Main Menu

The Met Mile

Started by stark, June 08, 2016, 09:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

Imo that was by far the best race of Frosted's career thus far. Makes me think they could consider keeping him at 8-9f for awhile.

BaroqueAgain1

Don't you have to be close to someone to 'smother' them? Frosted was so far in front that the rest of the field may have lost sight of him.  :tongue:
Where the hell did that performance come from? For over a year, I've been watching Frosted finish behind American Pharoah and California Chrome (and in CC's World Cup win, far behind), and he's never shown that sort of turn-of-foot. Was it Belmont's one-turn mile that he loved?
I know that the connections mentioned the BC Classic after today's win, but...but...how can you not want to see this horse run a mile again?

Flanders

Bloodhorse went with dusts in their title.  ;)

ElPrado

Whatever...
The dust had pretty much settled by the time they crossed the finish line.

Man o Taz

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 11, 2016, 04:53:47 PM
Don't you have to be close to someone to 'smother' them? Frosted was so far in front that the rest of the field may have lost sight of him.  :tongue:
Where the hell did that performance come from? For over a year, I've been watching Frosted finish behind American Pharoah and California Chrome (and in CC's World Cup win, far behind), and he's never shown that sort of turn-of-foot. Was it Belmont's one-turn mile that he loved?
I know that the connections mentioned the BC Classic after today's win, but...but...how can you not want to see this horse run a mile again?

Agreed. Pointing to the Whitney. I think the big question mark will be - should he win the Whitney - where does he go next?

Does he run in the Awesome Again/Jockey Club Gold Cup on the way to the Breeders Cup Classic? Or does he perhaps run on shorter rest and run in the Woodward at 9 furlongs and then train up to the BC Classic. Or does he run in the BC Dirt Mile? I would think he points to the Classic. If they want a mile race, they can send him to the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

BaroqueAgain1

Yeah, I think there's no chance Frosted's connections choose the BC Dirt Mile over the Classic. He's now won THE major mile race in the country, and there really isn't another eight furlong stakes that would add to his stallion value.
Frosted has been competitive at ten furlongs, and I'm pretty sure that Godolphin will be gunning for that Classic win. Of course, if CC comes into the race running like he did in Dubai, the Boys In Blue may be SOL.

Man o Taz

Which is an interesting dilemma.

What is the best racing style for Frosted?

Last year it seemed he ran his best race 3rd off a lay off.

This year they seem to think that he is best off a long lay off.

But his record is sketchy here.

He comes in after winter break and is sizzling in the Al Maktoum Challenge Round 2 setting a track record for 9.5 furlongs.

He takes 7-8 weeks off and runs 5th with no excuses in the Dubai World Cup.

Then he takes 9 weeks off and sets a stakes record for the Met Mile when I always thought he was better at 9 furlongs or longer.

Now he will get another 8-9 weeks off for the Whitney in the hopes that he will be fresh to run a similar type race.

It seems he is following Honor Code a bit with his inability to run consistently.

Honor Code showed up for the big races, though, except for the BC Classic at 10 furlongs where he had zero pace to run at. Seeing what happened in the Belmont maybe Lanes End should have entered a rabbit in the race, though I really do not think that would have helped since it seemed to be Pharoah's day. Frosted showed up big here and hopefully will repeat in the Whitney.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Some horses are just erratic racers. I remember Bet Twice back in the 80s was sort of that type of horse. He was hot and cold at times... Charlsie Cantey even referred to him as "erratic" during the Belmont telecast I think.

Senator L

The "sheets" guys have him running a -7 which is the fastest
number ever. Beyer gave him a 123. Which ever you go by do
you think he'll duplicate that effort at another track and distance?

peeptoad

Quote from: Senator L on June 16, 2016, 09:40:18 AM
Which ever you go by do
you think he'll duplicate that effort at another track and distance?

Probably not, but some horses just turn the corner and this is the age (4) when many of them do it. ??

Print
User actions