Stephen Foster June 18th

Started by stark, June 10, 2016, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Reports are that Mike Smith is giving up the Foster mount on Effinex to Gary Stevens.

Apparently Smith is committed to ride at Santa Anita that day in the G2 Summertime Oaks.

Welcome back SONGBIRD

Man o Taz

Wow. Poor Effinex. I just mean to get second choice. Not that Gary is not an excellent second choice. It is actually a very smart move by Jimmy Jerkens knowing the BC Classic is going to be at Santa Anita this year, he is looking West for a jockey replacement.

Lucky Songbird.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

I know weight doesn't matter to some, but they continue to report on it.....

Effinex, 122
Maj Harbor, 118
Eagle, 117
Int'l Star, 116
El Kabeir, 115
Mobile Bay, 115

Man o Taz

Small, but decent field. We shall see if Effinex can carry weight.

He was top weight in the Oaklawn Handicap at 121, but only carried 3 more than the 2nd place finisher and 8 more than the lowest horse.

This time he only carries 7 more than the lowest weighted horse.

In the Santa Anita Handicap he carried 123, 8 more than the 1st place horse Melatonin and 5 more than the 2nd place finisher.

In the Clark he carried 122 9 more than the 3rd place horse, but only 1 more than the 2nd place horse. 

In the BC Classic he carried 126,  4 more than the winner.

So I do not see the weight being any issue for him here unless it happens to be a particularly hot and humid day.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

BaroqueAgain1

Be glad the Foster isn't being run at Santa Anita...forecasts are predicting temps over 100 in much of the LA basin this weekend.  :(

Man o Taz

Whoa. Isn't Songbird running this weekend?

BaroqueAgain1

Yep.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212514/songbird-back-for-summertime-oaks
I've noticed that TVG's talking heads haven't even mentioned the Foster. Things must be pretty hostile between Betfair and CDI if such an important stakes race isn't being handicapped on TVG.  ???

stark

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 15, 2016, 08:39:25 AM
Be glad the Foster isn't being run at Santa Anita...forecasts are predicting temps over 100 in much of the LA basin this weekend.  :(

SANTA ANITA ANNOUNCES 12 NOON FIRST POST SUNDAY DUE TO FORECAST OF UNUSUALLY HIGH TEMPS http://www.santaanita.com/press-releases/santa-anita-park-announces-12-noon-first-post-time-on-sunday-due-to-forecast-of-unusually-high-temperatures/#.V2MK0_f05lM.twitter ...

peeptoad

Effinex is going to be hard-pressed to lose this one. I'm trying to make a case for a couple of others, but it's tough going. Bradester is interesting, but the distance is beyond his best and with the other pace in here I don't think he'll hang around. Eagle and Majestic Harbor look okay on paper, but would need to step it up here to win. Are You Kidding looks like the only reasonable price, but again, he's got to withstand the pace and he's only had one career dirt race prior to this. Tall order.

stark

1   International Star (NY)      4/C   L   F Geroux   116   M J Maker   6/1
2   Bradester (KY)      6/H   L   J Bravo   116   E Kenneally   5/1
3   Effinex (NY)      5/H   L   G L Stevens   122   J A Jerkens   1/1
4   Majestic Harbor (KY)      8/H   L   C J Lanerie   118   P J McGee   5/1
5   El Kabeir (FL)      4/C   L   R Santana, Jr.   115   J P Terranova, II   12/1
6   Are You Kidding Me (KY)      6/H   L   J R Leparoux   118   R L Attfield   10/1
7   Eagle (KY)      4/C   L   B J Hernandez, Jr.   117   N J Howard   6/1

The only real question mark is dirt.  JuLep will have involved from the getgo and he can finish and he's 10-1, areyoukiddingme!?

peeptoad

Quote from: stark on June 17, 2016, 07:05:47 AM
1   International Star (NY)      4/C   L   F Geroux   116   M J Maker   6/1
2   Bradester (KY)      6/H   L   J Bravo   116   E Kenneally   5/1
3   Effinex (NY)      5/H   L   G L Stevens   122   J A Jerkens   1/1
4   Majestic Harbor (KY)      8/H   L   C J Lanerie   118   P J McGee   5/1
5   El Kabeir (FL)      4/C   L   R Santana, Jr.   115   J P Terranova, II   12/1
6   Are You Kidding Me (KY)      6/H   L   J R Leparoux   118   R L Attfield   10/1
7   Eagle (KY)      4/C   L   B J Hernandez, Jr.   117   N J Howard   6/1

The only real question mark is dirt.  JuLep will have involved from the getgo and he can finish and he's 10-1, areyoukiddingme!?

Yep. Likely why he is my pick here, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see Effinex roll either.

Zenyatta

It's not a star-studded field, but for a short field highly competitive, which makes for a good betting race. What a head scratcher.

If I threw caution to the wind, I'd go with Majestic Harbor or Bradester, but I am picking Eagle. The other two can complete a trifecta or boxed exacta.

Raven

I'm going with Majestic Harbor with Eagle for second
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Dusty

Would not surprise me if El Kabeir gets a piece
May they run with the wind

Zenyatta

Quote from: Zenyatta on June 18, 2016, 10:52:44 AM
It's not a star-studded field, but for a short field highly competitive, which makes for a good betting race. What a head scratcher.

If I threw caution to the wind, I'd go with Majestic Harbor or Bradester, but I am picking Eagle. The other two can complete a trifecta or boxed exacta.

LOL, I got the trifecta. Poor Eagle, he finished well but just didn't get there.

Print
User actions