Main Menu

San Diego Hcp

Started by CA_Chrome, July 11, 2016, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CA_Chrome

Thought I'd start a thread for what will probably be the most interesting Gr II of the summer. So far the only two probables listed at HRN are Chrome and Dortmund. I suppose they'll find at least a couple of other horses whose connections will think they are running for third money, but wouldn't it be a kick if this turned out to be a match race?

Dortmund returning from a long layoff has a steady work tab:

07/10/2016     SA      6F     1:13.20     Dirt     Fast     H     G
   07/05/2016     SA      6F     1:11.20     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/28/2016     LA      5F     :59.80     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/23/2016     LA      5F     :59.20     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/18/2016     LA      5F     1:00.60     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/13/2016     LA      4F     :48.00     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/08/2016     LA      4F     :48.00     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/03/2016     LA      4F     :49.60     Dirt     Fast     H     
   05/29/2016     LA      3F     :37.60     Dirt     Fast     H     
   05/24/2016     LA      3F     :39.20     Dirt     Fast     H     

Chrome's tab since he returned from the farm:

07/09/2016     LA      8F     1:39.60     Dirt     Fast     H     
   07/02/2016     LA      7F     1:26.40     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/25/2016     LA      6F     1:12.40     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/18/2016     LA      6F     1:12.40     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/11/2016     LA      5F     1:01.00     Dirt     Fast     H     
   06/04/2016     LA      5F     1:01.40     Dirt     Fast     H     
   05/28/2016     LA      4F     :48.80     Dirt     Fast     H     
   05/21/2016     LA      4F     :49.80     Dirt     Fast     H     
   05/14/2016     LA      3F     :36.20     Dirt     Fast     H     

curtis

It wouldn't be a gr.2 without Imperative. That horse of Vlad Cerin, Follow Me Crev, that won the race right before the San Pasqual which was run in almost identical time but with a considerably lower Beyer, might go. Dorf might run someone and Sadler might run Hard Aces if he thinks he needs the race. You're right though, they're probably running for third.

Diver52

I just hope both CC and Dortzilla run well and set up a really classic PC with Beholder.  Any other entries, gravy.

curtis

Quote from: Diver52 on July 11, 2016, 10:35:54 PM
I just hope both CC and Dortzilla run well and set up a really classic PC with Beholder.  Any other entries, gravy.
I do as well. I'll be arriving for a week in Del Mar early on the afternoon on August 20 and will be staying across the street from the track. My first stop will be Del Mar about 90 minutes before the PC. Bring 'em on!

Diver52

I will NEVER go to opening day again, but a "girlfriend" and I (we're both far past girlhood!) make the PC trip each year.  She's a big fan of CC.

curtis

Quote from: Diver52 on July 12, 2016, 09:35:43 AM
I will NEVER go to opening day again, but a "girlfriend" and I (we're both far past girlhood!) make the PC trip each year.  She's a big fan of CC.
Growing up and living down that way until 2009, I went to Opening Day almost every year, but I stopped around 2006. It was just too hard to get there and too hard to get out. One year, 2003 I think, my wife, daughter and I went to a family wedding in the Midwest. They stayed for a week, while I had to come back to do some work. I got free just before Opening Day so I got a room and stayed through Saturday--Opening Day was on a Wednesday back then. That was nice as I could wait out the chaos, and then attend the next three normal days after the craziness of the Opener. I've really come to love the Fall Meet. My wife and I fly down the weekend before Thanksgiving and have a great time. The races are over by 4:30 or 5:00 and there is no wait at a restaurant. The weather is nice as well, especially coming from the Seattle area where the weather has turned damp and chilly by then.

Zenyatta

Quote from: Diver52 on July 12, 2016, 09:35:43 AM

I took the train on opening day from L.A. once. Never again, too many drunk people on board, and Amtrak had no control whatsoever. One guy puked on the arm of the poor man sitting next to me.

It was fun betting my friend Dave as to how many drunk young ladies would fall in their spiky heels during the course of the day.

Dusty

I will never go to opening day - ever  again 0 the place is on OVERLOAD = how they think they can handle the Breeders Cup is beyond me ... it is TOO small =
May they run with the wind

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dusty on July 15, 2016, 11:03:33 PM
I will never go to opening day - ever  again 0 the place is on OVERLOAD = how they think they can handle the Breeders Cup is beyond me ... it is TOO small =

I'm  baffled by the choice of Del Mar for the BC too. Very small, getting folks shuttled to and from the track will be a nightmare, let alone the bathroom lines, lol! Forget about grabbing a nite there either, for that matter.

stark

Quote from: Dusty on July 15, 2016, 11:03:33 PM

A VERY large percentage of the opening day regulars have absolutely NO idea what the BreedersCup even is, so there will be a completely different kind of crowd, but crowd nonetheless.

As for bathrooms.....well I remember the KyDerby and having to make a choice, stand in line to make a bet or the portapotty, but couldn't do both.

Very little doubt in my mind that Yogi Berra said it best, "nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded".

BaroqueAgain1

TVG just put up a list of 'probables' for the San Diego...more horses than I thought might be probable...and a couple names caught my eye; Arrogate and Dalmore.
   I thought Baffert was thinking of sending Arrogate back East for one of the sophomore stakes, but if he actually goes here, IMO he might be a bigger threat than Dortzilla. Not literally, of course.  ;)

CA_Chrome

Some of those "probables" are not likely to run, especially after Chrome's excellent work this morning. Here's a fun story that describes Chrome's arrival at Del Mar last Wednesday. He sounds full of vim and vigor, feeling good and the boss of the barn: http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/17083290/california-chrome-brings-shine-del-mar

stark

Weights for those that might attend...

CALIFORNIA CHROME 126 Art Sherman
DORTMUND 121 Bob Baffert
HOPPERTUNITY 119 Bob Baffert
NYQUIST 119 Doug O'Neill
HARD ACES 118 John Sadler
IMPERATIVE 117 Richard Baltas
VYJACK 117 Philip D' Amato
FOLLOW ME CREV 116 Vladimir Cerin
WIN THE SPACE 116 George Papaprodromou
SOI PHET 115 Leonard Powell
CRITTENDEN 114 E. G. Harty
DALMORE 113 J. Keith Desormeaux
ARROGATE 111 Bob Baffert

Zenyatta

Quote from: stark on July 17, 2016, 09:10:20 PM
Weights for those that might attend...

CALIFORNIA CHROME 126 Art Sherman
DORTMUND 121 Bob Baffert
HOPPERTUNITY 119 Bob Baffert
NYQUIST 119 Doug O'Neill
HARD ACES 118 John Sadler
IMPERATIVE 117 Richard Baltas
VYJACK 117 Philip D' Amato
FOLLOW ME CREV 116 Vladimir Cerin
WIN THE SPACE 116 George Papaprodromou
SOI PHET 115 Leonard Powell
CRITTENDEN 114 E. G. Harty
DALMORE 113 J. Keith Desormeaux
ARROGATE 111 Bob Baffert

Well can take Nyquist off the list of course.

Man o Taz

Well, that is a nice field even without Firing Line.

A G1 field definitely.

4 G1 winners - 2 multiple - no. 1 ranked dirt horse in the world. Wow.

Am I the only one not impressed with Dortmund's last work? Didn't he come home kind of slow?
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions