Del Mar Pacific Classic

Started by stark, July 29, 2016, 10:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Melatonin came down with a temperature this week that prevented trainer David Hofmans from working him as scheduled Friday morning at Del Mar, while possibly jeopardizing his status for the Grade 1 Pacific Classic on Aug. 20.

Winner of the Santa Anita Handicap and Gold Cup at Santa Anita, Melatonin has not been ruled out of the Pacific Classic yet. "We have time," Hofmans said Friday, adding that he needs to "get three works into him" in order to take on California Chrome and possibly Beholder in the $1 million Pacific Classic.

Although he has not worked since winning the Gold Cup on June 22, Melatonin does not typically require an extensive workout pattern to prepare for a race. He has been training regularly, but the Friday workout would have been his first breeze in preparation for the Pacific Classic in three weeks.

Catalina

Then again, if he has been running a temperature, you would think he'd probably not be at the top of his game.

Zenyatta

Melatonin is such an underrated horse. He's been so consistent, running race after race we other triple digit Beyers.  It would be a shame to see him not run.

Dusty

Soooo - will Beholder run ..or not??? I really was surprised that Stellar Wind won - happy  but surprised
May they run with the wind

curtis

Quote from: Dusty on July 30, 2016, 10:15:36 PM
Soooo - will Beholder run ..or not??? I really was surprised that Stellar Wind won - happy  but surprised
I don't think so. I think Mandella will wait a week to decide for sure but in the end will opt out. As he said things needed to be perfect. She ran a faster race, BSF-wise, this year but it was also much more stressful and that's the key. It also wouldn't shock me to hear that Dortmund ends up going to the Woodward. Except for having to ship, I think it's a better fit and it gives him more time to avoid the dreaded bounce.

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dusty on July 30, 2016, 10:15:36 PM

Not, I think her next start will be in the Zenyatta, where she'll probably run against Stellar Windows again. I'd like to see Beholder in the BC Dirt Mile, so she can be the first horse in BC history to win 3 different races.

Man o Taz

Wow, it would be a shame if she missed the race, but I understand that this could have taken a lot out of her.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on August 01, 2016, 02:48:12 PM
Wow, it would be a shame if she missed the race, but I understand that this could have taken a lot out of her.
I'll be there, it would be a shame but I would understand it.  Mandella is pretty conservative.  I was almost shocked when he entered Beholder last year, but after thinking about it, it was pretty clear that Bayern wasn't the same horse as he was when he won the BC Classic and since the Mandella trained Catch A Flight won the San Diego, he had a very good read on the main competition.  Beholder was at her absolute peak and it made a lot of sense as only the 10f was a question.  An in-form Chrome--I'm still not convinced that Dortmund is going, after all he is nominated to for the Longacres Mile  ;)--will be to be really tough but if she were to repeat last year's race she could beat him, however she would have to run her eyeballs out.  Now where that would leave her going forward is the question.  Once a mare starts to sour, they are really tough to turn around.  I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

Man o Taz

As always, thanks for the insights. It is a tough question. Having Mandela as her trainer is a good thing because we know if she is entered she will be ready to run.

And I agree. She could beat Chrome with her performance last year. Though, as you suggest, it would likely be a much tougher race for her and after two tough races what would that mean for the rest of the year. So maybe you skip it and point to the BC Classic like Zenyatta's connections did hoping to have a horse at the top of her game rather than one that may not be.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on August 03, 2016, 07:52:47 AM
As always, thanks for the insights. It is a tough question. Having Mandela as her trainer is a good thing because we know if she is entered she will be ready to run.

And I agree. She could beat Chrome with her performance last year. Though, as you suggest, it would likely be a much tougher race for her and after two tough races what would that mean for the rest of the year. So maybe you skip it and point to the BC Classic like Zenyatta's connections did hoping to have a horse at the top of her game rather than one that may not be.
The other option is to run in the Pacific Classic and if she wins or loses narrowly, skip the Zenyatta and then go to which ever BC race looks most likely.  You're right in that Mandella won't put her in unless he thinks she's got a strong chance to win.

BaroqueAgain1

Man o Taz

Too, too bad.

This should not affect him for the BC Classic if he can fully recover.

He is a remarkable horse being able to win the Gold Cup off a long lay off.

Get well, Mel.

Mandela waiting on Beholder
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/03/richard-mandella-beholder-del-mar-california/

stark

Who is currently "confirmed" to be pointing for this race?

curtis

Quote from: stark on August 05, 2016, 11:34:11 AM
Who is currently "confirmed" to be pointing for this race?
California Chrome and Hard Aces. Hoppertunity is reportedly training for it. On the EMD press release announcing the LGA Mile nominees, it was noted that Baffert nominated Dortmund but he was expected instead to go in the Pacific Classic, although I've never seen a quote from Baffert himself. I was hoping Richie Baltas would nominate Imperative to the LGA Mile, but he didn't. Unless there is an issue with him, he probably will also go in the PC.

CA_Chrome

Article from the Paulick Report today about possible entries for the Pacific Classic: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/breeders-cup/pacific-classic-field-coming/

California Chrome
Dortmund
Beholder
Win the Space
War Story
Dalmore
Hard Aces
Hoppertunity
Cyrus Alexander

Chrome breezed a half in :47 4/5 this morning at Los Alamitos. He's scheduled to have another breeze next Sunday, then ship to Del Mar on the 15th. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/213983/california-chrome-back-to-work-at-los-al

Video of Chrome's work today, includes comments from Art Sherman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc25N8Yhp4k

DRF workout info shows that Dortmund worked on Aug. 1 going a half in :48 flat at Del Mar. I thought the news after the San Diego Hcp was that he shipped back to Los Al, but apparently not. Here's the line from the DRF workout sheet for him: Dortmund    08/01/2016     DMR     4F     :48.00     Dirt     Fast     H

Print
User actions