Comments by David Grening, odds by Mike Watchmaker

Klimt   Bob Baffert   94-82-75   7-2   FrontRunner, SA, Oct. 1   
West Coast division leader has gotten better with every start

Not This Time   Dale Romans   86-83-63   9-2   BC Juvenile, SA, Nov. 5   
Followed up dominant maiden win with eye-catching victory in G3 Iroquois

Favorable Outcome   Chad Brown   88   6-1   Undecided   
Won debut by six lengths in fast time; should stretch out

Practical Joke   Chad Brown   85-83   8-1   Undecided   
Very professional and gritty effort in winning Hopeful; same connections as Favorable Outcome

Theory   Todd Pletcher   85   8-1   Undecided   
Impressive maiden winner back in training after thought to be done for year

Classic Empire   Mark Casse   xx-87-55   10-1   Breeders' Futurity, KEE, Oct. 8   
Will wear blinkers after wheeling, unseating rider at start of Hopeful

Syndergaard   Todd Pletcher   90-86   10-1   Champagne, BEL, Oct. 8   
Has looked good beating N.Y.-breds sprinting; two turns could be an issue

Royal Copy   D. Wayne Lukas   84-72-68   15-1   Breeders' Futurity, KEE, Oct. 8   
Rider lost whip in late stages of G1 Hopeful though not sure it made a difference

Straight Fire   Keith Desormeaux   85-98-87   15-1   FrontRunner, SA, Oct. 1   
Must learn to harness his speed if able to successfully stretch out

Three Rules   Jose Pinchin   74-94-74   15-1   In Reality, GP, Oct. 1   
Has gone 4 for 4 at Gulfstream, including debut win over subsquent G2 winner Gunnevera

AE: Big Gray Rocket, Gunnevara, Ooper Wallah, Tip Tap Tapizar

curtis

So if Pletcher gives bute to Syndergaard, is it because he's Thor?

Zenyatta

How about Juvenile Fillies and the 2 Juvenile Turf races?

peeptoad

I am completely underwhelmed by both the juvenile fillies and colts this year.... unless Gormley or someone else just runs off then I'll remain uninspired. Probably not betting any juvie race this year. Wish they'd just have one BC race for dirt and turf, both at a mile and coed.... and while we're at it let's eliminate the Dirt MIle too.  ;)

OK, morning rant is over.  :chickendance:

stark

ARCADIA, Calif. – The fleet 2-year-old Straight Fire, third in the FrontRunner Stakes in his most recent start after finishing second in the Del Mar Futurity, has been given the rest of the year off, trainer Keith Desormeaux said Friday.

"He's been sent to Kentucky to WinStar Farm for a little break," Desormeaux said. "We'll get him back around Dec. 1 and concentrate on a sprint campaign for him next year."

Senator L

This is a wide open race for sure  :chickendance:

peeptoad

Looks like Theory is confirmed... I'm staying well away from that one at the windows, esp. if he's a short price.

stark

Undefeated FrontRunner winner Gormley worked six furlongs Saturday morning under

Chantal Sutherland in a pedestrian 1:16.40 for the $2 million Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile next Saturday.

"His ears were up and John (Shirreffs) just wanted to keep him happy," Sutherland said. "He wasn't worried about the time at this point."

Gormley worked in company with Veneto who was clocked in 1:18.

Man o Taz

I know Practical Joke barely got there at Belmont, but I am surprised he is not getting more respect. I know Classic Empire looked really good, but I like Gormley and Practical Joke in here.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

On paper anyway I like the horse from Florida. Let's see how the post draw shakes out... might use that one, the Romans horse and Gormley.
I like Practical Joke alright, but he's a little slow compared to some of these and he had the vastly preferable trip compared to Syndergaard last out and that one almost hung on over him.

Senator L

Not This Time looks absolutely stunning
Classic Empire won his last so easy
I always enjoy a good FL bred - their tuff
Syndergaard in the Champagne was amazing ran the 1/2 in 44.3 6F in 108.3 and
still missed only by a nose
Going to be a heckuva race  :chickendance: :chickendance: :chickendance:

stark

1 Klimt Bob Baffert Rafael Bejarano 6-1
2 Syndergaard Todd A. Pletcher John Velazquez 6-1
3 Term of Art Doug F. O'Neill Joe Talamo 30-1
4 Theory Todd A. Pletcher Javier Castellano 12-1
5 Classic Empire Mark E. Casse Julien Leparoux 4-1
6 Three Rules Jose Pinchin Cornelio Velasquez 8-1
7 Gormley John A. Shirreffs Victor Espinoza 5-1
8 Star Empire Wesley A. Ward Tyler Gaffalione 30-1
9 Practical Joke Chad C. Brown Joel Rosario 6-1
10 Not This Time Dale L. Romans Robby Albarado 7-2
11 Lookin At Lee Steven M. Asmussen Ricardo Santana Jr. 20-1

Raven

I see it as a two horse race
Practical Joke and Classic Empire with Llimt and Syndergaard comparative, but not threatening at the end.

Spiro
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

peeptoad

It's between Not This Time and Three Rules for me. I quite like both of them; Three Rules probably has the "better" running style, but NTT is more proven at the level and against these types. I will also give credence to Classic Empire, Gormley and, if there is a complete pace meltdown, Lookin At Lee.

Print
User actions