G1 Haskell and G2 Jim Dandy

Started by Man o Taz, July 20, 2015, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Here are possible fields.

See if you can pick which one is the $1 million race...   and the $500,000 race and let's throw in the Curlin too.

American Pharoah
Bent On Bourbon
Competitive Edge
Good Pick Nick   
Keen Ice   
Mr. Jordan
Souper Colossal
Stanford   
Tekton
War Story   

Carpe Diem
Dortmund
Frosted
Japan
Prospect Park
Tale Of Verve
Tencendur
Texas Red
Upstart

It would be funny to see the Haskell get more entries than the Jim Dandy.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

I think the new shooters target the Haskell, for the money
and chance to knock off American Pharoah
The other's who first targeted the classics had Saratoga
in their original plans

Man o Taz

Not Carpe Diem. He was leaning toward the Haskell and changed to the Jim Dandy only after it was announced that American Pharoah was headed there.

I think its foolish to run Carpe Diem in the Jim Dandy because with a crowded field, I do not know if he will perform as well as he would at Monmouth.

If he finishes 2nd or worse to the Jim Dandy group, he has nowhere to go but 2nd level graded stakes company. He comes in 2nd to American Pharoah and he still should be seen as one of the top three year old competitors in the country. Also, a G1 placement to a TC winner is creditable on a breeding resume. I hope he proves me wrong, but there are horses in it that relish the Saratoga surface like Frosted - and Frosted is actually a favorite of mine too so I would actually like him to get the stakes win here heading into the Travers Stakes.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 21, 2015, 08:58:39 AM
Not Carpe Diem. He was leaning toward the Haskell and changed to the Jim Dandy only after it was announced that American Pharoah was headed there.

I think its foolish to run Carpe Diem in the Jim Dandy because with a crowded field, I do not know if he will perform as well as he would at Monmouth.

If he finishes 2nd or worse to the Jim Dandy group, he has nowhere to go but 2nd level graded stakes company. He comes in 2nd to American Pharoah and he still should be seen as one of the top three year old competitors in the country. Also, a G1 placement to a TC winner is creditable on a breeding resume. I hope he proves me wrong, but there are horses in it that relish the Saratoga surface like Frosted - and Frosted is actually a favorite of mine too so I would actually like him to get the stakes win here heading into the Travers Stakes.
What source do you have that states Carpe Diem is going to the Jim Dandy?

Man o Taz

I read so much, I cannot recall exactly who said it.

However, I just read that Materiality is headed to the Jim Dandy, so perhaps Carpe Diem will be in the Haskell.

It just seems that Pletcher has already mentioned Competitive Edge for the race - and Stanford is on hold after his sharp Long Branch win where he finally broke through and got a stakes win - so wherever I read that Carpe was now pointing to the JIm Dandy - it just stuck with me. But I could be wrong. Maybe Stanford will skip the Haskell in favor of Carpe Diem. It would be a shame because he loves the track but to put three of your horses in the field could be a lot when they may only get 8 or 9 horses...

Found it...

2015 Saratoga Season Seasoned with Superstars

Casey Laughter
On July 19, 2015
2015 Saratoga Season Seasoned with Superstars: July 24, 2015, marks another summer start at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York. Saratoga is over 150 years deep in history surrounding the great sport of horse racing, and its meet has always given horse racing some of its greatest moments. The Travers, Woodward, and Whitney are only a few races that draw superstar horses each year. This year promises to be no different. Some horses that the horseman and fan need to watch out for upon their visits to Saratoga this year include Carpe Diem, Frosted, Tonalist, and Honor Code. Here's a look at some small profiles of prominent and likely Saratoga visitors.

Carpe Diem – This son of Giant's Causeway did not fare well in the Triple Crown races. However, the expensive colt is likely targeting the Jim Dandy on August 1. The WinStar- and Stonestreet-owned colt should improve after taking some time off before beginning his summer campaign. If he does well, trainer Todd Pletcher will likely run the colt in the Travers on August 29.

- See more at: https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/13161/2015-saratoga-season-seasoned-with-superstars.html#sthash.UW9sO99N.dpuf

This was one of the places, but I could swear there was another more authoritative source.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 21, 2015, 12:57:15 PM
I read so much, I cannot recall exactly who said it.

However, I just read that Materiality is headed to the Jim Dandy, so perhaps Carpe Diem will be in the Haskell.

It just seems that Pletcher has already mentioned Competitive Edge for the race - and Stanford is on hold after his sharp Long Branch win where he finally broke through and got a stakes win - so wherever I read that Carpe was now pointing to the JIm Dandy - it just stuck with me. But I could be wrong. Maybe Stanford will skip the Haskell in favor of Carpe Diem. It would be a shame because he loves the track but to put three of your horses in the field could be a lot when they may only get 8 or 9 horses...

Found it...

2015 Saratoga Season Seasoned with Superstars

Casey Laughter
On July 19, 2015
2015 Saratoga Season Seasoned with Superstars: July 24, 2015, marks another summer start at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York. Saratoga is over 150 years deep in history surrounding the great sport of horse racing, and its meet has always given horse racing some of its greatest moments. The Travers, Woodward, and Whitney are only a few races that draw superstar horses each year. This year promises to be no different. Some horses that the horseman and fan need to watch out for upon their visits to Saratoga this year include Carpe Diem, Frosted, Tonalist, and Honor Code. Here's a look at some small profiles of prominent and likely Saratoga visitors.

Carpe Diem – This son of Giant's Causeway did not fare well in the Triple Crown races. However, the expensive colt is likely targeting the Jim Dandy on August 1. The WinStar- and Stonestreet-owned colt should improve after taking some time off before beginning his summer campaign. If he does well, trainer Todd Pletcher will likely run the colt in the Travers on August 29.

- See more at: https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/13161/2015-saratoga-season-seasoned-with-superstars.html#sthash.UW9sO99N.dpuf

This was one of the places, but I could swear there was another more authoritative source.
Thanks, I had read he wasn't going to the Jim Dandy.

peeptoad

DRF recently quoted Pletcher saying Carpe Diem "won't run at Saratoga"... FWIW.

Man o Taz

OK - perhaps he is in the same boat as Dortmund with a fall/winter campaign being planned.

Or I wonder if he and Competitive Edge will go to the Haskell.

It is a shame because unlike Dortmund who had 5 fairly tough races, Carpe really only had 3 races - and arguably only the Derby was a tough one.

This just drives home the point much more clearly how we need to appreciate the horses that are running and not get negative because who knows how long we are going to have these beautiful, fragile creatures around.

afleetphil

Taz,

You going to the Jim Dandy

peeptoad

Carpe Diem was just officially retired per Winstar.

afleetphil

No. Damn

peeptoad

peeptoad

I would love to see Frosted and Upstart win their respective races, but that probably won't happen. I actually liked Upstart's chances more if he had stayed at the Spa. Japan would be my pick for the Dandy if I was betting...
Phaorah should romp in the Haskell; if he's just not ready off the layoff after the TC rigors, then I'll take Mr Jordan for the upset with Keen Ice and Upstart battling for 3rd. Likely won't be this race, but will bet others at MTH tomorrow.

Man o Taz

Good thoughts peeptoad.

Japan held the lead for a while, but Saratoga's tiring surface can get to the best of them.

Hope to get you pics next week.

It looks like the Travers, next. Will you be there? The Whitney?

Print
User actions