Who's Heading to The Jim Dandy at Saratoga

Started by afleetphil, June 10, 2014, 12:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Then that means that they are likely not targeting the Travers Stakes since it would mean a three week turn around rather than 4 if he ran in the Haskell/Jim Dandy.

So they send him to the Pacific Classic? Not if he wants to avoid Shared Belief and since its also a three week rest...or the Pennsylvania Derby...or the Awesome Again?

And I guess they are not afraid of Ride On Curlin.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 15, 2014, 12:08:58 PM
Then that means that they are likely not targeting the Travers Stakes since it would mean a three week turn around rather than 4 if he ran in the Haskell/Jim Dandy.

So they send him to the Pacific Classic? Not if he wants to avoid Shared Belief and since its also a three week rest...or the Pennsylvania Derby...or the Awesome Again?

And I guess they are not afraid of Ride On Curlin.

I would assume, that Candy Boy would not ship twice in 3-4 weeks, so I would think the Travers is out.

..and, really, who does fear Ride On Curlin? He's not exactly instilling fear in the competition, lol. (though, of course, not a bad horse)

Man o Taz

I'll be cheering for the two of them. They are both due for a win. I am a big fan of dead heats.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

I heard Kid Cruz may no longer be pointing to the Jim Dandy and Commanding Curve is entered in the Curlin.

Tonalist worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.79 over the Oklahoma training track on Saturday.

Wicked Strong worked 6 furlongs in 1:13.09 over the main track at Saratoga on Saturday.

Samraat worked 4 furlongs in 48.79 over the main track at Saratoga on Saturday.

Tapiture worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.98 over the main track at Saratoga on Monday.

Matterhorn worked 4 furlongs in 49.01 over the main track at Saratoga on Monday.

Tiz Dark worked 4 furlongs in 48.08  over the main track at Saratoga on Sunday.

Kid Cruz worked 5 furlongs in 1:03.57 over the main track at Saratoga on Sunday.

Commanding Curve worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.61 over the main track at Saratoga on Saturday.

peeptoad

The connections of Commanding Curve say they will scratch from the Curlin and go in the Dandy (per DRF). Seems like all the speed signed on for the Haskell leaving all the closers running in the Dandy. FWIW Wicked Strong will add blinks for the Dandy.
Also, Samraat is out for the rest of the year with a stress fracture.

Here is the likely field for JD:
Tonalist
Wicked Strong
Legend
Ulanbator
Commanding Curve
Kid Cruz (still only possible)

Man o Taz

Well, I guess you could argue both ways which race has the stronger field.

The Haskell will feature only 1 G1 winning three year old (Untapable), but four graded stakes winning three year olds (Bayern, Wildcat Red , 2; Albano) and five stakes winning three year olds (Irsih You Well).

The Jim Dandy will feature 2 G1 winning three year olds including a classic winner (Tonalist, Wicked Strong), and  3 graded stakes winning three year olds (Tapiture) two of which are multiple graded stakes winning three year olds (if you include Kid Cruz that's four graded stakes winning horses and would seem to tip the field in the Jim Dandy's favor but as I suggested above I do not believe that he is running in the race).  Of course, the Jim Dandy also features the Kentucky Derby runner-up.

afleetphil

That was a heck of a race. Wicked Strong leading at the head of the stretch. Challenged by Tonalist mid stretch and Wicked Strong digging in and pulling away approaching the wire.

Man o Taz

Great win for Wicked Strong - good confidence builder. I do not think Tonalist was cranked - but still ran well.

Travers should be fun - a nice quality field.

Not since Quality Road and Summer Bird faced off is there so much quality...but perhaps I'm wrong...

4 G1 winning horses...one Classic winner...Derby runner up...

Print
User actions