2 Year Olds of 2016

Started by Zenyatta, June 09, 2016, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

This not only qualifies for this topic but for the first crop sires of 2016.

Bodemeister had his first stakes winner with Bode's Dream taking the Astoria Stakes at Belmont today. She is now 2 for 2.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212337/bodemeisters-first-stakes-winner-in-astoria

CA_Chrome

Nice to see Bodemeister doing good at stud so far. He has an interesting bottom line with the Storm Cat / A.P. Indy cross.

Zenyatta

Silver Mission, son of first crop sire Mission Impazible, won the Tremont at Belmont June 10th. Interesting that progeny of first crop sires won both 2 year old stakes at Belmont.

ElPrado

Churchill. He's on the other side of the Atlantic, but he's already a SW in his second start and no one would name a horse that over there without expecting great things. By Galileo out of Meow (IRE) by Storm Cat. The pictures I've seen are to drool on.

BaroqueAgain1

I don't think I've ever seen a Galileo who wasn't pretty as a picture.  ;)

Zenyatta

Look out for Sweet Loretta (Tapit). She could be this year's Songbird as far as BC aspirations. Broke her maiden in the 9th just now at Monmouth.

stark

Brad Free ‏@BradFree1  3h3 hours ago
Chalon 78 Beyer Thu SA, meet's top 2yo fig. Slow early (22.32), fast late (57.26 final). Creditable debut odds-on runner-up Unique Bella.

The runner-up Unique Bella might qualify for one of the all-time "steam-horses" of backstretch secrets.  Maybe it was the $400,000 paid at auction for the Tapit yearling, a PA bred, or maybe it was the 59g workouts, whatever....the gamblers unloaded on the gray filly as she opened at 1/9 on the board and finally settled at 30cents on the dollar. 

Waiting for post race comments from Mike Smith or Jerry Hollendorfer? 

BaroqueAgain1

I watched the race and IMHO, Unique Bella is going to improve off this race. She showed her inexperience, getting away slow and going a little wide on the turn, but really leveled out in the stretch.
She's a BIG girl, looking a lot more like her dam sire, Unbridled's Song, than her sire Tapit, and she should appreciate more distance in her next race.

Zenyatta

Bobby on Fleek,  by Frost Giant out of an Out of Place mare, murdalized the competition in Belmont's 1st today. He won by 6 over a field of very nicely bred colts.

stark

Quote from: Zenyatta on July 09, 2016, 09:38:30 AM
Bobby on Fleek,  by Frost Giant out of an Out of Place mare, murdalized the competition in Belmont's 1st today. He won by 6 over a field of very nicely bred colts.

Andy Serling ‏@andyserling  2h2 hours ago
Firster Bobby On Fleek was bet like a good thing...and ran like a VERY good thing, as he absolutely galloped in the #Belmont 1st.

Zenyatta

Theonewewaitedfor, by Creative Cause out of an Eastern Echo mare (same connections as Creative Cause) won the Landaluce Stakes at Santa Anita today. She is a Cal bred, but open company for this filly? Not a problem! As long as she stays sound I can see her winning the Sorrento, Del Mar Debutante, Chandelier and BC Juvenile Fillies. I was impressed, to say the least.

Zenyatta

I neglected to add that Yolo Lady, damn of Theonewewaitedfor is a stakes winner and was graded stakes placed. She is also dam of stakes winner Alpenfest. She has the Rasmussen factor through blue hen mare Almahmoud.

Interestingly, as I look at the pedigree of Theonewewaitedfor, all her dams, with the exception of her 2nd dam, were well into their broodmare careers - 16 to 19 years old; her 5th dam was foaled in 1940! I'm loving the fact that her grandsire on her dam's sire side is Damascus.

Zenyatta

Klimt, from the Baffert barn, took the 6th today at SA. He's by Quality Road out of a Dixie Union mare.

Same connections as Bayern.    :tongue:

Diver52

Didn't take a lot of money first time out (for a Baffert) and didn't do much running, but much more focused today and finished like a good thing after being cut from 4-1 to 2-1.  Best Pal next I would expect.

Zenyatta

Gemologist finally got his first winner today at Del Mar. His filly Morganite looked impressive.

This will be smother year where the best 2 year old fillies come from the west coast,  the other one being the aforementioned Theonewewaitedfor.

Print
User actions