Turf Milers of 2016

Started by Zenyatta, June 19, 2016, 09:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

This year has brought with it a group of stateside turf horses that rival (we know Tepin does, at least) group horses in Europe. If only they could all run drug free like she did, but nevertheless, this is quite a list:

Midnight Storm (108 Beyer for his Shoemaker Mile)
Tepin
Miss Temple City
Obviously
Celestine

Have I left anyone out? When Lady Eli returns, she could be the next one added to the list.

BaroqueAgain1

Nice list. I was especially happy to see Obviously show that he may be back to his best form in his stylish win in the Poker.
How about Catch a Glimpse? IIRC, all she has done is win this year.  ;D

Zenyatta

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 19, 2016, 11:01:39 AM
Nice list. I was especially happy to see Obviously show that he may be back to his best form in his stylish win in the Poker.
How about Catch a Glimpse? IIRC, all she has done is win this year.  ;D

I knew I was leaving someone out!

BaroqueAgain1

From Steve Andersen on DRF:
   Obviously may run just once before Breeders' Cup Mile
   Obviously ended a two-year losing streak with a sharp win in the $300,000 Poker Stakes at Belmont Park on Saturday, a victory that left trainer Phil D'Amato in no hurry to plan another race. D'Amato said Obviously may start one more time before an intended run in the Breeders' Cup Mile here at Santa Anita on Nov. 5.

It could be that, at his age, the veteran gelding needs a bit more time to recharge, and will fire best off a good, long rest.

Dusty

Quote from: Zenyatta on June 19, 2016, 09:43:03 AM
This year has brought with it a group of stateside turf horses that rival (we know Tepin does, at least) group horses in Europe. If only they could all run drug free like she did, but nevertheless, this is quite a list:

Midnight Storm (108 Beyer for his Shoemaker Mile)
Tepin
Miss Temple City
Obviously
Celestine

Have I left anyone out? When Lady Eli returns, she could be the next one added to the list.

IS Lady Eli returning? No news lately - unless I missed it..
May they run with the wind

stark

Quote from: Dusty on June 20, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
IS Lady Eli returning? No news lately - unless I missed it..

Article from the end of May.... http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/lady-eli-nears-return-to-breezing-spa-race-possible/

Senator L

Don't forget about Ironicus  :chickendance:
he is a serious horse. Don't know what will be up
next for him though

BaroqueAgain1

I don't know if I'd classify Ironicus as a miler. It's true that he won the 1 1/16 Bernard Baruch last Sept. in a course record time, so he does have miler speed. But this year he has won the nine furlong Fort Marcy and then finished a nice second to Flintshire in the ten furlong Manhattan.
I wonder if he is one of those horses whose best distance is neither the Mile nor the twelve furlong BC Turf, but just right in between? IIRC, Gio Ponti had the same sort of problem - eight was too short, and twelve was too long.

Print
User actions