Three Year Old Male HOY

Started by afleetphil, September 25, 2016, 07:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afleetphil

After yesterday, I pose the question of 3 yr old male HOY ?

stark

IF
the Travers winner would happen to wire 'em in the BCC, he'd get my vote with just two G1s on his resume.

Seems to be doing just fine since the monster effort, looks like he might be scheduled to work again today?

Santa Anita   9/17/2016   Dirt   4F   46.60   Handily   1/74
Santa Anita   9/10/2016   Dirt   4F   49.20   Handily   32/56

peeptoad

IMHO Arrogate should get it if he wins the Classic, or runs extremely well in losing the Classic (and either Nyquist or Exaggerator tanks again next time out).

afleetphil

A very uninspiring group of 3 yr olds this year, after we saw greatness last year.
Maybe Arrogate, if he wins the Classic to go along with his track record Travers. Even though Exaggerator  has won two grade 1's,  and came in 2nd in the Kentucky Derby, his last couple of races have looked lousy. Nyquist, forget about him. IMO he's done.

I don't see any of em beating Chrome in the Classic.

Man o Taz

As of now which was the poll TVG posed, I would give it to Exaggerator.

He scored the most impressive prep victory in the Santa Anita Derby.

He was a close second in the Kentucky Derby coming from far back on what I saw as a slightly speed favoring track.

He scored an impressive Preakness Stakes victory winning by the greatest margin in a Triple Crown race this year.

And he won a G1 summer race in the Haskell.

I know these are all slop victories and 3 of his last 4 starts have been lackluster...but accomplishment wise I think he is the leader as of now.

As far as Arrogate goes, I could see if he is able to win the Breeders' Cup Classic that he would be deserving. I would like another victory, but champion 3 year old has been given to single G1 winners, so two impressive efforts in championship level races which is what the Travers and BCC are would not be a problem for me. I do have an issue with Arrogate only participating in 2 stakes from late August to early November...but no one else has been consistent...
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

As far as HOTY, I would not give it to Arrogate if he won just the BCC.

He has raced since the end of August in graded stakes. He would need another win which I think Baffert would try and get him.

I was wiling to support Shared Belief for the award of he had won the BC Classic, but he already had two G1s against older males under his belt. Arrogate is a different story.

I do not think any 3 year old is worthy of the award.

If Tepin or Flintshire win out they should be the 2nd and 3rd choice, not a 3 year old.

I do wonder about champion older male finalists, though. Is A.P. Indian possible if he sweeps his next two races? Runhappy was a finalist for champion 3 year old last year.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

Quote from: stark on September 25, 2016, 09:12:16 AM
IF
the Travers winner would happen to wire 'em in the BCC, he'd get my vote with just two G1s on his resume.

Seems to be doing just fine since the monster effort, looks like he might be scheduled to work again today?

Santa Anita   9/17/2016   Dirt   4F   46.60   Handily   1/74
Santa Anita   9/10/2016   Dirt   4F   49.20   Handily   32/56

CONFIRMED !!!

Man o Taz

So you are voting him for HOTY?

I do not think so. I do not think he has accomplished enough. Even with a Clark Handicap win, I doubt that he gets HOTY because what is the field likely to be? Likely a walkover.

So, in my mind, there is no way for Arrogate to win HOTY, but he has already won champion 3 year old.

I think the two finalists noted with him should be Exaggerator and Nyquist, but it may end up being Drefong and one of them. 

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 07, 2016, 07:11:47 AM
So you are voting him for HOTY?

I do not think so. I do not think he has accomplished enough. Even with a Clark Handicap win, I doubt that he gets HOTY because what is the field likely to be? Likely a walkover.

So, in my mind, there is no way for Arrogate to win HOTY, but he has already won champion 3 year old.

I think the two finalists noted with him should be Exaggerator and Nyquist, but it may end up being Drefong and one of them.
I believe Stark's comment was referencing the 3yo Male Eclipse.  Horse of the Year used to be the best horse because more often than not that horse also had the best resume.  All that has changed.  Chrome deserves Horse of the Year.  He runs his race every time and usually it is good enough.  As I said before this year is similar to 2013, the best horse won't win the award.  At least this year the winner has compiled his resume running against the best company.

stark

Welcome back Curtis, missed your commentary leading up to the big show.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on November 07, 2016, 03:16:05 PM
I believe Stark's comment was referencing the 3yo Male Eclipse.  Horse of the Year used to be the best horse because more often than not that horse also had the best resume.  All that has changed.  Chrome deserves Horse of the Year.  He runs his race every time and usually it is good enough.  As I said before this year is similar to 2013, the best horse won't win the award.  At least this year the winner has compiled his resume running against the best company.

I was confused by the HOY in the title. :)

Dusty

3 YEAR OLD - Arrogate  HOY = CHROME = No contest
May they run with the wind

Print
User actions