California Chrome Wins The Kentucky Derby

Started by Man o Taz, May 03, 2014, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Yes!
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

And Commanding Curve, Danza, Wicked Strong and Samraat.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

The Tin Man

Twas a foregone conclusion to those who weren't trying to deny what was before them ...

When people try SOOOOOO hard to dredge up any conceivable angle or question they can create about a particular horse ... you know that is the one ...

Focus should have been on loading up BEHIND him in trifectas or superfectas ...

I singled him on my trifecta and loaded up 6 horses behind him in 2nd and 3rd for a trifecta ... Unfortunately though ... I didn't have Commanding Curve ...

This was the only race that concerned me at all(as long as he stays healthy) for Cali Chrome ... solely because traffic issues were a concern because of the huge field. Once the race started though, Victor placed him perfectly ... So I knew he had it from about 3 furlongs in.

Preakness should be a breeze ... as will the Belmont ... CC doesn't have distance limitations(although some try to convince themselves he does) ... He's been geared down hard his last 5 races ... Distance will be no issue.

As long as he stays healthy, I believe the hard part is done and the Triple Crown will be his.

Only horse that I view as a threat at all is Social Inclusion ... If he dispatches him, he's home free. 

Man o Taz

I have to give peeptoad props for giving me Commanding Curve. Thanks peeptoad. Without your talking him up so much I would never paid as close attention to him.

peeptoad got the trifecta.

I got 4 of the top 5...I just did not believe Danza was going to show...and he did...I'm a believer now.

Here is the order of finish:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2050491-kentucky-derby-2014-results-winner-payouts-and-order-of-finish
Here is a look at the results from the 140th annual Run for the Roses:

2014 Kentucky Derby Results
Pos.   Post   Horse   Jockey   Trainer   Lengths
1   5   California Chrome   Victor Espinoza   Art Sherman   -
2   17   Commanding Curve   Shaun Bridgmohan   Dallas Stewart   1 3/4
3   4   Danza   Joe Bravo   Todd Pletcher   3
4   20   Wicked Strong   Rajiv Maragh   Jimmy Jerkens   5 3/4
5   6   Samraat   Jose Ortiz   Rick Violette Jr.   5 3/4
6   12   Dance With Fate   Corey Nakatani   Peter Eurton   6 1/4
7   19   Ride On Curlin   Calvin Borel   Billy Gowan   6 3/4
8   14   Medal Count   Robby Albarado   Dale Romans   7 1/2
9   13   Chitu   Martin Garcia   Bob Baffert   8
10   7   We Miss Artie   Javier Castellano   Todd Pletcher   8 1/4
11   8   General A Rod   Joel Rosario   Mike Maker   8 1/4
12   16   Intense Holiday   John Velazquez   Todd Pletcher   9
13   18   Candy Boy   Gary Stevens   John Sadler   11 3/4
14   3   Uncle Sigh   Irad Ortiz Jr.   Gary Contessa   15
15   15   Tapiture   Ricardo Santana Jr.   Steve Asmussen   16 1/4
16   2   Harry's Holiday   Corey Lanerie   Mike Maker   22 1/2
17   9   Vinceremos   Joe Rococo Jr.   Todd Pletcher   28
18   10   Wildcat Red   Luis Saez   Jose Garoffalo   28 1/4
19   1   Vicar's In Trouble   Rosie Napravnik   Mike Maker   38 1/4
11   Hoppertunity   Mike Smith   Bob Baffert   SCR
Source: NBC broadcast

Below is an overview of the payouts from the top three:

2014 Kentucky Derby Payouts
Horse   Win   Place   Show
California Chrome   $7.00   $5.60   $4.20
Commanding Curve   —   $31.80   $15.40
Danza   —   —   $6.00
Source: NBC broadcast

*$2 Exacta (5-17) paid $340.00; $1 Trifecta (5-17-4) paid $1,712.30; $1 Superfecta (5-17-4-20) paid $7,691.90.

Delamont

Quote from: The Tin Man on May 03, 2014, 07:56:58 PM
Twas a foregone conclusion to those who weren't trying to deny what was before them ...

When people try SOOOOOO hard to dredge up any conceivable angle or question they can create about a particular horse ... you know that is the one ...

I singled him on my trifecta and loaded up 6 horses behind him in 2nd and 3rd for a trifecta ... Unfortunately though ... I didn't have Commanding Curve ...

This was the only race that concerned me at all(as long as he stays healthy) for Cali Chrome ... solely because traffic issues were a concern because of the huge field. Once the race started though, Victor placed him perfectly ... So I knew he had it from about 3 furlongs in.

Preakness should be a breeze ... as will the Belmont ... CC doesn't have distance limitations(although some try to convince themselves he does) ... He's been geared down hard his last 5 races ... Distance will be no issue.

As long as he stays healthy, I believe the hard part is done and the Triple Crown will be his.

Only horse that I view as a threat at all is Social Inclusion ... If he dispatches him, he's home free.

I get that, and I also thought CC was the likely winner, but in such a big field anything can happen.  I watched the race chewing my knuckles all the way!

That and Wise Dan's stretch battle really stood out on Derby Day.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Man o Taz

Did anyone else think that this was not one of Johnny's better rides on Wise Dan?

serenassong

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 05, 2014, 06:56:19 AM
Did anyone else think that this was not one of Johnny's better rides on Wise Dan?

