G1 Malibu Stakes

Started by stark, December 21, 2016, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Drefong will skip the Grade 1 Malibu Stakes on Dec. 26, opening day of the winter meet at Santa Anita, trainer Bob Baffert confirmed Wednesday morning.

"He got a little temp about a week ago, I had to treat him," Baffert said. "He's just going back to the track now."

Drefong, whose five straight wins include the Grade 1 King's Bishop at Saratoga and BC Sprint at Santa Anita, would have been favored in the seven-furlong Malibu.

Without Drefong, the leading contenders in the Malibu include BC Sprint third-place finisher Mind Your Biscuits, stakes winner Sharp Azteca and Baffert-trained Ten Blessings.

Ten Blessings earned a 106 Beyer Figure winning a first-level allowance on Nov. 4. While he is expected to run in the Malibu, the status of two other Baffert trainees will be determined after they work on Wednesday.

Jazzy Times and Mor Spirit work at 7:45

Man o Taz

This is a shame. He had a nice late season rush. I thought he delivered one of the top BC performances winning on the lead on the rail.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Despite Drefong missing the race this race (and the rest of the card) looks pretty solid. I'm definitely continuing the tradition of departing the family holiday event, going home, and losing some of the my Christmas money!  :thumbsup:

Diver52

AND a beer festival!  Pity it's going to be so darn cold.

Print
User actions