Breeders Cup DISTAFF

Started by stark, September 21, 2016, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senator L

all I hope is Mike Smith lets her roll 23 46 109.2 and when they try
and go by her she opens up...can't wait, everyone's questions will be answered. :chickendance:
I also think Beholder will go off as the favorite.
I think more people bet on Beyers than wins

stark

1 Songbird Jerry Hollendorfer Mike Smith 6-5
2 Land Over Sea Doug F. O'Neill Mario Gutierrez 30-1
3 Curalina Todd A. Pletcher John Velazquez 12-1
4 Corona Del Inca Guillermo Frenkel Santillan Pablo Falero 30-1
5 Stellar Wind John W. Sadler Victor Espinoza 5-2
6 Forever Unbridled Dallas Stewart Joel Rosario 12-1
7 I'm a Chatterbox J. Larry Jones Florent Geroux 12-1
8 Beholder Richard E. Mandella Gary Stevens 5-2

Man o Taz

So, has Mandela been playing games and saving the best for last? ;)

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 02, 2016, 12:53:59 PM
So, has Mandela been playing games and saving the best for last? ;)

Haven't seen any quotes from Stevens, but I'm assuming he pee'd his pants at the post position draw.  After the last two races he suggested he wanted to be outside and watch the race unfold, well......game on!

Man o Taz

And others have been saying that her Thorograph figure last out was the 2nd bets of her career. I do not think she was comfortable in her last two races on the inside so we shall see what happens. There will be no excuses this time. Either she has it or she does not. I actually dreamt of her last night walking into the paddock and tossing her head around and throwing her attendants left and right with each head toss. Schooling in the paddock yesterday she looked keyed up. We shall see. .
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

With all due respect to Songbird's fans I think I am against her here, mainly because of her price. She's a standout 3yo, but a complete unknown against the solid older mares she will face here. Add to that the staunch pace pressure she should take early and I think she gets beat. Objectively, I refuse to take 6/5 on a horse that is doing the unknown for the first time, no matter how good they look beating up on weaker types. Logically, I have to go elsewhere, and I think this will be a battle between Beholder and Stellar Wind. If there is a meltdown, then I like Forever Unbridled to close for at least a piece.

stark

BEHOLDER for me.
If I put Forever Unbridled on the tickets that'll spice up the exotics, Stellar Wind from a price point will be my toss.

stark

peeptoad

This was the best finish we could have hoped for (unless you bet Stellar Wind, lol). Props to Beholder!! I was hoping she'd go out a winner!!

Senator L

The photo of the finish showed it couldn't have been closer

stark

DEL MAR, Calif. – Songbird, beaten a nose in the Breeders' Cup Distaff at Santa Anita on Nov. 4 in the first loss of her career, recently passed an extensive physical examination in Kentucky and is being pointed for a 2017 campaign as a 4-year-old.

Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said on Saturday that Songbird will remain at a farm in Kentucky through December before rejoining his stable at Santa Anita.

"We scanned her from head to toe and didn't find anything significant," he said. "We found nothing.

"She'll come back and get ready for next year. She'll be there right around Jan. 1."

Owned by Rick Porter, Songbird has won 11 of 12 starts and earned $3,712,000. She was the champion 2-year-old filly of 2015 and is expected to receive the title of champion 3-year-old filly of 2016.

Songbird won her first seven starts of 2016, all against 3-year-old fillies in California, New York, and Pennsylvania, and was beaten a nose by Beholder in a thrilling running of the BC Distaff.

Hollendorfer said he has not finalized race plans for Songbird for early 2017 but has the BC Distaff at Del Mar on Nov. 3 as a long-term goal.

"I'm looking forward to the Breeders' Cup here," Hollendorfer said, speaking in the track's racing office.

"Our long-term plan is the Breeders' Cup Distaff. We'll see how she comes in and plan some spots."
http://www.drf.com/news/songbird-deemed-healthy-2017-campaign

CA_Chrome

Lovely filly. I'm glad she's healthy and coming back next year. Also glad she's turned out at a farm for awhile.

Print
User actions