Catch a Glimpse

Started by Zenyatta, July 09, 2016, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 21, 2016, 11:09:53 AM
I wouldn't mind if everyone still called it the Lady's Secret. While Zen surely deserves to have a G1 (or two) named after her, kicking the name of Lady's Secret off the marquee in order to get it is just wrong.
Showing respect to one great horse should not mean disrespecting another.  >:(

grumblegrumblegrumble
Oak Tree owns the names of the stake races that they used to run during that meet.  When Stronach decided to cease the lease arrangement, he paid to use the names for one year and then, it was my understanding, Oak Tree decided to not rent the names any longer.  I usually don't refer to the new names either but it was politics not Stronach eccentricity in this case.  I grew up watching Money Lender, George Navanod, Telly's Pop, Habitony, Flying Paster, etc. win the Norfolk so that race will always be called by that name as far as I'm concerned.  The big F/M turf race at Del Mar will always be named the Ramona as far as I'm concerned.  I get that DMR wants to have a race named after John Mabee but the name Ramona Handicap--again I saw Minstrel Miss, Tizna, Dulcia, etc. win it--conjures up a lot of historical memories for me.  I'm assuming that one day that 1Mil 10f stake they run there will be the Joe Harper Classic.  When Eddie Read died, DMR just created a new race to honor him as opposed to renaming one.  There were more horses around then, though.