Started by Man o Taz, June 19, 2014, 07:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Possible Entries:

Bayern
Candy Boy
Can The Man
Shared Belief
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

This will be the first major race for thoroughbreds at Los Alamitos, it should be interesting, I hope it gets a representative field.  Just a note, the race is to be contested at 9 furlongs just as the Swaps Stakes--the race it is replacing on the calendar--had been in recent years.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on June 19, 2014, 11:39:05 AM
This will be the first major race for thoroughbreds at Los Alamitos, it should be interesting, I hope it gets a representative field.  Just a note, the race is to be contested at 9 furlongs just as the Swaps Stakes--the race it is replacing on the calendar--had been in recent years.

Thanks - somewhere I was reading it was 8.5 furlongs.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dusty

The place looks great and all of the improvements added - make it look like - well - NOT Los Al = I am impressed which I never thought I would be - I am now in the corner of let's give them a chance! oh yes - and the food is GOOD!!!!
May they run with the wind

Man o Taz

We are so glad we got to visit Los Alamitos when we visited Socal last December.

Our friends who are horse people were laughing when we told them our itinerary for the Sunday before we left...

Morning works at Hollywood Park
Thoroughbred racing at Hollywood Park
Quarter horse racing at Los Alamitos

Man o Taz

Well, it looks like Shared Belief and Candy Boy are headed there...

And Bayern, Chitu or Hoppertunity may be going as well.

But the big news out of the attached link is that California Chrome's last two races of the year are planned to be the Pacific Classic at Del Mar and the BC Classic.
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Los_Alamitos_Derby_to_come_in_with_a_bang_123

We knew one of them...but not the other.

I know the PC will be a big ask for the colt - featuring against older horses for the first time at 10 furlongs without a prep race - but he has run and won over the service before notching his first stakes win in the Graduation Stakes there last year.

Woody Stephens 2nd place finisher Top Fortitude may join the others in the race. We'll see if the top two finishers (Bayern was first) in the Woody Stephens enter the race - or if it will another Baffert horse other than Can The Man. 

The Tin Man

As far as Cali Chrome, Taz ...

Don't believe everything you read ...

It will be 2 races though.  ;)

Man o Taz

Will do. Thanks.

Are you all getting set for the Los Alamitos Derby?

It would be great if Chrome could lead the post parade, but I understand he needs his rest.

The Tin Man

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 01, 2014, 10:48:03 AM
Will do. Thanks.

Are you all getting set for the Los Alamitos Derby?

It would be great if Chrome could lead the post parade, but I understand he needs his rest.

Yep! I'll be there. We're having lunch with Steve, Carolyn and Art. So I may be privy to share more then.

What I am able to share right now is they're just doing one prep(to be decided ... but in September) and Junior will be entered in 3 Breeders Cup races. The one he enters will likely have Tonalist in it.
They want to turn the tables on him.  ;)

Japan and Dubai are pressuring them BIG TIME to run there ... but as of now, they're intent on putting the horse first ... so thankfully, they're not planning to head to either of those locales. 

Japan has told them that CC is HUGELY popular there evidently.

The Tin Man

As far as leading the post parade for the Los Alamitos Derby? That would be cool, but Junior is vacationing ... so unfortunately it's not gonna happen. :(

Del Mar has a celebration planned for him though. Not sure if he'll physically be there or not though.

Man o Taz

Great to see CC getting all the notoriety that he is out West and even in the Far East.

Wish we could be a part of it!

The Tin Man

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 01, 2014, 12:42:08 PM
Great to see CC getting all the notoriety that he is out West and even in the Far East.

Wish we could be a part of it!

There's always the Breeders Cup!  ;)

Dusty

Quote from: The Tin Man on July 01, 2014, 11:40:13 AM
Yep! I'll be there. We're having lunch with Steve, Carolyn and Art. So I may be privy to share more then.

What I am able to share right now is they're just doing one prep(to be decided ... but in September) and Junior will be entered in 3 Breeders Cup races. The one he enters will likely have Tonalist in it.
They want to turn the tables on him.  ;)

Japan and Dubai are pressuring them BIG TIME to run there ... but as of now, they're intent on putting the horse first ... so thankfully, they're not planning to head to either of those locales. 

Japan has told them that CC is HUGELY popular there evidently.

I am sooooo jealous - and Japan does love him - I have several friends there who are in the CHROME ZONE BIG Time - they also are doing research on his DADDY = I am trying to get to opening day = I really want to see the new track
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

Looks like Mike Smith will ride Shared Belief and the projected field will be short: Can the Man, Candy Boy, Friendswith K Mill, Top Fortitude, and Tonito M, in addition to SB.

Print
User actions