HORSE RELATED TRIVIA

Started by Raven, October 30, 2013, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Thanks Curtis for the history lesson!

I dont remember seeing Cougar, as i started going to the track in early 1974 in NY. But John Henry on the other hand i've seen almost every race that he run in NY.
He was very popular in NY as you can imagine!!

And please keep on enlighten us with your wisdom!!!

Spiro
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Blue Jeans

Checked the progeny of Cindy Lou, dam of Cougar.  She had six foals born in Chile ... all their names began with the letter "C".  The two foals born in USA had names that began with the letter "G".  I'm guessing she and Cougar were sent to the USA around 1970 .... when Cougar was 4 years old.   

http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/cindy+lou2
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Flanders

Quote from: Blue Jeans on December 15, 2013, 02:17:14 PM
Checked the progeny of Cindy Lou, dam of Cougar.  She had six foals born in Chile ... all their names began with the letter "C".  The two foals born in USA had names that began with the letter "G".  I'm guessing she and Cougar were sent to the USA around 1970 .... when Cougar was 4 years old.   

http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/cindy+lou2
She actually had quite a few more born in Chile but they still all started with the letter "C".  I just added them though they aren't showing up for me yet.  She had foals every year from 1959 to 1973, with the exception of 1972.  Her first US foal, born in 1971, was bred on Southern Hemisphere time so she missed the US breeding season.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Flanders on December 15, 2013, 09:06:18 PM
She actually had quite a few more born in Chile but they still all started with the letter "C".  I just added them though they aren't showing up for me yet.  She had foals every year from 1959 to 1973, with the exception of 1972.  Her first US foal, born in 1971, was bred on Southern Hemisphere time so she missed the US breeding season.

Wow!  They're all showing up now!  Gee, how did "Mortimer" get in the picture?  Tale of Two Cities must have been on vacation that day, huh?   ??? 

That Cindy Lou was a Wonder Woman.  That is some record.  Bless her heart, and she gave the world Cougar to love forever.  Thanks for sharing that info.
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Flanders

Quote from: Blue Jeans on December 16, 2013, 06:55:06 AM
Wow!  They're all showing up now!  Gee, how did "Mortimer" get in the picture?  Tale of Two Cities must have been on vacation that day, huh?   ??? 

That Cindy Lou was a Wonder Woman.  That is some record.  Bless her heart, and she gave the world Cougar to love forever.  Thanks for sharing that info.
I love researching pedigrees and sire/produce records.  I had to double check the Mortimer's Cross foal.  I was getting used to putting in Tale of Two Cities.  Its amazing for a mare not to miss a year.  I wonder what happened to her after she came to the US?  She only had one foal from a US breeding.  That filly, while a winner, doesn't have any produce.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Flanders on December 17, 2013, 01:08:56 AM
I love researching pedigrees and sire/produce records.  I had to double check the Mortimer's Cross foal.  I was getting used to putting in Tale of Two Cities.  Its amazing for a mare not to miss a year.  I wonder what happened to her after she came to the US?  She only had one foal from a US breeding.  That filly, while a winner, doesn't have any produce.

So do I and I know diddly about pedigrees.  Would love to know Cougar's birthday and date of death.  Hope he was a September baby!  I find this horse so interesting.  Thanks for the info you've given us.  Cindy Lou steals your heart.

All I know is Cougar was born in 1966 and died 1989.

Catalina

Equibase is good for dates of birth, and they show Cougar as having been born July 1, 1966.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Catalina on December 17, 2013, 09:47:32 AM
Equibase is good for dates of birth, and they show Cougar as having been born July 1, 1966.

Thanks.  Didn't realize Equibase kept records that far back.  That's nice to know.

I always thought the Southern Hemisphere foals' birthdays began on August 1st or later.  Someone from SoAm who posted at the B-H a few months ago, gave July 1st as the date. 

Catalina

Quote from: Blue Jeans on December 17, 2013, 10:54:26 AM
Thanks.  Didn't realize Equibase kept records that far back.  That's nice to know.

I always thought the Southern Hemisphere foals' birthdays began on August 1st or later.  Someone from SoAm who posted at the B-H a few months ago, gave July 1st as the date. 

I don't know what the odds are for that July 1 date to be a generic date, that far back. 

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Catalina on December 19, 2013, 09:21:20 AM
I don't know what the odds are for that July 1 date to be a generic date, that far back.

That's what I thought.  The July 1st date was probably meant to show he was a SH foal.  However, everywhere I read .... the date August 1st is the date and not July 1st for the SH foal.  ???

>Thoroughbreds born in the Northern Hemisphere are officially considered a year older on the first of January each year; those born in the Southern Hemisphere officially are one year older on the first of August.  These artificial dates have been set to enable the standardization of races and other competitions for horses in certain age groups.<  Wiki source.

Catalina

Do you suppose the SH dates might have changed since then?  Also, I just looked at his entry again, and all the foreign race dates are marked as 1/1/and whatever the year was. 

BaroqueAgain1

It doesn't make sense to me for Aug. 1 to be the standard birthday for SH horses...that's the start of the 8th month of the year. If you assume that the "offset" between the two hemispheres is exactly six months, that would put the start of the SH year (for horses) on July 1.

Catalina

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on December 19, 2013, 12:21:30 PM
  It doesn't make sense to me for Aug. 1 to be the standard birthday for SH horses...that's the start of the 8th month of the year. If you assume that the "offset" between the two hemispheres is exactly six months, that would put the start of the SH year (for horses) on July 1.

But, wouldn't it then almost make sense for August 1 being the start of the breeding season?

Flanders

Quote from: Catalina on December 19, 2013, 08:15:23 PM
But, wouldn't it then almost make sense for August 1 being the start of the breeding season?
August 1st is the official birth date of Southern Hemisphere horses.  I don't know about other countries but Australia's breeding season doesn't open until September 1st.

curtis

There is an artist whose professional and actual families inspired the names of both a KY Derby winner and a Horse of the Year.  Name the artist and the horses.

Print
User actions