Breeders' Cup Picks

Started by Zenyatta, October 24, 2013, 07:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacks1

The Distaff was kinda sad. I bet that's the last we see of Royal Delta and that's too bad. She is such a great mare and I wanted to see her win 3 in a row like Goldikova.
I was betting on the Princess too - the stumble out of the gate was bad but still - dead last? Wow, I'm devastated.  :(
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Zenyatta

Ecstatic about Goldencents and Beholder. My Derby horse wins the Dirt Mile.  Gotta love it.

jjacks1

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 01, 2013, 05:01:27 PM
Ecstatic about Goldencents and Beholder. My Derby horse wins the Dirt Mile.  Gotta love it.

Then I'll be happy for you!  :happy:

BaroqueAgain1

I think we'll see the Princess next year, and she should do fine...as long as she avoids Santa Anita. ;)
  Royal Delta deserves a happy retirement...and I think she made it clear today (and probably also in the Beldame) that she's not very interested in this whole running-around-in-a-circle-like-your-tail's-on-fire anymore.

jjacks1

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on November 01, 2013, 05:48:47 PM
  I think we'll see the Princess next year, and she should do fine...as long as she avoids Santa Anita. ;)
  Royal Delta deserves a happy retirement...and I think she made it clear today (and probably also in the Beldame) that she's not very interested in this whole running-around-in-a-circle-like-your-tail's-on-fire anymore.

I quite agree!  :) Will miss Royal Delta though - what an absolute star! Happy retirement to her tho - I'm assuming thats what they will do.

The Tin Man

Twas an unusually good day for me today!

3 winners ...

Better Bet at 47-1

London Bridge at 9-1 :chickendance:

So Big Is Better at 11-1

Hope tomorrow is even remotely similar!

Zenyatta

I watched the HRTV show "Against the Odds" where the 2 hosts, one Brad Free, picked the BC horses today. They skunked. Neither picked a single one.

I mean, even *I* picked a couple of them. And for Free to pick a frontrunner in the Juv Fillies Turf was silly. Someone quoted a stat last weekend on HRTV where not one frontrunner had one on that turf course all season. Why would anyone pick against a ridiculous bias like that? I didn't believe it when I heard it but given what I've seen during this meet, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. And we saw it today too.

The disappointment of the day was My Conquestadory finishing out of the money.

Flintknapper

I stunk up today except for Testa Rossi and Beholder. Maybe I can do better tomorrow.

Juvenile Fillies: Sweet Reason, She's a Tiger and Untapable
F&M Turf: Laughing and Marketing Mix
F&M Sprint: Sweet Lulu
Turf Sprint: Mizdirection and Caracortado
Juvenile: Havana
Turf: The Fugue, Little Mike, Point of Entry
Sprint: Justin Phillip and Secret Circle
Mile: Wise Dan
Classic: Palace Malice, Game On Dude, Paynter

The Tin Man

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 01, 2013, 06:34:46 PM
I watched the HRTV show "Against the Odds" where the 2 hosts, one Brad Free, picked the BC horses today. They skunked. Neither picked a single one.

I mean, even *I* picked a couple of them. And for Free to pick a frontrunner in the Juv Fillies Turf was silly. Someone quoted a state last weekend on HRTV where not one frontrunner had one on that turf course all season. Why would anyone pick against a ridiculous bias like that? I didn't believe it when I heard it but given what I've seen during this meet, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. And we saw it today too.

The disappointment of the day was My Conquestadory finishing out of the money.

Take some solace that its not like the horse got smoked ... 4th in a BC race isn't too shabby!  :)

As far as Free? No surprise ... they usually don't pick any better than the common man.

The Tin Man

Quote from: Flintknapper on November 01, 2013, 06:41:17 PM
I stunk up today except for Testa Rossi and Beholder. Maybe I can do better tomorrow.

Juvenile Fillies: Sweet Reason, She's a Tiger and Untapable
F&M Turf: Laughing and Marketing Mix
F&M Sprint: Sweet Lulu
Turf Sprint: Mizdirection and Caracortado
Juvenile: Havana
Turf: The Fugue, Little Mike, Point of Entry
Sprint: Justin Phillip and Secret Circle
Mile: Wise Dan
Classic: Palace Malice, Game On Dude, Paynter

I had Tests Rossi too ... but unfortunately just to win and in exacts with Clenor ... no dinero for that.

