHRB could make, given his history.  Probably should have ruled that the previous time around.

stark

Hoppertunity will scratch Sunday from G3 Cougar per trainer Bob Baffert. Fever, not serious.

BaroqueAgain1

Sophomore colt Stradivari, contestant in two of this year's three Triple Crown races, was injured during training at Saratoga Friday morning. Breezing five furlongs in company with fellow Todd Pletcher trainee and Belmont Stakes runner-up Destin, Stradivari was pulled up sharply during the gallop out by exercise rider Patti Krotenko. He was vanned off the main track.
     According to the Daily Racing Form, Stradivari suffered a lateral condylar fracture of his right front leg. He has been transported to the Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Saratoga to be evaluated for surgery.
     "The X-rays were not as bad as we first feared, the sesamoids are intact," trainer Todd Pletcher said. "Just waiting to hear back."

Read more: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/stradivari-injured-workout-friday-morning-saratoga-possibly-facing-surgery/

I hope the MdO colt recovers completely, but I have doubts that we will get to see him on the track again.  :(

stark

From the guys at TimeformUS, their top 15 speed ratings for 2016 3YOs going a route of ground....

peeptoad

That's a more concrete example of my feeling about this crop... as it is right at this moment they strike me as a decent enough group with no real standout. Possibly Exaggerator, but I could see a completely different Haskell result if they went 4/5 second slower during that opening quarter of the Haskell. The biggest positive I take from that list is Amer Freedom running the top TF # by running second. He's the most likely winner imho if that opening quarter went a bit slower. Just pure conjecture at this point though...

stark

Can you name these jocks doing their best karaoke at the PDJF fund raiser?

Print
User actions