The massively overrated Game On Dude. . ..

Started by Dave in TJ Mex, November 02, 2013, 05:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: peeptoad on November 07, 2013, 04:21:20 AM
Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 07, 2013, 12:15:14 AM
Any or all of these explanations --- excuses? --- may be valid.

What they show is that GOD is nowhere as consistent, solid, or tough-minded as lots of us thought he was.

...not sure how you can argue that he's not consistent. If nothing else at all he has been consistent this year, up until the BC that is. You can argue that he may not have been consistent if he had shipped more often, etc. but as it stands he is the most consistent of all the older main track males.

Seemingly so, Peeptoad.

However, don't his completely embarrassing,  non-competitive failures in the biggest races against the best competition suggest that running all year in SoCal, Game On Dude consistently caught weak fields and the perfect circumstances for his best efforts?

He IS real consistent --- and a really good horse --- when facing inferior competition, and especially when he is the lone speed.

Wonder how he will do next year if opposing trainers consistently enter "rabbits" to press him on the front end.

Vic in Chicago

What they show is that GOD is nowhere as consistent, solid, or tough-minded as lots of us thought he was.

Dave...please leave your personal religious beliefs out of this.  This is a horse-racing board.   :D
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Man o Taz

duplicate post
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 07, 2013, 01:10:48 PM

Dave...please leave your personal religious beliefs out of this.  This is a horse-racing board.   :D

Given my advanced age and the fact I will one day meet my maker, I hope that God, the creator of the Universe, does not monitor my posts on this Board!   :hug:

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 07, 2013, 05:11:32 PM

Given my advanced age and the fact I will one day meet my maker, I hope that God, the creator of the Universe, does not monitor my posts on this Board!   :hug:

SHE is everywhere, much like the Board administrators.   8)

Man o Taz

If God does happen to monitor our posts, I am certain she has a sense of humor.

Just to carry that a step further...if you enjoy The Daily Show you may also enjoy his former head writer and producer David Javerbaum's The Tweet of God...following up on his The Last Testament A Memoir by God.

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 08, 2013, 06:18:31 AM

SHE is everywhere, much like the Board administrators.   8)

My faith in the existence of GOD was badly shaken after Zenyatta lost her last race to Blame in the BCC.

How could a compassionate GOD allow that to happen?   :banghead:

Man o Taz

God was sharing the wealth.

And he had the last laugh on Blame by giving Zenyatta Horse of the Year.

Ballerina

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 08, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
God was sharing the wealth.

And he had the last laugh on Blame by giving Zenyatta Horse of the Year.

God had absolutely nothing to do with it. 
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Kennedy

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 07, 2013, 11:59:32 AM
However, don't his completely embarrassing,  non-competitive failures in the biggest races against the best competition suggest that running all year in SoCal, Game On Dude consistently caught weak fields and the perfect circumstances for his best efforts?

He IS real consistent --- and a really good horse --- when facing inferior competition, and especially when he is the lone speed.

Wonder how he will do next year if opposing trainers consistently enter "rabbits" to press him on the front end.

Game on Dude didn't spend the entire season in California. He took on Ron the Greek in the Charles Town Classic. He also finished second in the 2011 BC Classic at Churchill.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Kennedy on November 08, 2013, 11:24:52 AM
Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 07, 2013, 11:59:32 AM

Game on Dude didn't spend the entire season in California. He took on Ron the Greek in the Charles Town Classic. He also finished second in the 2011 BC Classic at Churchill.

Thanks for the correction as to the Charles Town Classic.

And although GOD ran a really good race in the 2011 BCC (although he did cough up a big lead in the stretch, he still ran really well, IMO), the connections immediately dumped Chantal Sutherland after that race.

Guess she wasn't the problem in the BCC!

Man o Taz

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 08, 2013, 01:53:13 PM

And although GOD ran a really good race in the 2011 BCC (although he did cough up a big lead in the stretch, he still ran really well, IMO), the connections immediately dumped Chantal Sutherland after that race.

Actually, it is my understanding that they did not switch jockeys on Game On Dude (from Chantal Sutherland to Rafael Bejarano) until after the 2012 Pacific Classic. Mr. Bejarano rode him in the first incarnation of the Awesome Again in 2012. Game On Dude fell victim to the peanut butter slop of Churchill Downs in the 2011 version of the BC Classic. Ms. Sutherland did nothing wrong in that race. In fact, she retains the best performance by GOD in a BC Classic.

Thus, she was not the problem in the BCC.

And in 2012 he participated in the Dubai World Cup (12), in 2011 he also participated in the Charles Town Classic (2), and the Lone Star Park Handicap (3), and in 2010 he was in two maiden races placing (2,1) at Gulfstream Park, the Florida Derby (7), Churchill Downs for the Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (5), the Lone Star Park Derby (1), and the Belmont Stakes (4). So to add to your point - he has traveled outside of California quite a bit.

Examining this resume, 40% of his races have been run outside the state of California.

Kennedy

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 13, 2013, 08:14:03 AM
And in 2012 he participated in the Dubai World Cup (12), in 2011 he also participated in the Charles Town Classic (2), and the Lone Star Park Handicap (3), and in 2010 he was in two maiden races placing (2,1) at Gulfstream Park, the Florida Derby (7), Churchill Downs for the Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (5), the Lone Star Park Derby (1), and the Belmont Stakes (4). So to add to your point - he has traveled outside of California quite a bit.

Examining this resume, 40% of his races have been run outside the state of California.

But in the early part of his career he clearly wasn't the horse he is today. He has improved significantly over what he was as a 3yo. So it is difficult to compare his early races. One might actually say that he did not become a really good horse until he started running in Cal on a regular basis.

FT-TBC-TRF

Quote from: Kennedy on November 13, 2013, 10:47:56 AM

But in the early part of his career he clearly wasn't the horse he is today. He has improved significantly over what he was as a 3yo. So it is difficult to compare his early races. One might actually say that he did not become a really good horse until he started running in Cal on a regular basis.

......against sub par competition.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 08, 2013, 01:53:13 PM

Actually, it is my understanding that they did not switch jockeys on Game On Dude (from Chantal Sutherland to Rafael Bejarano) until after the 2012 Pacific Classic. Mr. Bejarano rode him in the first incarnation of the Awesome Again in 2012. Game On Dude fell victim to the peanut butter slop of Churchill Downs in the 2011 version of the BC Classic. Ms. Sutherland did nothing wrong in that race. In fact, she retains the best performance by GOD in a BC Classic.

Thus, she was not the problem in the BCC.

Man O Taz, you were right.  Chantal wasn't dumped until after that 2012 Pacific Classic.

Thanks for the correction!   :forruffian:

Print
User actions