HORSE RELATED TRIVIA

Started by Raven, October 30, 2013, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaroqueAgain1

Sting....Giacomo and Zenyatta?

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on February 27, 2014, 03:51:39 PM
Sting....Giacomo and Zenyatta?

Correct!  I saw a couple of Police videos the other day and it made me think of those horses.  I saw Sting live a couple of years ago and he's still exceptional, but I'll always have the vision of he, Copeland, and Summers dancing to the Ska beat of Message in a Bottle.  I remember trying to mimic that in high school.  There's a reason he does what he does and I do what I do! ;)

Blue Jeans

Good one, Curtis.  Here's an easy one ... for most of you.   8)

Name the first Florida-bred to capture the Run for the Roses and the year he won?

ETA 3/3/14   No Takers?   ???    Answer can be found at the following ...

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2014/02/27/in-the-shadow-of-giants.aspx
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Raven

This jockey( maybe the best ever) had 628 career victories from 1,412 mounts for an amazing winning percentage of .44 that has never been approached.  He also rode three winners of the Kentucky Derby!

Who was that jockey?
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Raven on March 03, 2014, 03:45:35 PM
This jockey( maybe the best ever) had 628 career victories from 1,412 mounts for an amazing winning percentage of .44 that has never been approached.  He also rode three winners of the Kentucky Derby!

Who was that jockey?

Isaac Murphy

http://nostalgichorse.com/a-nostalgic-ride/
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Raven

In this age of the internet is very hard to post a trivia question that someone can't find the answer on line!!

Thanks for the link to the article!!!

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Raven on March 04, 2014, 04:58:07 PM
In this age of the internet is very hard to post a trivia question that someone can't find the answer on line!!

Thanks for the link to the article!!!

You're quite welcome.  Where was the internet when I was going to school?   :lmao:

Raven

Quote from: Blue Jeans on March 05, 2014, 07:53:11 AM
You're quite welcome.  Where was the internet when I was going to school?   :lmao:

That makes at least two of us!! 

Raven

Three KD winners met in the same race and they finished first,second,third  in order: 5yr old first     4yr old second  3yr old third!

Who were those horses

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Raven on March 13, 2014, 08:23:36 AM
Three KD winners met in the same race and they finished first,second,third  in order: 5yr old first     4yr old second  3yr old third!

Who were those horses

It's been a whole week ... and no takers.  Dying to know the answer.   ???

Raven

OK here it goes!

It was the 1918 Fall Classic at Pimlico

George Smith (1916 KD winner) first
Omar Khayam (1917 KD winner) second
Exterminator  (1918 KD winner) third!!

As a side note: Stromboli was in the race too!!

If anyone wants to read about this race, Colin's Ghost has a write up about it!!

Blue Jeans

Holy moley!  Good one, Raven.  I chose the wrong century to start the process of elimination; I would have never gotten the answer.   :o

Interesting!

Flanders

Name the only horse to finish 3rd in all the Triple Crown races.  Bonus question:  Name the only horse that finished 5th in all the Triple Crown races.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Flanders on May 26, 2014, 07:53:58 PM
Name the only horse to finish 3rd in all the Triple Crown races.  Bonus question:  Name the only horse that finished 5th in all the Triple Crown races.

Mane Minister in 1991 was third in all races.

Hawkster in 1989 was fifth in all races.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Blue Jeans on May 29, 2014, 07:08:28 AM
Mane Minister in 1991 was third in all races.

Hawkster in 1989 was fifth in all races.

Yoohoo!  Anybody home?  Guess not.   ::)

From wiki TC:
>Only one horse, Alydar, has placed (finished second) in all three races. He was defeated by Affirmed in all three races in 1978 by a combined margin of two lengths. In addition, Mane Minister finished third in each race in 1991, and Hawkster finished fifth in each race in 1989.<

Print
User actions