Del Mar Pacific Classic

Started by stark, July 29, 2016, 10:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

Trainer Richard Baltas said that Imperative was probable to run in the Classic  for  a third straight year and for a third different rider. Norberto Arroyo Jr., has the mount following Kent Desormeaux in 2014 and Corey Nakatani in 2015.
https://www.dmtc.com/media/stable-news/stable-notes-august-14-2016-673

Zenyatta

I've attended the last 2 Pacific Classics and won both. This year, sorry Beholder, but I'm picking Chrome. His last race was just what he needed - some good competition to crank those screws a bit. It won't be a cakewalk, I think he'll win by about 1 1/2 lengths.

Beholder will be a good 2nd, Dortmund 3rd.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on August 15, 2016, 08:59:25 AM
Is Imperative not in.

I had forgot him.

But peeptoad set the record straight.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

honneerider

Hating the #1 post position for Chrome.

curtis

Quote from: honneerider on August 16, 2016, 06:55:42 PM
Hating the #1 post position for Chrome.
I am too. I like Beholder to win anyway but now we'll be hearing until the Breeder's Cup, "Well, if he had drawn outside......"

Man o Taz

If that ends up being the explanation for his performance and it could be a valid one, but it would certainly also demonstrate that like some other horses he needs a set up in order to be at his best.

Then again, if he wins the race he could show he has matured like Victor said he had earlier in the year and can run well on the inside now being a much more professional horse.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

1. California Chrome (Victor Espinoza) 8-5
2. Hoppertunity (Flavien Prat) 8-1
3. War Story (Ricardo Mejias) 30-1
4. Hard Aces (Santiago Gonzalez) 15-1
5. Win The Space (Joe Talamo) 15-1
6. Imperative (Norberto Arroyo, Jr.) 20-1
7. Beholder (Gary Stevens) 5-2
8. Dortmund (Rafael Bejarano) 3-1
9. Dalmore (Kent Desormeaux) 20-1

stark

Quote from: peeptoad on August 17, 2016, 08:56:45 AM
1. California Chrome (Victor Espinoza) 8-5
2. Hoppertunity (Flavien Prat) 8-1
3. War Story (Ricardo Mejias) 30-1
4. Hard Aces (Santiago Gonzalez) 15-1
5. Win The Space (Joe Talamo) 15-1
6. Imperative (Norberto Arroyo, Jr.) 20-1
7. Beholder (Gary Stevens) 5-2
8. Dortmund (Rafael Bejarano) 3-1
9. Dalmore (Kent Desormeaux) 20-1

Since I think it's a logical coin-flip between the top 3 who gets the best trip, guess I'll go with Dortmund if he'll be the highest price!

honneerider

I almost forgot that Chrome did win the Dubai World Cup from the one hole.

stark

Quote from: honneerider on August 17, 2016, 12:51:06 PM

he won without a saddle, but wasn't it from the #10 stall?

honneerider

You are correct. Don't know what I was thinking. Remember living for that race!
Dumb reply by me

CA_Chrome

Quote from: honneerider on August 17, 2016, 12:51:06 PM

Actually, you were nearly right. Chrome won from the 1 hole in Dubai, but it was in the race he ran prior to the World Cup. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD3CmUlZ57U Chrome tends to break quickly, but was a little slow (for him) coming out of the gate in that race. But it gives a preview of what Victor will try to do in the Pacific Classic if he can manage it.

honneerider

Thank you! Of course!

peeptoad

probably:

Beholder
Hoppertunity
CA Chrome/Win the Space/Dortmund

Beholder is definitely my top pick. I think Chrome might beat her, but I'll play against him as the more likely chalk from the undesirable post and off a monster effort first back. I'm not sold on Dortmund really wanting 10F against some of these, although there's no reason why he can't win I suppose. Win the Space may provide some value along with Hopper for bottom slots. The former has some improving to do, but the distance should be okay and the price will certainly be right. Same with ol' Hopper: he's proven in the 3rd/4th spot against this type of field, he could move up slightly with a better pace scenario and if one of the top 3 has an off day or a bad trip.

Man o Taz

TVG Pacific Classic Preview From Youtube
https://youtu.be/IlCQFrI0rmI

Print
User actions