Jackson Bend -- Staying in training for 2014

Started by Islandgirl45, October 30, 2013, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgirl45

I've been looking for info on Jackson Bend and his connections' plans for him and ran across this article on DRF that says he's staying in training and will be racing again next year. It's behind a paywall so I'm posting much of the article here, with its link.
(Info about Jackson Bend is the last paragraph).

10/16/2013
Florida notes: .........................
Wildcat Red comes through
You don't see too many 1-10 favorites around these parts, but on Sunday those were the odds on the promising 2-year-old Wildcat Red, who remained perfect in two starts with a 1 1/2-length triumph over stubborn pacesetter Elusive Blueboy in a first-level allowance dash going six furlongs. Wildcat Red is a son of D'wildcat trained by Jose Garoffalo for Honors Stable Corp. He had won his only previous start by eight widening lengths four weeks earlier.

"The race on Sunday was six furlongs, but I really think he's better at 6 1/2 furlongs or longer – he wants more distance," Garoffalo said. "I just didn't have any other place to run him at the moment. But I'm galloping him a mile and one-half every day looking toward the future and I think he will really be at his best when we can stretch him out to a mile."

Garoffalo said Wildcat Red would likely make his next start in the 6 1/2-furlong Sunshine Millions Sprint Prep on Nov. 9.

"I'll run him in the Florida-bred race next month, then would like to give him a little break before we get into his 3-year-old season," said Garoffalo, who may be best remembered at Gulfstream for sending out the 64-1 Yara to upset the odds-on Grace Hall in the Grade 2 Davona Dale at Gulfstream in 2012.

Jackpot next for Best Plan Yet
Best Plan Yet, easy winner of Saturday's In Reality Stakes at Calder, will bypass the Breeders' Cup Juvenile and point for the Delta Jackpot, owner-breeder Fred Brei said on Wednesday. Brei cited the fact that 2-year-olds cannot run on Lasix in the Breeders' Cup and the speed-favoring nature of the Santa Anita track as the reasons for bypassing the Juvenile with Best Plan Yet, who is trained by Stanley Gold.

Brei and Gold combined to win the 2010 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies with Awesome Feather.

Brei also said that his multiple Grade 1 winner Jackson Bend will remain in training in south Florida this winter and will race again in 2014. Jackson Bend, second in the Grade 1 Forego this summer at Saratoga, is coming off a seventh-place finish in the Grade 2 Kelso Handicap...................

jjacks1

I just LOVE Jackson Bend - not sure if him staying in training is good tho. Seems like he's lost his edge since the accident. Hope he's gonna be okay.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Islandgirl45

Quote from: jjacks1 on October 30, 2013, 08:14:29 PM
I just LOVE Jackson Bend - not sure if him staying in training is good tho. Seems like he's lost his edge since the accident. Hope he's gonna be okay.  :pony:
I love him, too. There's no one more game than JB. He put in a nice run in the Forego, lost to Strapping Groom by only a half length. He always works well in the morning, too, so maybe they think he's got another year in him. Will be interesting to see where they place him next.