Vox Populi Awards

Started by stark, November 23, 2016, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Quote from: stark on December 06, 2016, 02:33:59 PM
I don't want to hyjack this thread and make it political, but there's a similar poll going on right now for the TIME magazine person of the year.  The results are in, the people have voted.
Voters in the online readers' poll for Time's Person of the Year nominated Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi as the most influential figure in 2016..

Time says Modi had 18 percent of the vote when the poll closed Sunday at midnight, pulling ahead of his closest contenders, Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Julian Assange, who each received 7 percent.

Editors have the final say, anybody want to bet on Modi?

No matter what you think of Donald Trump's politics I do not think there is any doubt he should be Time's Person of the Year.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on December 07, 2016, 07:42:17 AM
No matter what you think of Donald Trump's politics I do not think there is any doubt he should be Time's Person of the Year.
I thought his shtick was--besides that mysogionistic, multiple bankruptcy thing--that he's not a politician?

Personally, if Time tried to sell the Electoral College Select as Person of the Year, I would never so much as pick up another issue. Even if they put me on the cover

stark

Jill Stein on behalf of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is raising money for a recount @ Time.

Penny Chennery is taking notes on behalf of Arrogate, Beholder, Lady Eli and Songbird.

CA_Chrome

Quote from: stark on December 07, 2016, 05:48:15 PM
Jill Stein on behalf of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is raising money for a recount @ Time.

Penny Chennery is taking notes on behalf of Arrogate, Beholder, Lady Eli and Songbird.

LOL! I was going to reply to the Electoral College slam but thought the better of it since this is a racing board, not a political one. Your comment is perfect and very funny.  :thanks:

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on December 07, 2016, 09:26:36 AM
I thought his shtick was--besides that mysogionistic, multiple bankruptcy thing--that he's not a politician?

Personally, if Time tried to sell the Electoral College Select as Person of the Year, I would never so much as pick up another issue. Even if they put me on the cover

You are right again, but in fairness if Putin can win it so should Trump.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: CA_Chrome on December 08, 2016, 03:48:54 AM
LOL! I was going to reply to the Electoral College slam but thought the better of it since this is a racing board, not a political one. Your comment is perfect and very funny.  :thanks:
I wasn't slamming the Electoral College. I don't believe that a candidate should be able to win the election by winning NY, CA, IL and one or two other highly populated states. Without the Electoral College, the same candidate would have won, and probably easier, as there would be no mechanism in place to limit the number of candidates. Enough Democrats would have "Felt the Bern" and would have thus weakened Hillary further. I do think the Electoral College needs some tweaking but not elimination. Since the winner compared himself to Secretariat--well he's half right😉--I figured it's fair game in here.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on December 08, 2016, 06:47:20 AM
You are right again, but in fairness if Putin can win it so should Trump.
They can promote Charlie Manson for Person of the Year for all I care. I just think they should be more sensitive to the public since that is who buys their product.

peeptoad

Quote from: curtis on December 08, 2016, 09:50:52 AM
I wasn't slamming the Electoral College. I don't believe that a candidate should be able to win the election by winning NY, CA, IL and one or two other highly populated states. Without the Electoral College, the same candidate would have won, and probably easier, as there would be no mechanism in place to limit the number of candidates. Enough Democrats would have "Felt the Bern" and would have thus weakened Hillary further. I do think the Electoral College needs some tweaking but not elimination. Since the winner compared himself to Secretariat--well he's half right😉--I figured it's fair game in here.

...since he has red hair and "blows hard"?  ;)

stark

Quote from: peeptoad on December 08, 2016, 11:49:00 AM
...since he has red hair and "blows hard"?  ;)

I think it might be fair to say, or at least arguable that Mr. Trump outperformed Secretariat in the breeding shed.

curtis

Quote from: stark on December 08, 2016, 01:31:12 PM
I think it might be fair to say, or at least arguable that Mr. Trump outperformed Secretariat in the breeding shed.
I dunno, what's the old saying: Those that speak the most, get the least?  When I met Secretariat, he was pretty quiet. Book was full, though.😉

stark

Let us not forget....

CA_Chrome

Quote from: curtis on December 08, 2016, 09:50:52 AM

Oh, I misunderstood your previous post. My apologies.

I think the Electoral College is genius. If one looks at the electoral map of counties, it's easy to see that a few huge metro areas would completely dominate presidential elections if the Electoral College did not exist. Not even states, but only Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Seattle, Boston, DC and a few other densely populated urban areas would decide all presidential elections. The Electoral College not only prevents that, but ensures that the state elections are what matters. After all, we are a union of states, not a union of huge metroplexes. Hillary Clinton won over 8.7 million votes in California. Over 2.4 million from Los Angeles County alone. That is where her so-called popular vote lead comes from, but there really is no nationwide popular vote because we don't have a single national election. We have 50 state elections, and the Electoral College ensures a degree of parity among them when we vote for presidential tickets.

curtis

Quote from: CA_Chrome on December 08, 2016, 03:53:12 PM
Oh, I misunderstood your previous post. My apologies.

I think the Electoral College is genius. If one looks at the electoral map of counties, it's easy to see that a few huge metro areas would completely dominate presidential elections if the Electoral College did not exist. Not even states, but only Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Seattle, Boston, DC and a few other densely populated urban areas would decide all presidential elections. The Electoral College not only prevents that, but ensures that the state elections are what matters. After all, we are a union of states, not a union of huge metroplexes. Hillary Clinton won over 8.7 million votes in California. Over 2.4 million from Los Angeles County alone. That is where her so-called popular vote lead comes from, but there really is no nationwide popular vote because we don't have a single national election. We have 50 state elections, and the Electoral College ensures a degree of parity among them when we vote for presidential tickets.
It is what it is.  Whoever gets more votes wins the Popular Vote.  Where they live is irrelevant. 

This premise assumes that there would only be two major candidates if the Electoral College did not exist.  What the Electoral College does is ensure that there will be only one candidate from each party along with evening up the playing field.  I don't think the disparity was that much different this time around from the last two.  The winner got people to vote that haven't been doing so, people who thought that their vote didn't matter.  Onward, for me, I get to now spend the next four years getting other things done during the State of the Union addresses.

Print
User actions