Main Menu

DelMar

Started by Dusty, July 23, 2016, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

On Travers Day......

Del Mar race 3: two scratches reduce Pat O'Brien field to three runners

Outside Nashville (1) and Cautious Giant (2), the two longest shots on the morning line in the Grade 2, $200,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes today at Del Mar, have both been scratched, according to Del Mar's racing office, reducing the five-horse field to just three runners.

Masochistic (5) is the heavy favorite in the race, with Vyjack (3) -- making his West Coast debut -- the second choice. Indexical (4) rounds out the field.

stark

Quote from: stark on August 27, 2016, 09:15:48 AM
On Travers Day......

Outside Nashville (1) and Cautious Giant (2), the two longest shots on the morning line in the Grade 2, $200,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes today at Del Mar, have both been scratched, according to Del Mar's racing office, reducing the five-horse field to just three runners.

Masochistic (5) is the heavy favorite in the race, with Vyjack (3) -- making his West Coast debut -- the second choice. Indexical (4) rounds out the field.

$0.50 TRIFECTA 5-3-4 $1.15  :OMG:

Dusty

Quote from: stark on August 27, 2016, 09:15:48 AM
On Travers Day......

That was a joke - how can they not get more entries for a race like this??? Going to lose that G2 status
May they run with the wind

Dusty

My goodness - what are they doing at DelMar??? THIS could have been a disaster -

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... y-durante/

HOPE the link transfers - watch the replay - over half of the field was affected....just unacceptable - how did they NOT SEE the debris????
May they run with the wind

Catalina

Link didn't work, led to something else.  Try this one - not actual picture but at least verbage.  Or, video that actually shows the debri under the Jimmy Durante race video on Blood Horse. Should have been no contest.  Hope all the horses came through OK.  One (Garcia's mount, I think) jumped the debri.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/journey-home-top-controversial-jimmy-durante/

stark

Here's a link to the whole race and commentary from DRF.
http://www.drf.com/news/journey-home-wins-wild-edition-jimmy-durante-stakes

Sorry, I know it's not the popular thing to do but I"m siding with the house on this one, declaring the race a "no-contest" would have been the wrong decision, inconsistent with prior events.

I've certainly seen worse things, pigeons, seagulls, deer, fallen horses, jockeys on the ground, harness buggies flying in the air, a drunk trying boxing in the stretchrun, etc. etc. etc. that didn't refund money to the bettors.  And withholding purse money from the winners would have been shameful.

The whole case for the other side is built around intentional neglect from the track, that's just silly, and what a catastrophe it could have been, the key word being couldhave.  The fact is the field recovered and the race went on.

Was it a learning experience for the track, you bet it was.  Will the styrofoam be nailed down or replaced before a single race is run today, you can bank on it.

Just when you think you've seen everything, or you think you know every possible way there is to lose a race, something like this pops up, and there will be something to trump it in the future.  And then, everybody will say, "Remember that crazy windy day with the debris on the track at DelMar, good thing nobody got hurt"

Catalina

Sorry, Stark.  Just because in some prior events the house elected not to go to the hassle of refunding bets is no excuse for continuing to make the wrong decision. 

stark

Quote from: Catalina on November 27, 2016, 12:06:09 PM
Sorry, Stark.  Just because in some prior events the house elected not to go to the hassle of refunding bets is no excuse for continuing to make the wrong decision.

So what happens the next time a jock is left standing in the gate and his loose horse causes havoc on the course?

Or, somebody blames the track super for a treacherous spot on the track where a horse took a bad step and caused chaos?

Its actually the future events I'm concerned about and the precedent that might've been set here.  There could be a no-contest called somewhere every day I'm guessing.

How about the famous Artax race, how did they decide only ONE horse was worth refunding in that one?  If ever a race should've been declared a no-contest it might've been that one.

Really not trying to be argumentative, just seeing it the same way the stewards did, the minority opinion for sure.

stark

Meanwhile, at the track today.....

stark

Race 1
Trixies Topper

Race 5
Trump Diesel

RIP

Raven

race #9
#12 Spindle

good luck!!