Travers Stakes

Started by Man o Taz, August 09, 2016, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

One for the historians of the game....

curtis

They have photos of Longden setting the win record--on Arrogate, no not this Arrogate but that Arrogate--and Shoe later breaking Longden's record on a filly named Dares J up on the wall in the clubhouse at Del Mar.  Both records were set on Labor Day fourteen years apart. The only problem is, the photos are switched. Longden is identified as Shoemaker and vice versa.

Senator L

How could you remember he broke that record with Arrogate?
I have trouble with the month I'm in... :chickendance:

peeptoad

Here's a piece that touches on the old and the new:
http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-it-aint-arrogating-if-you-can-do-it

curtis

Quote from: Senator L on August 31, 2016, 10:24:21 AM
How could you remember he broke that record with Arrogate?
I have trouble with the month I'm in... :chickendance:
I used to run into a now retired sportswriter at the gym near where I used to live in so. CA. He once told me that people who are fanatics of horse racing and baseball, have more arcane facts committed to memory than anyone else. I've always remembered that Longden was on Arrogate when he set his record. He rode George Royal in what is recognized as his last race and win. (In what is truly an arcane fact can anyone name Longden's last mount in a sanctioned race?). Shoe rode Dares J when he broke Longden's record, Royal Derby when he won his 7,000th and War Allied when he won his 8,000th. Shoe's last ride was on Patchy Groundfog. When the Fox Hills Farm colt, Kentuckian, looked to have a future last year, I remarked that seeing the name made me think of a talented TV Lark horse from the '70's with the same name. The former was a real in and outer who was frustrating for anyone who owned, trained or rode him. Someone said that the current Kentuckian would certainly make me forget the other. I'm still waiting. As for the Arrogates, because of the milestone, I'll always remember the former but this current Arrogate looks like something else.

stark

And I remember because I lost the photo, tough beat!

curtis

Quote from: stark on September 01, 2016, 10:39:51 AM
And I remember because I lost the photo, tough beat!
Honey's Alibi, a real nice CA bred. Owned by Harry Warner, I believe. When Louis B. Mayer dispersed his stable, I think Warner bought the great CA bred mare Honeymoon from him. It was like one movie mogul signing a starlet away from another. Do you know to which movie mogul Joe Harper is related?  Don't get me started on baseball.😉

Senator L

You two certainly have been around  :chickendance:
thanks for sharing your memories

stark

That would be Cecil.

Diver52

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers the "original" Kentuckian.  His sire, T V Lark, was my first fave.  And, I was there for Longden's Last Ride.

Yeah, I'm old.  :-( 

curtis

Quote from: Diver52 on September 01, 2016, 02:56:48 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers the "original" Kentuckian.  His sire, T V Lark, was my first fave.  And, I was there for Longden's Last Ride.

Yeah, I'm old.  :-(
Loved the original Kentuckian. I remember him paying boxcars in the American Handicap at Hollywood Park. Rudy Campas must have hit him fifty times down the stretch. My favorite TV Lark was Quack. Except for my two knuckle headed OTTB's he's my favorite. I'm not as old as I sound--53--but my family saw a lot and shared their memories. My father saw Seabiscuit run many times. He knew everything, it seemed, Laura Hilldebrand unearthed, save for George Woolf being diabetic. I do remember seeing Majestic Prince and most of what came after that.

curtis

Quote from: stark on September 01, 2016, 02:16:24 PM
That would be Cecil.
Bingo!!  Sounds like you're ready for your close up!😉

stark

Just to totally digress for a moment.....

So here's today's typical Pick4 from TVG...
5x4x3x1
12 horses on your ticket for a cost of $30 at the 50cent increment.

Back in the day I honestly believe we had to be better handicappers and learned how to focus on picking winners!  Gimmicks have since led many to the poorhouse.  Oh sure, discipline is the key but who has that nowadays?

If you liked parlays, you had the early double, period.

If you had $6 you could walk up to the "combo" window, those ticket multicolors were especially pretty when torn up!

If you liked exactas they cost you $5 each, boxing 3 horses cost $30 back when $30 actually meant something, and you could play races 5-7-9.

And then came Pick3s where the minimum cost was $3 per combination, that'll get you to narrow down your choices in a hurry!

Geeesh, speaking of "don't get me started" please accept my apologies, we return you now to your regularly scheduled program.

curtis

And then there was my Grandmother's method.  While in college, I read the book The Boys of Summer.  Lately I recommended the book to my wife, who loved it, and daughter who has yet to read it.  Because of that book, over the last few months, I have cashed double digit payoffs on Junior Gilliam, Preacher Roe and, just today, Pee Wee Reese.  It ain't scientific and anybody named Andy (S or B) would laugh in my face but Granny would be proud.  Yeah I remember the $5 Exactas--I have an orange $5 Exacta sign from Del Mar hanging in my tack room.  A three horse baseball, cost you $30.  There must be poetry in that somewhere.

stark

I believe Moose Skowron belongs in that group too.

Lots of systems have worked very well over the years.....wife liked the greys in the mud but had no idea who Relaunch was!

Print
User actions