I don't know if it was that, or Wise Dan was just real keen to get on with it. He tried to reserve a bit, and he fought him hard.   That being said- If Wise Dan had lost that race, I'm sure quite a few people would have been all over Johnny V like white on rice for a bad ride.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

serenassong

Quote from: Delamont on May 05, 2014, 06:29:08 AM
I get that, and I also thought CC was the likely winner, but in such a big field anything can happen.  I watched the race chewing my knuckles all the way!

That and Wise Dan's stretch battle really stood out on Derby Day.

This^ . The Derby is notorious for the best horse getting in trouble on that one day.  The Grey Ghost of Sagamore only lost one race- and it stung the most for his fans.
Mythbusters

Senator L

Props to Peeptoad was "dying" for Commanding Curve
to get into the derby. I hope you cashed large :celebrate:

peeptoad

Quote from: Senator L on May 05, 2014, 02:21:17 PM
Props to Peeptoad was "dying" for Commanding Curve
to get into the derby. I hope you cashed large :celebrate:
:thumbsup:

Man o Taz

I would love to know what Churchill Downs is doing with their track that the horses in works were coming back with their eyes almost closed after dealing with the Churchill Downs surface.

Between the quirky surface, the idiotic focus on celebrities, and the fact that Churchill cares little for horsemen (see Mr. Porter), or history (see Mr. Turcotte) with the accommodations it is willing to provide its a wonder they are still in business.

And NBC buys into all the supposed pageantry as well with some of its silly coverage.

Add to that the fact that NBC has some of the most inept camera work cutting off most, if not all of the races including the Kentucky Derby before all horses have crossed the finish line.

Well, guess what NBC - folks may decide they'd rather watch the races online at Kentucky Derby.com rather than tuning in if you keep up this inane camera shots. Like they can't wait five more seconds for the rest of the field to cross the finish line. 

Delamont

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 06, 2014, 06:39:32 AM
I would love to know what Churchill Downs is doing with their track that the horses in works were coming back with their eyes almost closed after dealing with the Churchill Downs surface.

Between the quirky surface, the idiotic focus on celebrities, and the fact that Churchill cares little for horsemen (see Mr. Porter), or history (see Mr. Turcotte) with the accommodations it is willing to provide its a wonder they are still in business.

And NBC buys into all the supposed pageantry as well with some of its silly coverage.

Add to that the fact that NBC has some of the most inept camera work cutting off most, if not all of the races including the Kentucky Derby before all horses have crossed the finish line.

Well, guess what NBC - folks may decide they'd rather watch the races online at Kentucky Derby.com rather than tuning in if you keep up this inane camera shots. Like they can't wait five more seconds for the rest of the field to cross the finish line.

If I could have watched online, I would have.  NBC's coverage made me cringe.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Islandgirl45

Quote from: The Tin Man on May 03, 2014, 07:56:58 PM

On that note, today SI was loaded on a van headed to Pimlico.

Social Inclusion will van to Pimlico;
No Preakness decision yet for Ring Weekend
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi?id=44281

Social Inclusion brings plenty of speed to the Preakness
(Lauren King/Adam Coglianese Photography)

Social Inclusion has recovered sufficiently from the bruise in his right front foot that had kept him out of a Gulfstream Park stakes last Saturday to board a Pimlico-bound van Wednesday morning.

"We're leaving tomorrow morning around 10 (EDT) and get there early Thursday morning," Rontos Racing Stable Corp.'s Ron Sanchez said. "He'll jog tomorrow before he leaves."

After making a belated career debut on February 22, Social Inclusion won his first two races by a combined 17 1/2 lengths at Gulfstream Park before finishing third in the TwinSpires.com Wood Memorial at Aqueduct on April 5. The Manny Azpurua-trained colt lacked the necessary point total to make the Kentucky Derby field.

From the first crop of Pioneerof the Nile, Social Inclusion will enter the middle leg of the Triple Crown off a 42-day freshening . . .

Man o Taz

Quote from: Delamont on May 06, 2014, 09:27:45 AM

My wife was so frustrated that she had her I-pad on throughout and watched every race over on KentuckyDerby.com...

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on May 07, 2014, 12:42:01 PM

On that note, today SI was loaded on a van headed to Pimlico.

Social Inclusion will van to Pimlico;
No Preakness decision yet for Ring Weekend
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi?id=44281

Social Inclusion brings plenty of speed to the Preakness
(Lauren King/Adam Coglianese Photography)

Social Inclusion has recovered sufficiently from the bruise in his right front foot that had kept him out of a Gulfstream Park stakes last Saturday to board a Pimlico-bound van Wednesday morning.

"We're leaving tomorrow morning around 10 (EDT) and get there early Thursday morning," Rontos Racing Stable Corp.'s Ron Sanchez said. "He'll jog tomorrow before he leaves."

After making a belated career debut on February 22, Social Inclusion won his first two races by a combined 17 1/2 lengths at Gulfstream Park before finishing third in the TwinSpires.com Wood Memorial at Aqueduct on April 5. The Manny Azpurua-trained colt lacked the necessary point total to make the Kentucky Derby field.

From the first crop of Pioneerof the Nile, Social Inclusion will enter the middle leg of the Triple Crown off a 42-day freshening . . .

Pioneer is doing well...with Social Inclusion, Cairo Prince, and Vinceremos...

serenassong

Quote from: Delamont on May 06, 2014, 09:27:45 AM

I watched the coverage from 12-4 on NBCSC?  Had Laffit Pincay III, Randy Moss and Jerry Bailey. That was pretty good- but the regular network coverage was awful. I watched the Woodford Reserve- switched over to watch the racing at Talladega until around 6pm- just in time for "My Old Kentucky Home".
Mythbusters

Print
User actions