G1 Woodward Stakes - August 30th

Started by Man o Taz, September 04, 2014, 08:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Well, I was sorry I did not see any headlines - Its His Lucky Day...for Itsmyluckday.

What a race.

He was my top horse for the race. I liked Moreno winning the Whitney and I am glad he ran a respectable second.

Like War Pass, I really cheer for the son's of Lawyer Ron.

His performance here really makes me think that he would have given Verrazano all he could handle in the Pegasus and the Haskell last year if he had remained healthy.

And who know, maybe he is a 10 furlong horse.

I do wonder what his next race will be.

I think he should be rested...and not be given a 10 furlong effort in the JCGC. Maybe try the Kelso out...as a prep for the Classic. Generally, I do not like an 8 furlong prep for a 10 furlong race. Really, I think the best place for him is the G1 Awesome Again. If he likes the Santa Anita track like he should - then that's the right prep for the BC Classic. If he does not - then run him in the BC Dirt Mile or rest him for the Cigar Mile.

He certainly has recovered from his injury and Mr. Plesa is doing an incredible job with him.

Who knows? Maybe Monmouth Park will write a race for him - though I believe the turf festival is taking place in September. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Itsmyluckyday was my top pick too... (along with many other people who made him the short-priced 2nd choice). I agree they've done a phenomenal job with him post-injury. He will also stand at Spendthrift when he retires at the end of this year:
http://www.spendthriftfarm.com/horses/itsmyluckyday.html

Plesa has already said he will most likely go in the Kelso or the Awesome Again. I think the BC is up in the air as he would need to be supplemented for 200K. Personally, I would love to see him try the Dirt Mile. I think he could smoke Bayern & co. (no offense to the Bayern fans here) at a flat mile. 10F might not be his best distance against the elite.

Man o Taz

It seems like there are a lot of quality horses this year.

I do not know that their speed figures are setting records, but with a number of the top horses sidelined with injuries there still have been credible contenders to fill the ranks.

Shared Belief
California Chrome
Tonalist
Wicked Strong
VE Day
Tapiture
Bayern

have all stepped up into the fray and comported themselves well.

This while:

Honor Code
Cairo Prince
Constitution
Top Billing
Danza
Indianapolis
Chitu
Midnight Hawk

have all been sidelined.

The older ranks have show well too...with:

Moreno
Lea
Itsmyluckyday
Palace Malice - could redeem/distinguish himself as one of the few horses to hit the Met Mile/JCGC double - Holy Bull did the Met Mile/Travers Double and Criminal Type the Met Mile/Hollywood Gold Cup double. I always questioned whether he liked Saratoga. We know he loves Belmont.
Game On Dude - will he return to form.
Majestic Harbor

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.