The Whitney- 08/02/14

Started by peeptoad, July 15, 2014, 05:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

The Whitney looks like the race of the summer, with the purse boost and some of the biggest names in the sport targeting the race.
So far these are the potential contenders:

Palace Malice (currently, and without question, the best older horse in the country- imo)
Departing (has been working well at the Spa, both this year and last, even though he's never raced there)
Moonshine Mullin
Will Take Charge

Anybody shipping from the west coast in for this one?

Man o Taz

I hope Revolutionary will also be there.

Too bad about Mucho Macho Man retiring before the race.

And I had hoped Game On Dude might travel for the race being $1.5, but Mr. Baffert will likely not want to ship him East again this year.

Then Wise Dan also has the race on his radar, but I think the Fourstardave will get the nod if he's fit. He is in Saratoga so we'll see.

And there are so many others who could show up too:

Zivo
Moreno
Prayer for Relief
Micromanage
Normandy Invasion
Vyjack

I just wonder if there will be any other shippers from the Hollendorfer Barn...

Blueskiesnrainbows, Heartheghost, Fury Kapcori, Sahara Sky? 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

I forgot Wise Dan. His connections did say the Woodward is a possibility, although this one might be on the radar too. I think he is far more likely to show up in one of the turf races though... (as you said).

Raven

MoZ Where did you hear that Vyjack is pointing to the race? He eased up,in his last race, if i'm not mistaken.
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Man o Taz

OK - I did not know that. I just thought he might be in it if he was healthy because he ran in the Suburban I believe.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Plesa just confirmed Itsmyluckyday will run in the Whitney!! Woot!

Man o Taz

Whoa. I thought he was taking a more conservative approach.

I guess the $1.5 million is pretty attractive. The field gets stronger.

peeptoad

It's behind a paywall, but here is the DRF article about 'Lucky being re-routed to the Whitney. Apparently he bounced out of the last race in excellent shape, and Plesa is excited about trying him against the best in the nation.

http://www.drf.com/news/premium/itsmyluckyday-re-routed-whitney-handicap

Man o Taz

Great. Thanks.

peeptoad

The field is set!! Looks like a corker!

$1,500,000 Whitney Handicap (gr. I, approximate post time 5:45 p.m. EDT), 3YOs & Up, 1 1/8 miles (dirt)
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Odds
1. Will Take Charge, L. Saez, D W Lukas, 4-1
2. Prayer for Relief, J. Rosario, D Romans, 20-1
3. Moreno, J. Alvarado, E Guillot, 10-1
4. Itsmyluckyday, P. Lopez, E Plesa Jr., 12-1
5. Palace Malice, J. Velazquez, T A Pletcher, 1-1
6. Departing, R. Albarado, , A Stall Jr., 6-1
7. Romansh, J. Ortiz, T Albertrani, 10-1
8. Golden Ticket, J. Leparoux, K McPeek, 20-1
9. Last Gunfighter, J. Castellano, C Brown , 15-1

Senator L

Good field for sure. This is one of those races where I think the line maker
screwed up. Departing is 6 -1 and Itsmyluckyday is 12 -1???
I'd take that at post time  :chickendance: + you get Paco who is riding lights out.
The other one that is coming into the race well is the #3 Moreno bullet works
and he shortens up to a 1 1/8 but I don't see anyone beating Palice Malice
So far my picks will be 5 w 3 w 1,2,4
Good luck

Raven

I like Itsmyluckyday in here with Will Take Charge for second.
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Flanders

I like quite a few of these horses.  I won't be sad is Departing finally wins a G1, though I doubt it.

1 - Palace Malice
2 - Itsmyluckyday
3 - Will Take Charge
4 - Departing

afleetphil

Palace Malice just didn't fire. I still believe in him. Throw this race out.

Man o Taz

I was cheering for both winners. These were my top two - Moreno and Itsmyluckday. I was leaning slightly more for Itsmy...but I am happy with the result.

I think the top two are pointing for the Woodward which is great.

I question whether Palace Malice really likes Saratoga.

Granted he broke his maiden there, and he did win the Jim Dandy last year, but he seems very inconsistent. 2 wins - and 2 finishes 4th and 6th...not even in the money.

We'll see. I wonder if they'll retire him after this year.

It will also be interesting to see what his next race is - it seems he may go in the Woodward. He has won three times at a mile this year. And once at 9 furlongs. I guess they may want a 9 furlong win before he tries the Jockey Club Gold Cup...if he wins the Woodward and the JCGC it would be hard to take HOTY away from him unless California Chrome were able to win the Classic or at least against elders in another race. 

Print
User actions