The Tin Man

I'm ALL OVER No Jet Lag and He Be Fire N Ice tomorrow!

They're the 2 I've had my eye on out of the whole event. If they're double figure odds, I'm on them!

jjacks1

You guys didn't stink it up as bad as I did!  :lmao: I was SO totally hopeless today that I think I'll throw out all my picks for tomorrow and just throw darts. Has to be a better percentage in that!  :lmao:

Dave in TJ Mex

As for Royal Delta and Princess of Sylmar's "flops" today, any moment now, we will likely get the obligatory "she didn't handle the track" excuse from their trainers.

Some times, even really good horses just don't have it.   Why must there always be an "excuse" from the connections.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Flanders on November 01, 2013, 04:10:14 PM
The Distaff is so hard for me to pick.  My head tells me Beholder will win.  But my heart wants 3/4 of the field.  ;)

Nice pick.

Hope you supported your view at the betting windows with enthusiasm     :rhrse:

peeptoad

Juvenile Fillies
#1 Artemis Agrotera- 2 turns the question, but has early speed, and has reportedly looked great in the mornings training for this.
#7 Untapable- 2 turn win at G2 level, needs slight improvement, hopefully can get a nice stalking trip
#8 Scandalous Act- the longshot choice. Distance no problem, and is coming off the deeper CRC course. Class level the main question.
(will still use Sweet Reason in here, but she is not among my top 3 considering the likely price and her late running style)

FM Turf
#2 Romantica- loving that overseas firm turf form. Class level is there, distance is ideal.
#6 Marketing Mix- solid, honest mare should put in a good run
#7 Laughing- may get an ideal pace setup- the distance is her absolute limit
(also like Dank and Tiz Flirtatious- not quite sure how I am going to bet this one yet)

FM Sprint
#12 Sweet Lulu- love her on the cutback and may get a pace advantage from the 12-hole
#7 Summer Applause- another running on the cutback. Has won at the distance; possibly better on synth, but worth a chance imo.
#11 Groupie Doll- not in the same form as last year, but still probably the one to beat
(I like Book Review, but her ceiling is pretty clear & she will have to fire against a possible speed bias. Dance To Bristol may be over the top, but can't ignore her completely. Groupie Doll will likely get hammered- I think this is pretty wide open this year actually)

Turf Sprint
#6 Boat Trip- solid off good 2nd in Eddie D
#7 Tightend Touchdown- longshot could surprise
#12 Mizdirection- reigning queen comes of a shorter layoff than last year. Impeccable record on the course.
(The most wide open race on the card imo. I also like Unbridleds Note, Chips All In, and Spring to the Sky at a price)

Juvenile
#12 Diamond Bachelor- price should be decent and he has won stakes around 2 turns. He's got early speed; can't see why he wouldn't run on dirt
#13 Havana- good horse, bad price
#11 Medal Count- picks up the pieces?
(aside from 2003 this is one of the weaker renditions of this race in recent memory, though my memory is probably selective. May also use Mexikoma and Smartys Echo).

Turf
#7 The Fugue- should be the clear choice
#4 Little Mike- if they let him go early watch out. He seems to be over the Dubai debacle.
#8 Point of Entry- layoff is the question
(Big Blue Kitten and Indy Point are the others to consider imo)

Sprint
#7 Private Zone- speed of the speed?
#3 Gentlemens Bet- like the synth- dirt angle and he's been training very well for this
#6 Bahamian Squall- can't put my finger on it, but a mouse says to use this one. He seems to hang around at the end of most races
(Secret Circle is interesting coming off one prep, but could be good enough. Justin Philip is a more obvious alternative, but not sure I trust him at this track)

Mile
#8 Wise Dan- reigning HOY is still the best on paper.
#1 No Jet Lag- he and 'Ice both have nice closing kicks. Not the strongest contingent of Euros shipped for this. Could be a rare NA sweep.
#7 He Be Fire n Ice
(also consider Obviously if he bounces back and Silentio is a fairly consistent type under the conditions)

Classic
#9 Game On Dude- he either wins or is nowhere (most likely). If he runs his race all others are running for second
#5 Declaration of War- I actually think this horse has a huge chance if he handles the dirt.
#8 Palace Malice- the best of the 3yos, can stalk if he breaks well. Should be there at the end
(this is a tough race to handicap imo this year- I also plan on using Mucho Macho Man and Fort Larned)

Print
User actions