G1 Haskell Invitational. 9 furlongs, July 27, 2014

Started by Man o Taz, June 19, 2014, 07:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanders

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 07, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
Uncle Sigh....was to be entered in the Long Branch...
Most likely out for rest of year, after pulling a muscle in his back when cast in his stall.

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 07, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
Strong Mandate...nothing since his last race...
He was retired at the end of May.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on July 11, 2014, 07:44:22 PM
The aggressive approach I think has to do with the bonus and it's part and parcel of Hollandorfer.  Also since Shared Belief has no breeding potential, the traditional Eastern three-year-old stake races would not really add to his value.  If he were to win his next two races with monsterous ease, I suppose he could be sold but that isn't really Dorf's M.O.  He likes to race his horses and if properly managed, Shared Belief could be a factor for years to come.

I hope not. The fact that he is a gelding certainly should weigh against that.

Thanks for the update Flanders. Did not read that about Strong Mandate.

Latest Haskell possible field:

Untapable
G1 Kentucky Oaks
G1 Mother Goose
G2 Fairground Oaks
G3 Rachel Alexandra

Wildcat Red
2nd place G1 Florida Derby
G2 Fountain of Youth Stakes
G2 Hutcheson Stakes

General a Rod
4th place G1 Preakness Stakes
3rd G1 Florida Derby
2nd G2 Fountain of Youth Stakes

Irish You Well
Long Branch Stakes

Medal Count
3rd Place G1 Belmont Stakes
2nd Place G1 Bluegrass Stakes

Bayern
G2 Woody Stephens
2nd Derby Trial (disqualification)
3rd G1 Arkansas Derby

Social Inclusion
3rd G2 Woody Stephens
3rd G1 Preakness Stakes
3rd G1 Wood Memorial

Just Call Kenny
2nd Long Branch Stakes

Encryption
3rd Long Branch Stakes

Albano
G3 Pegasus Stakes

Looks pretty good.

Embellishing Bob is another three year old who I wonder where he is pointing next.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Untapable and Bayern will headline the Haskell field...

http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/Monmouth/Untapable_and_Bayern_will_Headline_the_Haskell_123

Untapable
Bayern
Just Call Kenny
Irish You Well
Social Inclusion
Wildcat Red
Albano
Medal Count

Looks like General a Rod and Encryption may be skipping the race.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

I still love Wildcat Red, not going to jump ship after 1 race. Bayerns last
race wasreally impressive though.

Man o Taz

Bayern is impressive, but when he stretches out he seems to get into trouble so it will be a good test for all concerned.

I do not believe any of these have won at this distance except the filly...

Man o Taz

Untapable will arrive at Monmouth on Thursday for the Haskell.

Missed her work on Monday on Oklahoma where she went 4 furlongs in 50.21 because we were on the main track.

Saw her at the barn the day before and she looked fresh and playful.

Wildcat Red worked on Sunday at Monmouth four furlongs in 48.80. I think he'll love this track.

Albano worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.60 at Delaware Park yesterday.

Medal Count worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.80 at Churchill Downs on Saturday.

Bayern worked 5 furlongs in 59.80 at Del Mar on Monday.

Social Inclusion worked 4 furlongs in 48.21at Gulfstream Park yesterday.

Irish You Well worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.00 at Monmouth Park on Saturday.

Just Call Kenny worked 4 furlongs in 48.80 at Monmouth Park today.

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 23, 2014, 09:10:23 AM

Wildcat Red worked on Sunday at Monmouth four furlongs in 48.80. I think he'll love this track.

I agree. He might be the value play of the race...

Senator L

I think Untapable will be a big underlay

Senator L

Looking forward to Wildcat Red running somewhere
other than Gulfstream. I hope he shows he isn't just
a one track pony!

peeptoad

I really think Wildcat Red may be set to fire big on Sunday. He just had a good work over the MON strip, plus I saw an interview with the trainer on TVG last weekend and he said the horse is doing phenomenally... bounced out of that last race with a LOT left in the tank. Hopefully I don't jinx him...

And I'm looking to bet against both Bayern and Untapable. I actually think Untapable may outrun Bayern though. Probably use both of them somehow, but not my key horses.

peeptoad

Jim Dunleavy @DRFDunleavy

Haskell draw
1 Encrytion
2 Bayern
3 Albano
4 Irish You Well
5 Just Call Kenny
6 Social Inclusion
7 Untapable
8 Wildcat Red
9 Medal Count

peeptoad

On paper I am not convinced that Bayern wants a route of ground. I realize he won impressively going a 2-turn mile at SA, but he will get a stiff challenge on the front end here. He will also be short odds and this quote from Baffert has almost convinced me to leave him off tickets:

"Bayern is a speed horse. It's going to be a battle for him. He's going to have to be up front."
http://www.drf.com/news/untapable-favored-beat-males-haskell

...plus, it sounds as if, regardless of how he performs on Sunday, that Baffert & co. plan to shorten him back up to sprinting anyway (the King's Bishop and not the Travers is the goal following the Haskell).

I think Untapable has a much better shot at winning since she has performed solidly at 9F already and she can stalk the pace, if need be. And there is a LOT of pace here. Some of these frontrunners are going to have to take back and alter their preferred style. The trick will be figuring out who will be able to do that successfully. Instead of going that route I plan on using the filly, plus maybe one or two others that will come from off the pace, namely Just Call Kenny and probably Albano. The think the former will be excellent value. I might also throw a show bet on Wildcat Red if his odds don't drop. I think he will run well, but there is just so much other speed signed on that he may have to rate.

Man o Taz

Well, we know how this worked out.

Untapable had gate problems and Bayern flew to victory after being untested on the front end.

Saratoga will be the test for Bayern.

This is why I thought he might do better to stay out West and take on elders in the Awesome Again rather than ship East on a track that is much more tiring than Monmouth or Santa Anita.

We'll see if he can hang with the likes of Mr. Speaker, Tonalist, and Wicked Strong on their home track.

I doubted him in the Haskell, so perhaps he will prove me wrong in the Travers.

Print
User actions