Main Menu

Honor Code

Started by Man o Taz, August 13, 2015, 08:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Well, if the Metropolitan Handicap was Honor Code's coming out party, then the Whitney stamped him a true contender.

There were many who doubted his ability to go two turns. He should have put the doubters to rest.

Can he go 10 furlongs? Who knows? His pedigree says yes, but we all know that even well bred horses for distance sometimes falter.

Let us hope he does not because he is one exciting horses to watch.

The race was incredible. Watching him mornings and seeing his antics he was revved up for this race. He had sweated before it on a mildly hot summer day. All Javier had to do was hold on to him because he was ready to go.

I was taking pictures as usual and after seeing how far back he had dropped, I thought there was no way he could win this race.

Liam's Map was running away with it on the lead as he flashed past our seats. Taking photos I pan on the leader from the top of the stretch and then at the optimal point right in front of us I hold the camera to capture the other horses as they catch up. As I did this and Liam's Map continued down the stretch, I saw green and gold silks on black lightning zip by in the blink of an eye. I could not see the finish well to know if he got there, but it was an electrifying performance.

Again, plaudits to Team McGaughey. Last year, people would have thought that he was likely to be retired given his regal breeding. But McGaughey and Farrish decided to keep him running and we are all the better for it.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

I think that Honor Code is dependent on a certain race shape and pace to do his best, he got it Saturday, he didn't in the Alysheba.  The Whitney set up perfectly for he and Tonalist and they ran well albeit Honor Code ran better.  Liam's Map ran an absolutely incredible race and had every right to fold and didn't.

Man o Taz

I agree. He needs the right set up. There is no doubt about it. But he also needs a track that he likes.

He has closed in to win races with the same fractions as the Alysheba before over tracks that he liked...

Look at his Remsen...

Alysheba
23.94, 24.62, 23.42, 24.32
Remsen
25.84, 26.90, 24.82, 23.57

But the Remsen was a weird race...

I think pace if important for him to close into, but the track is more important. In the Alysheba he never got going. Word from Javier was that he never got a grip on the track and when he finally did it was too late ala Zenyatta in the BC Classic. At least she closed to 2nd by a head, when the best HC could do was 5th.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on August 14, 2015, 06:13:33 AM
I agree. He needs the right set up. There is no doubt about it. But he also needs a track that he likes.

He has closed in to win races with the same fractions as the Alysheba before over tracks that he liked...

Look at his Remsen...

Alysheba
23.94, 24.62, 23.42, 24.32
Remsen
25.84, 26.90, 24.82, 23.57

But the Remsen was a weird race...

I think pace if important for him to close into, but the track is more important. In the Alysheba he never got going. Word from Javier was that he never got a grip on the track and when he finally did it was too late ala Zenyatta in the BC Classic. At least she closed to 2nd by a head, when the best HC could do was 5th.
The Remsen was such a bizarrely run race that it doesn't work as a comparative tool.  There were really only two horses with a chance to win and they finished noses apart.  The Alysheba, to me, is an illustration that Honor Code will not show his best form against a relatively deep field of good horses with a tepid pace.  Not getting hold of the track until late is just a jockey's use of deflection as they are concocting an excuse.  If a horse isn't getting a hold of the track at the beginning of a race they won't later in the race.  Horses are big on survival they won't put out maximum effort on a track in which they are uncomfortable.  Zenyatta was so far out of it early because the pace was so much faster than any she had faced before.  It figured that those horses would come back to her and they did.  She just couldn't get by Blame. In Honor Code's case the rest of the field didn't start to come back until it was too late for him to finish on the board.

Man o Taz

Well, I have seen many talented horses have issues with the Churchill track and other tracks so we will just have to agree to disagree on this point.

If pace was the real issue, I am sure that Shug McGaughey would have run him in the Stephen Foster despite his finish in the Alysheba. He did not. And I am glad he did not because I got to see him in person run one of his best races to set up the Whitney effort.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on August 17, 2015, 06:11:49 AM
Well, I have seen many talented horses have issues with the Churchill track and other tracks so we will just have to agree to disagree on this point.

If pace was the real issue, I am sure that Shug McGaughey would have run him in the Stephen Foster despite his finish in the Alysheba. He did not. And I am glad he did not because I got to see him in person run one of his best races to set up the Whitney effort.
I doubt he would have run in both.  Honor Code has yet to hold up to such a schedule.  The Whitney's a bigger race, resume wise, and the pace is usually always honest because you get a good mix of horses.  As far as the Churchill track goes, the winners seem to like it all right.  I guess it just suits horses with less talent. ;)

Man o Taz

Well, I know Shug McGaughey just wanted to get him a G1 win ASAP figuring that he might not stay healthy the entire year so before the Alydar he mentioned the Stephen Foster, and he even mentioned it after the Alydar so it must have been given some consideration.

There is going to be a winner in every race - and yes they like it all right - but some of the place horses do not like it so much - see Zenyatta. :-D

Man o Taz

So - the Kelso's next.

I think that's fine for him.

With the BC four weeks later, and no 9 furlong prep on the East Coast which would be ideal (why didn't Keeneland move the G2 Fayette to the beginning of the meet?) the Kelso will work just fine.

Its not the JCGC, but HC has beaten up on most of these horses in the JCGC already, hasn't he?

What do you think?

Senator L

shug picked this race so he would be a little sharper coming into the classic

Man o Taz

I agree with the choice. I know this is the same route that Itsmyluckyday unsuccessfully took last year, but I believe they are two horses in different places right now. We shall see.

I believe the most important goals are (1) keeping the horse sound and (2) having him peak at the right time - will be accomplished by this schedule.

Now, will he be conditioned well enough to handle a 10 furlong race off of an 8 furlong race?

That remains to be seen, but if he wins the race I can well imagine a furlong gallop out for him.

Print
User actions