Haskell Invitational

Started by peeptoad, July 06, 2016, 09:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

May as well start this thread since I have time (a scarce commodity these days) and this race might mark the return of both Nyquist and Exaggerator, since both were invited (among others):

http://www.drf.com/news/nyquist-exaggerator-among-invitees-haskell

Diver52

Baffert might actually have some competition this year and Monmouth probably won't even offer him an appearance fee. ;D

Man o Taz

Gun Runner was pointing to this start post-Derby so this could be a chance for Steve Asmussen to get his 2nd win in the race.

I think Exaggerator follows Texas Red's path and enters the Jim Dandy.

Nyquist could go to either one, but I lean toward the Haskell because of the prestige of a G1, the way the track plays, and the purse.

Arrogate should be pointed there after his nice win last out, and, who knows, American Freedom may point here as well after his Iowa Derby win. Cupid and Collected? I do not know but the first two seem to be Baffert's hottest horses right now.

Sunny Ridge has been targeting this race all year.

Pegasus Stakes winner Donegal Moon will likely get some consideration. I hope he is OK since he is up for sale after his win in the Pegasus.

Creator I would think will go in the Jim Dandy since the speed favoring Monmouth Park track will not favor his style too much unless another rabbit could be entered.

Outwork and Destin are the big question marks. Outwork I would think with his connections will stay in New York should he win the Dwyer even though the Haskell could be his type of race, and run in the Jim Dandy. Destin, I am not so sure of. I think the Haskell favors his running style.

The big question is who else is headed here?

I think Mohaymen likely stays in NY, but I think that this race sets up well for him at Monmouth. It just seems like when given a choice Kiaran McLaughlin would rather prep at Saratoga for the Travers Stakes than Monmouth Park.

Governor Malibu I would think stays in NY for the Jim Dandy.

To me I do not think the race set up for either Brody's Cause or Cherry Wine. I think they would like do better pointed for the Jim Dandy or Curlin. I think Mo Tom, Stradivari,Suddenbreakingnews, and My Man Sam.

We shall see. A fun discussion to have. Here is my guesswork.

Curlin

Economic Model
Gift Box
Mo Tom 
Stradivari
Swipe
Uncle Lino

Haskell
American Freedom
Arrogate
Awesome Speed
Brody's Cause
Destin
Donegal Moon
Extinct Charm
Gun Runner
Nyquist
Sharp Azteca
Sunny Ridge

Jim Dandy
Cherry Wine
Creator
Exaggerator
Governor Malibu
Laoban
Mohaymen
Outwork
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.