Ted H. West retires

Started by Freespool, July 10, 2016, 07:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freespool

A very talented trainer; he will be missed.

Santa Anita: Ted H. West disbands stable

Trainer Ted H. West said on Friday that he has disbanded his small stable and plans to leave racing. West had seven horses in training when he made the decision.

"I'm going to take some time off," he said. "I want to do something a little more enjoyable. It's come to a point when I can train horses for the rest of my life or do something else."

West has won 399 races. He began training in 1999, taking over from his father Ted West. The elder West has assisted his son in recent years, frequently spending morning watching workouts. Ted H. West said is father was "completely supportive and that made the decision easier."

Ted H. West trained such stakes winners as Ashley's Kitty, Bluesthestandard, Budroyale, Freespool and Motown Men. Motown Men won the Tiznow Stakes for California-breds in May, 2015, the stable's only stakes winner in the last five years.

Budroyale was a favorite of West's. The former claimer won such stakes in 1999 as the Grade 2 Mervyn LeRoy Handicap at Hollywood Park and Goodwood Handicap at Santa Anita prior to finishing second in the Breeders' Cup Classic at Gulfstream Park that year.
"I tried to clock him, but I might as well have been using a sundial." - Ted H. West on Jet West's workout at Nad Al Sheba before the 2006 Golden Shaheen

Dusty

Quote from: Freespool on July 10, 2016, 07:13:02 PM
A very talented trainer; he will be missed.

Santa Anita: Ted H. West disbands stable

Trainer Ted H. West said on Friday that he has disbanded his small stable and plans to leave racing. West had seven horses in training when he made the decision.

"I'm going to take some time off," he said. "I want to do something a little more enjoyable. It's come to a point when I can train horses for the rest of my life or do something else."

West has won 399 races. He began training in 1999, taking over from his father Ted West. The elder West has assisted his son in recent years, frequently spending morning watching workouts. Ted H. West said is father was "completely supportive and that made the decision easier."

Ted H. West trained such stakes winners as Ashley's Kitty, Bluesthestandard, Budroyale, Freespool and Motown Men. Motown Men won the Tiznow Stakes for California-breds in May, 2015, the stable's only stakes winner in the last five years.

Budroyale was a favorite of West's. The former claimer won such stakes in 1999 as the Grade 2 Mervyn LeRoy Handicap at Hollywood Park and Goodwood Handicap at Santa Anita prior to finishing second in the Breeders' Cup Classic at Gulfstream Park that year.

He has not had much success in the past several years - Good luck to him- he was and is a good guy
May they run with the wind

Zenyatta

I wanted to claim Blues, but by the time I got around to it, he had gone to Ted's barn. The one that got away....

Good luck to him, perhaps he could join TVG, they have a few trainers there as on-air personalities.