The (G1) Personal Ensign

Started by Man o Taz, August 20, 2014, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Well, I am disappointed after Rachel Alexandra's effort in the race that they reduced the distance to 9 furlongs from 10 furlongs.

However, I do understand with the Delaware Handicap being 10 furlongs and also in the summer they wanted to make the Personal Ensign attractive to horses that entered the DelCap as well.

This year's edition looks to be special.

Close Hatches who is coming off her strong win in the Ogden Phipps over champion three year old Beholder, and Eclipse runner-up Princess of Sylmar, will have a chance against the latter.

In addition, the upset winner of the Delaware Handicap, Belle Galantey, 4 of the 5 horses top finishers in the Ogden Phipps are entered - all stakes winners.

Close Hatches has been one of my favorites since she won the Gazelle or the Demoiselle on Wood Memorial day last year. I know Mr. Mott thought highly of this filly. It is nice to see her picking up Royal Delta's mantle for the barn. If she wins, this will be her fifth G1 win - third this year - and certainly place her at the top of the Distaff division.

While the duel between Princess of Sylmar and Close Hatches will be the main feature, sentimentally I would not mind seeing Stanwyck do well.

RACE 9 PERSONAL ENSIGN S. (GRADE I)   POST TIME - 5:15 PM

ENTRIES PLUS PPS & SELECTIONS
Exacta, Trifecta (.50), Super (.10), Pick 3 Races (9-11), Double Wagers

Saratoga STAKES

Purse $500,000. For Fillies And Mares Three Years Old And Upward. One And One Eighth Miles.
P#   PP   Horse   Virtual
Stable   A/S   Med   Jockey   Wgt   Trainer   M/L

1   Antipathy (KY)              4/F   L   I Ortiz, Jr.           118   K P McLaughlin   5/1
2   Stanwyck (KY)              5/M   L   R Maragh           116   J A Shirreffs   15/1
3   Majestic River (KY)      4/F   L   R Napravnik   118   T A Pletcher   15/1
4   Fiftyshadesofhay (KY)   4/F   L   J R Velazquez   118   B Baffert   12/1
5   Belle Gallantey (KY)      5/M   L   J L Ortiz           120   R R Rodriguez   8/1
6   Close Hatches (KY)      4/F   L   J Rosario           123   W I Mott   8/5
7   Princess of Sylmar (PA)   4/F   L   J Castellano   123   T A Pletcher   9/5

Owners: 1 - Godolphin Racing LLC; 2 - Mr. and Mrs. Jerome S. Moss; 3 - Bolton, George, Lipman, Barry and Natrona Racing Stable LLC; 4 - Watson, Karl, Pegram, Michael E. and Weitman, Paul; 5 - Dubb, Michael, Bethlehem Stables LLC and Aisquith, Gary; 6 - Juddmonte Farms, Inc.; 7 - King of Prussia Stable

Breeders: 1 - Darley; 2 - Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Moss; 3 - Briland Farm, Robert Mitchell &Stacy Mitchell; 4 - WinStar Farm, LLC; 5 - Pam and Martin Wygod; 6 - Millsec, LTD.; 7 - Ed Stanco

Equipment Changes: 7 - Princess of Sylmar - Blinkers On
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Close Hatches stamped herself the leader of her division.

Mr. Mott thought she might be the next Royal Delta in his barn - and it took her a little longer than Royal Delta - but she is coming into her own. Wow. I only wish the race were still 10 furlongs.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.