Winter Challenge Stakes (Entries)

Started by CA_Chrome, December 15, 2016, 04:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CA_Chrome

Here are the entries for the Winter Challenge. 10 entered, 2 also eligibles, and Chrome drew the 10 hole. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/218399/chrome-to-face-nine-in-winter-classic

peeptoad

I fully expect Chrome to run the table... if he somehow doesn't handle the track, then maybe Point Piper (and if that one manages to run a career best), but this really should be nothing more than a paid workout.

curtis

Quote from: peeptoad on December 15, 2016, 07:50:58 AM
I fully expect Chrome to run the table... if he somehow doesn't handle the track, then maybe Point Piper (and if that one manages to run a career best), but this really should be nothing more than a paid workout.
Point Piper is easily the second best horse in there. He ran, what is thought, to be the fastest ever two-turn dirt mile when he won the Longacres Mile up here at EMD in August. To run back to that kind of race though, he would need a pace meltdown and I don't see that happening. Unless Victor falls off while preening for cameras in the stretch, Chromie wins for fun.  Now I expect a percentage of the $2.10 everyone will collect on Chrome, unless you're able to find that winner on your own.😉

Man o Taz

Nice that they got a full field and only one maiden...
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

Quote from: curtis on December 15, 2016, 09:53:36 AM
Now I expect a percentage of the $2.10 everyone will collect on Chrome, unless you're able to find that winner on your own.😉

I'll spend $18 and bet $2 to show on "all others" just in case, guessing the jumpers will be out in full force emptying their Christmas Club accounts.

stark

Say what?
$1 Exacta / $1 Trifecta / $1 Superfecta (.10 Min.) / $1 Super High 5 /WIN ONLY

peeptoad

They putting the kibosh on you, stark!

I agree with curtis: Chrome would have to lose the jock in order to lose this race...

:chickendance:

stark

Quote from: peeptoad on December 16, 2016, 02:29:21 AM
They putting the kibosh on you, stark!

I agree with curtis: Chrome would have to lose the jock in order to lose this race...

I just REALLY don't like the whole idea, period.  If I had a million dollar prized possession there is no way I'd push my luck and ask for more, you can't convince me that greed is good Gordon.  If it wasn't for some cockamamie idea of Stronach, Chrome would be safely tucked away in his breeding shed right now.  As other trainers have been quoted about their horses....."I want to keep him in bubblewrap until the big race".  Well, a muddy strip at LosAl ain't no bubblewrap no matter the competition.

Catalina

Quote from: stark on December 16, 2016, 05:57:58 AM
I just REALLY don't like the whole idea, period.  If I had a million dollar prized possession there is no way I'd push my luck and ask for more, you can't convince me that greed is good Gordon.  If it wasn't for some cockamamie idea of Stronach, Chrome would be safely tucked away in his breeding shed right now.  As other trainers have been quoted about their horses....."I want to keep him in bubblewrap until the big race".  Well, a muddy strip at LosAl ain't no bubblewrap no matter the competition.

Ditto.

peeptoad

Generally speaking I don't disagree with you, but it won't be muddy.

curtis

I don't think he'll run unless the track is fast, so that's not a worry for me. My problem is here you have a track crying poverty and thus is trying to give away two Gr1 races and they're putting up 180k for what should be a betless exhibition?

stark

There is a three-day pick six carryover of $308,191 for Saturday's nine-race program.

stark

Congratulations, it looks like they got exactly what the Dr. ordered.

But I don't like holding my breath for minute forty.

CA_Chrome

Woohoo...won by 8 lengths and new track record. Also, Victor went back to the style of running that best suits Chrome.

stark

Any guess on what the Beyer number will be?

Print
User actions